Two years after launch Windows 11 adoption is still waaaay behind Windows 10

That's not difficult seeing as Windows isn't trustworthy at all.
right? no one trusts windows. My parents tape over their laptop webcams cuz they don't trust anything lol. I only trust microsoft to have their best interests at heart and i am just a consumer.

Except in Insider Builds which is like one step away from being in released builds.

There are four tiers of insider builds... Canary and Dev builds are definitely nowhere near "one step away" from anything that is being released. In fact, they are on the complete other end. As was said, it's common for features and changes to come and go in those builds

Wow, I heard the same when Windows 8 came out... and yet everyone migrated. ...and then migrated to Windows 10.

You may not want it, but it will be forced onto the majority of people with the next laptop or PC they buy.

Fucking HP, That is a driver thing the bastards have an update utility that runs in the background and when it checks for updates it will auto-add it as part of the drivers like it is missing.
I ditched HP after my printers kept have mysterious firmware permafailures exactly 1 month after the warranty expired. Hmm... Also got tired of the games I had to play to use non-OEM ink - scam.

Bought a Brother multifunction laser printer years ago and have never looked back... Still going strong. Toner less expensive than HP non-OEM ink refills and lasts 3-4x as long. HP can suckit!

There's a picture of Mark Zuckerberg with tape over his webcam ... if that tells you anything.
Tired of looking at his own face?

No Adobe applications so forget about photo editing.
GIMP 2.0 is an open source application that works well for photo editing. It's clunkier to use than Adobe Photoshop, but you can do just as many things as it can. It works on Windows, as well.

Last edited:
thats not just a windows thing. half the teachers here have them covered on their macbooks too...
Windows is not alone in lack of trust.
Wow, I heard the same when Windows 8 came out... and yet everyone migrated. ...and then migrated to Windows 10.

You may not want it, but it will be forced onto the majority of people with the next laptop or PC they buy.
Windows 8 adoption was awful. Never have I needed to install Windows 8 for anyone. I stuck with Windows 7, and anyone who bought a laptop with Windows 8 would ask me to remove it for Windows 7. It was a shit OS.
GIMP 2.0 is an open source application that works well for photo editing. It's clunkier to use than Adobe Photoshop, but you can do just as many things as it can. It works on Windows, as well.
GIMP would be my last option. I use Krtia but it still sucks compared to Photoshop. There's Photopea but again not as good.
Or marking your internet connection as metered, as Lakados has mentioned a couple of times. That's hardly "hard to disable".
Nothings hard to do if you know. Who the hell would know that enabling metered would disable telemetry collection? Put a button that says, "disable all tracking". This is one of the reasons why Windows 8 was so bad. Where's the conveyance of that? What context would explain that this disables telemetry collection? What guarantee is there that this clearly unintentional action will still do the job that it was doing in future updates? These are the four C's of UI design and Microsoft has been breaking them since Windows 8.
  • control
  • conveyance
  • continuity
  • context
Although Microsoft is extremely stupid for forcing this on people, it’s easily bypassed (for now). It’s not difficult, though. When the Microsoft sign in page pops up during installation, you enter [email protected] for the email and then enter any password you like and it will throw back an error, allowing you to then make a local account. I’ve done this at least 100 times since Windows 11 was released, including recently. It’s stupid that it’s forced, though.

Alternatively, you can just make a throwaway Microsoft account that you don’t use to sign in with, and then just remove the account from Windows after everything is set up. You’ll need to make a new local account though so you don’t have some weird name for your user profile folder and then delete the one you set the computer up with.
Again, this is not easy. It's only easy after you know, and if you know you know. A user who didn't use Google or wasn't told this, would have no idea. Again, no conveyance and no context.
and thats just on home, with pro you can still just hit "domain join" and then create a local account.
Again, no conveyance and no context. I'm not sure if people here are just white knighting for Microsoft, but these design elements are intentionally made to deter users from doing this. More people need to see this video to understand why Windows 8 was a piece of crap, and why some of these elements are sneaking their way back into Windows 11. Just give people the control and conveyance with proper context to understand what each setting does. Most people would have just made a Microsoft account and be done with it, as Microsoft has intended. Nobody wants to sign in with their Microsoft account to use their PC, because nobody trusts Microsoft.

View: https://youtu.be/WTYet-qf1jo?si=Q7BOQQPxqAqr90JQ

Windows is not alone in lack of trust.
thanks, that was my point.

Again, no conveyance and no context. I'm not sure if people here are just white knighting for Microsoft,
if you are installing windows yourself, you should have the knowledge of how to do so. im not sure if you just like reeeeeing about microsoft... nobody is white knighting, only pointing out bullshit, like bringing up win8....

Nothings hard to do if you know. Who the hell would know that enabling metered would disable telemetry collection?
"obscure" and "hard" are two different things. This setting is obscure, but not hard, because it's literally clicking a button.

If you want to complain, complain about the right thing. I could agree with you in this case that this *is* obscure. On the other hand, I googled "windows 11 disable telemetry" and the very first result was to a page, complete with lots of pictures, detailing how to do it.

Nothings hard to do if you know. Who the hell would know that enabling metered would disable telemetry collection? Put a button that says, "disable all tracking". This is one of the reasons why Windows 8 was so bad. Where's the conveyance of that? What context would explain that this disables telemetry collection? What guarantee is there that this clearly unintentional action will still do the job that it was doing in future updates? These are the four C's of UI design and Microsoft has been breaking them since Windows 8.
The functionality of blocking the telemetry and advertising was brought about by Microsoft loosing a lawsuit because their automatic downloads and uploads were causing users to go over the data limits on their Internet plans. So Microsoft agreed to put in a way to declare the connections as metered so it wouldn’t do the automatic things that were destroying data caps.

But here is the text from the info menu on the setting.

How does setting my network connection to metered affect my PC?​

Any app that relies on an Internet connection to update or display info may be limited in the amount of data it can download or display. You might notice these and other effects:
  • Windows Update will only download priority updates.
  • Apps downloading from the Windows Store might be paused.
  • Start screen tiles might stop updating.
  • Offline files might not sync automatically.

There are apps that ignore the metered setting, not ones from Microsoft that I have noticed but 3’rd parties or older software might not check it. The HP and Brother crap that comes with many of their printers certainly doesn’t…

Again, this is not easy. It's only easy after you know, and if you know you know. A user who didn't use Google or wasn't told this, would have no idea. Again, no conveyance and no context.
That's strange. I thought you've been claiming how easy it is to just Google things for the last several pages.

The context is people within this forum, not the general population. So don't drag me into whatever straw man flavor of the moment you're into again.

That's strange. I thought you've been claiming how easy it is to just Google things for the last several pages.
It was a joke that you took literally. To be honest, the joke is getting funnier the most you agree to Google.
The context is people within this forum, not the general population. So don't drag me into whatever straw man flavor of the moment you're into again.
Deceptive UI changes is something that should be left in the Windows 98 and OS9 era of computing. Nobody should excuse this practice, no matter how much you think this is common knowledge. This is akin to having the F8 key to get into the boot menu, or in Android phones when holding down volume keys and power to get into the bootloader. These are obscured from normal users to avoid issues. Microsoft is doing the same thing, but not to keep you safe.
"obscure" and "hard" are two different things. This setting is obscure, but not hard, because it's literally clicking a button.
You know what I meant. Yes it's obscure.
If you want to complain, complain about the right thing. I could agree with you in this case that this *is* obscure. On the other hand, I googled "windows 11 disable telemetry" and the very first result was to a page, complete with lots of pictures, detailing how to do it.
If you have to Google it then it isn't meant to be known. Given that most people who sit down and install Windows 11 from a USB drive aren't your average user, and most likely know about these tricks with Windows 11. These are probably the same people who aren't updating to Windows 11. Why do you think Windows 11 adoption is low?

I've been a computer enthusiast since windows 3.1, and I never had to resort to outside help to find something in windows until 8 came around. It's the same with 10 and 11, options and functions are constantly moved and shuffled around with each update, for seemingly no reason or logic. I say seemingly because I'm convinced the reason is to make it harder to find certain things, until they can claim: "Nobody uses this, so we are removing the option"

I've been a computer enthusiast since windows 3.1, and I never had to resort to outside help to find something in windows until 8 came around. It's the same with 10 and 11, options and functions are constantly moved and shuffled around with each update, for seemingly no reason or logic. I say seemingly because I'm convinced the reason is to make it harder to find certain things, until they can claim: "Nobody uses this, so we are removing the option"
Yes. I’ve never been genuinely annoyed with Windows until they started to arbitrarily move things around. Apple started doing this as well.

I like the start in the middle, that's the least of what's wrong. Win 11 still can't load my Z790 boards internet connection drivers during a fresh install. That's amazing negligence. They obviously know, they just ignore it. If they ignore something as blatant as intel's latest motherboard basic driver...
Not having a connection on a fresh install of 11 can be considered a benefit to make initial setup easier. ;-)

The fact that they STILL haven't entirely replaced the control panel functionality is really absurd. There are so many places where they just gave up and bounce you to the old settings. Sometimes it's a little link text that opens the old menu, sometimes it's a button... there's probably cases where there's nothing and you get to go find it yourself.

This is one of the worst things about modern Microsoft by far. Their UI work is really just AWFUL in general, and they just can't figure it out.

And don't think other platforms are safe, it's not just desktop. Anyone who's admin'd Office 365 probably feels a cold sweat any time they get a notice that a page in the admin portal has been redesigned, because I guarantee they've literally halved the information density and added more clicks to do the same fucking thing. Why does everything have an gigantic margin drowning in gutter space? Why are there 2 colors on the entire screen? Why is the number of things being displayed in this list literally reduced by 20 items versus the old style?

I used to wonder who is asking for or driving some of these changes, because I'm pretty sure there wasn't an admin on the planet who actually preferred the changes. There's no fucking way they were getting positive feedback outside of some internal designer circlejerk.

The fact that they STILL haven't entirely replaced the control panel functionality is really absurd. There are so many places where they just gave up and bounce you to the old settings. Sometimes it's a little link text that opens the old menu, sometimes it's a button... there's probably cases where there's nothing and you get to go find it yourself.

This is one of the worst things about modern Microsoft by far. Their UI work is really just AWFUL in general, and they just can't figure it out.

And don't think other platforms are safe, it's not just desktop. Anyone who's admin'd Office 365 probably feels a cold sweat any time they get a notice that a page in the admin portal has been redesigned, because I guarantee they've literally halved the information density and added more clicks to do the same fucking thing. Why does everything have an gigantic margin drowning in gutter space? Why are there 2 colors on the entire screen? Why is the number of things being displayed in this list literally reduced by 20 items versus the old style?

I used to wonder who is asking for or driving some of these changes, because I'm pretty sure there wasn't an admin on the planet who actually preferred the changes. There's no fucking way they were getting positive feedback outside of some internal designer circlejerk.
Two things: The era of the yes-man, and the redundant UI designers trying to justify their existence. These tech companies are insanely bloated. Twitter fired 80% of their staff and after minimal problems initially, things have been working as if nothing changed. I bet MS could do the same and their products would actually improve.

Yeah, and it's like every day, they try to make it worse. By presenting more clean-looking non-functional crap. So, we have to carry around the old Control Panel, so people can actually function. I just have no idea why they can't just keep the function and do it in their "new" style if that's what they want. Which, sort of begs the question: Does Microsoft really want you to function? That may sound stupid, but, IMHO, you have to ask the question.

Two things: The era of the yes-man, and the redundant UI designers trying to justify their existence. These tech companies are insanely bloated. Twitter fired 80% of their staff and after minimal problems initially, things have been working as if nothing changed. I bet MS could do the same and their products would actually improve.

I mean, Twitter is not exactly doing well as a company after its changes, but some of it probably comes from their sheer size.

Yeah, and it's like every day, they try to make it worse. By presenting more clean-looking non-functional crap. So, we have to carry around the old Control Panel, so people can actually function. I just have no idea why they can't just keep the function and do it in their "new" style if that's what they want. Which, sort of begs the question: Does Microsoft really want you to function? That may sound stupid, but, IMHO, you have to ask the question.

Parts of Microsoft are firing on all cylinders and have been pumping out awesome development tools.

Other parts are just... beyond lost.

I mean, Twitter is not exactly doing well as a company after its changes, but some of it probably comes from their sheer size.
Yeah, but not due to any technical reasons, but because of Musk's ego. He is not very advertiser friendly.

I ditched HP after my printers kept have mysterious firmware permafailures exactly 1 month after the warranty expired. Hmm... Also got tired of the games I had to play to use non-OEM ink - scam.

Bought a Brother multifunction laser printer years ago and have never looked back... Still going strong. Toner less expensive than HP non-OEM ink refills and lasts 3-4x as long. HP can suckit!

Tired of looking at his own face?

I switched to Affinity Photo when Adobe went to the subscription model. At the time it was on sale and at $25 it was an easy purchase. It really does every
thing I need (photo editing). I just don't like Gimp's UI.

Yeah, but not due to any technical reasons, but because of Musk's ego. He is not very advertiser friendly.
His "ego" has nothing to do with it. Twitter has almost never been profitable. 2017 and 2019 were its only profitable years. Elon Musk has nothing to do with Twitter's revenue.

The sound settings is one of them. If you want to actually make changes to how sound works in Windows, you need to figure out the right mouse button clicks to get back to it. Same goes for networking settings.
Their UI changes aren't because they can't figure it out, but designed so you don't figure it out. They don't want users to know how to make changes.
You're getting worse at this with each post.
So why do you think Windows 11 adoption is low? You seem to disagree with the things I don't like about Windows 11, so I'd like to know why you think Windows 11 has slow adoption? I have my reasons.

View: https://youtu.be/kPMXxH4CvhE?si=cfsWC2bUCjT5vta3

So why do you think Windows 11 adoption is low? You seem to disagree with the things I don't like about Windows 11, so I'd like to know why you think Windows 11 has slow adoption? I have my reasons.

View: https://youtu.be/kPMXxH4CvhE?si=cfsWC2bUCjT5vta3

Because they arbitrarily cut off a massive amount of compatible hardware. People literally can't upgrade to Windows 11 like they could with 10, so they can't adopt it. Why do you randomly reply with things that the person you're replying to wasn't talking about? It's like your native form of communication is straw man arguments. It's bizarre.

His "ego" has nothing to do with it. Twitter has almost never been profitable. 2017 and 2019 were its only profitable years. Elon Musk has nothing to do with Twitter's revenue.
The facts disagree with you there, his takeover literally caused a mass exodus of advertisers. Ad revenue has been down 50% since he took over. Twitter used to be not profitable due to being bloated, now it is not profitable because the ad money dried up.

chart_eikon.jpg

Interesting fact I came across the other day. Win 11 can be downloaded straight from MS' website in ISO format. Win10 requries the media creation tool to make a iso or installer drive.

Interesting fact I came across the other day. Win 11 can be downloaded straight from MS' website in ISO format. Win10 requries the media creation tool to make a iso or installer drive.
I've always similarly downloaded the W10 ISO from Microsoft's site. At a certain point they just changed it so the drop-down menus to select the ISO were only accessible if the user agent was a phone (bizarrely) so you can just use the browser inspector to change what it reports itself as.

Not having a connection on a fresh install of 11 can be considered a benefit to make initial setup easier. ;-)
That "trick" no longer works on the latest version. It won't let you past that point in the installer without an internet connection. Unless you know the secret workaround, which involves bringing up the command line during install.

That "trick" no longer works on the latest version. It won't let you past that point in the installer without an internet connection. Unless you know the secret workaround, which involves bringing up the command line during install.
only home has that restriction.

Because they arbitrarily cut off a massive amount of compatible hardware. People literally can't upgrade to Windows 11 like they could with 10, so they can't adopt it. Why do you randomly reply with things that the person you're replying to wasn't talking about? It's like your native form of communication is straw man arguments. It's bizarre.
That's one reason. But it would be foolish to believe that the majority of whom has not yet adopted 11 yet are on "incompatible" HW.

wrong. i did two machines with pro and one with edu last friday, both worked fine this way. you click domain join, i dont have internet/account details, and continue anyways.
I think you are talking about skipping the login with a Microsoft Account bit, not the set up a network bit. How do you join a domain if there is no network connection?

I think you are talking about skipping the login with a Microsoft Account bit, not the set up a network bit. How do you join a domain if there is no network connection?
you dont, but thats how you complete setup without internet.

That's one reason. But it would be foolish to believe that the majority of whom has not yet adopted 11 yet are on "incompatible" HW.
And why would that be foolish? The only people moaning about Windows 11 are tech savvy people, which the majority of Windows users are not.

you dont, but thats how you complete setup without internet.
I know on earlier versions this was an option, I used it myself, but with the latest installer I freshly downloaded from MS using the media creation tool it was no longer the case.

The join a domain option only comes up at the microsoft account prompt. But the Microsoft account prompt only appears after you set up internet, it wouldn't let me past that.

The join a domain option only comes up at the microsoft account prompt. But the Microsoft account prompt only appears after you set up internet, it wouldn't let me past that.
When it asks you to sign into a Microsoft account, use [email protected] for the email, and for the password you can use anything you like. It'll say there's an error and then allow you to make a local account.

In any case, it's utterly ridiculous to require a MS account to continue! Even Apple will let you bypass AppleID and let you set up later.
My installs are predominately Pro and Enterprise versions and the 23H2 iso that I've been using works best with no connection and allows "limited setup" with local account creation. There are many ISO builders that let you preconfigure your ISO nowadays to remove these limits and more. Just as 24H2 SSE limits have been bypassed. It's like a game of cat and mouse. Tech users are inconvenienced but the travesty is the average Joe buying a machine at Costco, for example; is going to be using his/her MS account everywhere and have exposure.

Back