Who here likes big displays as their PC monitor? 40inch plus gang chime in

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
Once I went to a 48in C2, I simply cannot go back to anything smaller. Maybe a 42in C3 or C4 in the future but as it stands right now, my experience has been great. I sit now roughly 48inches from the display and run win scaling at 200%

I have 0 text clarity issues. The font on my win11 is sharp as hell. Gaming is awesome. I sit back in my office chair and just mouse and keyboard away.

To those who went big with their displays, are you happy? Also, how far do you sit from your monitor/TV? I sit 48in from my TV with 200% scaling. What distance do you view at?

Not me. I used the LG CX 48" as a desktop display for two years at 120/125% scaling (MacOS vs Win) and at 1m viewing distance found the screen still overwhelmingly large so I used the bottom 2/3 of it most of the time. It just happened to be the best option at the time.

Atm the LG CX 48" is in the living room as a TV and gaming display and I use a pair of 28" 4K Samsung G70A screens for work.

I wouldn't be averse to a large display, I'd just like it to be higher resolution than 4K. Samsung ARK at 6-8K? I would be interested.

Last edited:
I have a 48" LG C3. I use 150% scaling and sit about a meter away from the screen. I am very happy with the screen for gaming and media consumption.

My Desk is 80x40 inch.
As it turns out 40 inch depth makes a 50 inch Tv look a bit too small.
So i upped the size by 10% and bought a 55 inch TV as a replacement.
Since it is for work i can´t use OLED. Too many static UI parts on the screen to risk it.

Last edited:
I don't want to bother with scaling, or rather the lack thereof with some older applications. And I want to watch 4k movies.

So it is 43" for me.

I have a 48" LG C3. I use 150% scaling and sit about a meter away from the screen. I am very happy with the screen for gaming and media consumption.
How's its overall advantages compare to C2?

It's fine as long as PPI stays at 100 or above. Below that it starts looking like looking at everything through a screen door!

The LG CX 55" I use is perfect for me, and I'm 90+ percent certain I will continue to use a 55" OLED in the future. I have it on a strong wooden desk and my peripherals on a folding table next to it so there is a good distance. It's just perfect for everything and super comfy. A secondary PC uses a 24" LG 4K screen just on the edge of the folding table which extends past the desk.

I just recently bought a new TV for the living room and hooked the old one up to my gaming rig.
It's a 43" Phillips 7000 series LED IPS with a wonky 4096 x 2160 60HZ res and HDR10.
I sit about 4ft. from it and have the scaling at 175%.
It took about 2 days to get use to it, had a 32" 1080p TN LCD 120HZ before the switch.
Gaming with it is fucking glorious compared to DSR.

For work, I currently use a 48" 4K monitor in the center, and a 32" 4K on each side of it, plus a 17" lappy sometimes. At home, I use a 43" in the center, and a 32" on the right...

In both cases, I would find it extremely difficult to go back to smaller or fewer monitors

If I want/need to go really BIG, I can always take the lappy upstairs & connect it to my 75" OLED TV, but that's a whole other story
:D

when we upgraded, the wife insisted on 65, as she couldn't see details on something as sharp as 55. I was insistent on replacing the slow response of va, LCD while avoiding , ips glow from my current set, but have been running htoc with large screen since 2011

when I replace my current second PC's tn monitor, I might have to see if we have 27" ole3ds under 500 yet - otherwise, go 42

Last edited:
Reactions: Xar
like this
I went from the 55" LG CX OLED in 2020, to the 55" Samsung S95B QD-OLED in 2022, to the 65" Samsung S95C in 2023. Worth every move. I thought going 65" might be going too far. I was wrong, it's glorious for gaming. I'm sitting probably 7' from the screen. Just keep a 27" Mini-LED here on the side for static tasks. Had to be Mini-LED because once you go OLED on the main screen you can't stand any kind of backlight glow on the secondary. IPS just looks hideous to me now!

Anyone out there using a Sony A95K or A95L? If so I am curious how you like it and what you think of it compared to LG or Samsung if you have experience with those.

I'm looking to replace my 3+ year old CX with something newer and brighter in the next 6 months or so. I think I will wait for the LG G4 to arrive in Spring to make a purchase decision. I'll very likely be sticking with a 55" since its scaling just feels perfect with my setup. My eyeballs are right around 4.5 feet away from the screen in my case. Will keep CX around as a backup since it has no dead pixels or noticeable issues and I've taken good care of it.

I used to use Samsung KS7500 49" for years and just last week I upgraded to TCL C805 50". Deep desk, viewing distance about 1.5 meters. An affordable ~500 zone mini-led local dimming and 120hz with VRR and stunning HDR performance that almost rivals my OLED TV, oh my god gaming is heaven on it. 🤤 Overpriced computer monitors can go to hell.

Only downside is that in PC mode there is no local dimming so no 4:4:4 for games. But then again that doesn't really matter for games so Game mode is what I use mostly, unless I absolutely have to have full chroma subsampling but most of the time I forget about it, Game mode stays on.

Last edited:
Anyone out there using a Sony A95K or A95L? If so I am curious how you like it and what you think of it compared to LG or Samsung if you have experience with those.

I'm looking to replace my 3+ year old CX with something newer and brighter in the next 6 months or so. I think I will wait for the LG G4 to arrive in Spring to make a purchase decision. I'll very likely be sticking with a 55" since its scaling just feels perfect with my setup. My eyeballs are right around 4.5 feet away from the screen in my case. Will keep CX around as a backup since it has no dead pixels or noticeable issues and I've taken good care of it.
The A95L is being hailed as the "second coming" by reviewers. It seemed to have some firmware issues on launch, but what TV doesn't these days?

50"QN90B love this thing so much. Might consider a 43" but might very well regret it we'll see I may end up happy with a 50" forever. I'm 35" away from the screen. I like the big screen effect up close for immersion.

The A95L is being hailed as the "second coming" by reviewers. It seemed to have some firmware issues on launch, but what TV doesn't these days?
Didn't it also perform the worst of all new oleds? Burn in just a few months?

Didn't it also perform the worst of all new oleds? Burn in just a few months?
The A95L hasn't been out long enough to know, but it uses a second generation Samsung QD-OLED, which have been performing the worst in Rtings' stress testing. Their stress test is not indicative of normal use, though. My LG C8 is going on 6 years old with over 12,000 power-on hours at this point with no sign of burn-in. Going by the results from Rtings my C8 should be long dead at this point.

Reactions: t1k
like this
The Samsung S95C has the lowest input lag apparently (5.1 ms vs 5.5 ms on the LG G3 vs 8.2 ms on the Sony A95L, according to RTINGS, for 4K120), which explains why many choose it over the others.

The Samsung S95C has the lowest input lag apparently (5.1 ms vs 5.5 ms on the LG G3 vs 8.2 ms on the Sony A95L, according to RTINGS, for 4K120), which explains why many choose it over the others.
You wouldn't notice 0.4ms difference in input lag. I'd choose the G3 since it has better HDR capability.

Reactions: t1k
like this
You wouldn't notice 0.4ms difference in input lag. I'd choose the G3 since it has better HDR capability.
You're right. I doubt the Sony would even seem different to me in practice or some kind of double blind test. I think I'll hold out for the G4's release since it's not far away.

Once I went to a 48in C2, I simply cannot go back to anything smaller. Maybe a 42in C3 or C4 in the future but as it stands right now, my experience has been great. I sit now roughly 48inches from the display and run win scaling at 200%

I have 0 text clarity issues. The font on my win11 is sharp as hell. Gaming is awesome. I sit back in my office chair and just mouse and keyboard away.

To those who went big with their displays, are you happy? Also, how far do you sit from your monitor/TV? I sit 48in from my TV with 200% scaling. What distance do you view at?

I've been using a 48CX and will never go smaller. I just sit the same distance as I would a 24" 1080p screen.

It's like using 4 24" 1080p screens with no seems between, great for productivity. I don't use any scaling.

Then when I game it's super immersive with the screen covering much more of my FOV than a little tiny 24" screen, or an ultrawide which does not cover the vertical space.

I've been using a 48CX and will never go smaller. I just sit the same distance as I would a 24" 1080p screen.

It's like using 4 24" 1080p screens with no seems between, great for productivity. I don't use any scaling.

Then when I game it's super immersive with the screen covering much more of my FOV than a little tiny 24" screen, or an ultrawide which does not cover the vertical space.
I just did triples and kept my vertical space. Luckily the only game I really play these days plays fine at the rez. (12k x 2k) Still debating swapping 3x40" 4k tv's to all 42" oleds. Just swapped the center monitor this weekend. The desk is usually the issue when you go large but found a way around it. Either mount the monitor to the wall or go with a floor standing sim monitor mount. (since there are no real way to place speakers with all the real estate taken up by screens)

1701278528438.jpeg

I just did triples and kept my vertical space. Luckily the only game I really play these days plays fine at the rez. (12k x 2k) Still debating swapping 3x40" 4k tv's to all 42" oleds. Just swapped the center monitor this weekend. The desk is usually the issue when you go large but found a way around it. Either mount the monitor to the wall or go with a floor standing sim monitor mount. (since there are no real way to place speakers with all the real estate taken up by screens)

View attachment 616870

That's a good solution. If you get desk that isn't as deep you can even have the screens mounted so they go lower than your desk for a better viewing angle. All you really need is enough room for your keyboard and mouse.

1701281501113.png

Attachments

• 1701281438032.png
    1701281438032.png
    725.1 KB · Views: 0
That's a good solution. If you get desk that isn't as deep you can even have the screens mounted so they go lower than your desk for a better viewing angle. All you really need is enough room for your keyboard and mouse.
and speakers if you aren't using headphones. heh

I use a Dell P4317Q (43", 4k, 60Hz, IPS) as my productivity monitor along with a couple of 24" 1920x1200 60Hz IPS side screens in portrait mode. I like the big slab of uninterrupted real estate it offers. 43" is big enough to run with scaling off at 4k.

For gaming I use an LG 48GQ900 4k OLED. It's mounted on a stand with wheels behind my desk, and I have room to move it back a couple feet if I want. Usually I just increase the field of view in games that support it, so it spends most of its time right up against the desk. I like to roll it back a couple feet or just move my chair back if I use it to watch TV/movies.

I have an LG 55NANO85UNA 55" 4K IPS LCD TV as my primary display. My man cave is in the basement, so I have the TV literally mounted to wooden boards bolted to the ceiling joists. I run it at 4K res with 200% scaling and sit about 6 feet from it. The TV supports FreeSync and 120Hz refresh and after dialing in the picture, it looks great. Secondary display is a Dell 24" IPS touchscreen on a monitor arm I keep near me for documents and monitoring.

update:

Using a lcd TV as a monitor for work i can now attest that "ads" panels can´t properly show text up close. Not nearly as good as a va panel.

I´m switching my new 55qn90c with ads panel to a 50qn93c with va panel.

Having made more research it turns out that the qn92c/qn93c/qn94c are not only different colors. They have "Ultimate UHD Dimming Pro"
They have more local dimming zones than the qn90c (only SUPREME UHD Dimming Pro) and a second proper remote.

So samsungs ads = ultrawide viewing angle in itself that only needs a thin anti-glare layer but struggles with text and its lower contrast is visible (only) in a dark room (compared to va)
samsungs va = bgs pixellayer can better be dealt with in windows for less fringing in texts which makes it fit for work = no headache after working/reading with it for 8 hours

How to be sure what a certain models uses:
https://www.displayspecifications.com/

Last edited:
That plasma is a super monkey nipple of a display!

It is just total supreme monkey nipple, YO!

Last edited:
WTH is a super monkey nipple? :)

It is when a genetic mutation happens on a big gorilla. Or a big monkey. It forms one giant huge nipple on its chest and can feed the masses. That display is so big it can serve display lovingness to many people just like a super Monkey nipple can give milk to many a chilren.

43" hits my sweet spot for a desktop monitor. My Samsung QN90B 43" miniLED displays super sharp text and goes to 144Hz for games.

I am on my second 43" in 6 years. I use it for work and play and would not go back to smaller. Also not interested in ultrawide

I've used various Samsung TV's as monitors. I used a Samsung 48" and a 49". Of course, I wanted G-Sync and 120Hz display and moved to an Acer Predator CG437K 43" display.

Back