The Official [H]ard|Gaming Minecraft Server

Back up. MIght be a good idea to take those chunklaoders out of Twilight Forest too :p

Not sure what is going on still... still looking into it.

Went down while fighting the wither boss. *fingers crossed* please don't be dead! lol

I broke it by going into the nether when fweep and dg were in twilight

It's down again :/ It always seems to happen right after server lag ramps up really fast. I'm surprised there's nothing in the logs to indicate what's causing that :/

It's down again :/ It always seems to happen right after server lag ramps up really fast. I'm surprised there's nothing in the logs to indicate what's causing that :/

Yeah... something just starts loading the server down too badly and then kaboom. Hard to tell exactly what's causing the problem...

This last time it was another PermGen space error, something I don't think I can solve because I can't find a host that'll let us increase PermGen space any more.

Yeah... something just starts loading the server down too badly and then kaboom. Hard to tell exactly what's causing the problem...

This last time it was another PermGen space error, something I don't think I can solve because I can't find a host that'll let us increase PermGen space any more.

So the -XX:MaxPermSize= parameter doesn't work? Or you've already set it as high as you're allowed to? Seems this is a somewhat common problem.

So the -XX:MaxPermSize= parameter doesn't work? Or you've already set it as high as you're allowed to? Seems this is a somewhat common problem.

I don't control the java launch command. I had them increase it to 128M but that apparently is not enough, and they are unwilling to go further. I spoke to some other hosts and most won't even alter it at all.

The only way to do it myself is to switch to a virtual private serve or dedicated server, both of which are fairly expensive if we don't give up all our memory and commit to a bandwidth limit.

Ahh I see...well, on our end of things, what can we do about the Perm Size? I mean, what contributes to filling it up?

Ahh I see...well, on our end of things, what can we do about the Perm Size? I mean, what contributes to filling it up?

Not much we can do. It has to do with how Java manages memory. In short, the problem is we have too many mods. Problem is, there's no easy way to switch to another modpack with a more sane loadout.

Not much we can do. It has to do with how Java manages memory. In short, the problem is we have too many mods. Problem is, there's no easy way to switch to another modpack with a more sane loadout.

Hmm, so it's just a simple matter of too many mods? Maybe we could go over them and review and see if there are any we can do without and then just modify the pack to remove them? I know we can disable them in the launcher, but will that work the same way for running a server or would it have to be done manually?

Btw, down again :(

Hmm, so it's just a simple matter of too many mods? Maybe we could go over them and review and see if there are any we can do without and then just modify the pack to remove them? I know we can disable them in the launcher, but will that work the same way for running a server or would it have to be done manually?

Btw, down again :(

Disabling them is fine. It's a little more hassle for people, but if you guys can come up with a list of mods you don't care about and aren't using that much, that would be great.

I'll take a look at the list and try to make a list of mods I haven't used and probably wouldn't care about losing, if other people can do the same then we can compare notes and hopefully come up with a few we can get rid of.

Not sure how much memory they use on the server but a cursory glance shows a few I'm pretty sure we can just nuke and not worry about at all;

DamageIndicators - nice to have but if it saves any memory, toss it imo
BackTools - see above
Chargepads - I don't think anyone uses these, charging benches are easier/better for the most part I think? If anyone really wants to keep it then fine but I'm pretty sure we can toss this one too.

There are a bunch of others I need to look into, mostly because I don't really know what they do. That's what I've got for now though, but it's probably not much lol

Bibliocraft is a possible one but I think talent might be using it so maybe not.

Denpipes - all three denpipes mods can go as far as I'm concerned. I don't think they add much that isn't accomplished relatively easily without them.

Compactsolars - I think slacker has been doing advanced solars anyway? Advanced solars take more to make and thus, imo, are a bit more balanced. I wouldn't miss them, but it's up in the air because I don't know how other people feel.

Openperipheral can go.

That's all I can come up with, I think we're using pretty much everything else :/

I am fine with all of those mods going as I do not know what most of them even do. :)

Bibliocraft adds some decorative stuff; bookshelves, armor stands etc

Denpipes adds some buildcraft pipes that expand on bc's functionality but I think we can do without, I haven't used any yet

compactsolars is basically a cheaper way to get super-powered solar panels compared to advanced solars

openperipherals is a computercraft thing that we probably don't need

Edit: Down again :( I hate bugging you like this so much nk lol, I really hope we can disable some of these mods and solve the problem.

Does that include boards to hang tools from?

I'm not entirely sure, I think there are some vanilla things that let you do something similar? I don't know every block included in the mod or which blocks are which.

I'm not entirely sure, I think there are some vanilla things that let you do something similar? I don't know every block included in the mod or which blocks are which.

Spont may be using them. I am using the lanterns but can do away with them, if need be.

Yeah. Sorry. I don't know what to do at this point, we're hitting PermGen space issues after minutes now.

Yeah. Sorry. I don't know what to do at this point, we're hitting PermGen space issues after minutes now.

It seems like it's hitting that limit faster and faster, so something must be "building up" but what? When the server first came up we never had this problem, we could play until the restart at 5am or whatever and now it's a few minutes between crashes.

It seems like it's hitting that limit faster and faster, so something must be "building up" but what? When the server first came up we never had this problem, we could play until the restart at 5am or whatever and now it's a few minutes between crashes.

Yeah I've never run into an issue like this and Google searches aren't being helpful. Even if we got increased PermGen space the fact that its hitting the limit faster and faster says we'd just be delaying the inevitable.

Yeah I've never run into an issue like this and Google searches aren't being helpful. Even if we got increased PermGen space the fact that its hitting the limit faster and faster says we'd just be delaying the inevitable.

Yeah exactly. I read a couple posts regarding garbage collection but I don't know if that's the problem, unless that sort of thing persists through server restarts. There has to be something wonky going on because lots of people run FTB servers, some with more mods than this(ultimate has more afaik).

So for the time being: No chunkloaders in the nether, and especially no portal gun portals. The portal gun portals create huge amounts of chunk loading/unloading. Like multiple loads unloads per second per portal. If this fixes the crashes, then we'll put the chunkloaders back. If its still fine, then we've narrowed it down to the portal gun portals. I disabled all the portals in there and put the chunkloaders in chests next to where they were. If you can't get to them, don't worry about it, I'll summon you in some more loaders later.

I removed my chunkloader in the overworld after I saw this yesterday, and It doesn't seem any better so I don't think chunkloaders are causing this.

I say we can get rid of:
CreeperCollateral - If a creeper blows something up, who even replaces the "divots?"
denLib
Infinibows - Who uses enchantments anymore, plus if you have the infinity enchantment, you only need 1 arrow. 1 Arrow is nothing.
BackTools - This mod annoys me, but it is a client side mod, so people can remove it on their own I think.
BiblioCraft - Fweeple has the lanterns and Spont has the tool case but other than that, i don't think people use it.
BiblioWoods BoP } Ties in with BiblioCraft
BiblioWoods Forestry } Ties in with BiblioCraft
ChargePads
CompactSolars
DenPipes
DenPipes-Emerald
DenPipes-Forestry
FlatSigns - I use them but I can do without them, not very important.
ModularForceFieldSystem- Since we have MFFS Calclavia, aren't they both the same thing just 2 versions?
OpenPeripheral
SoulShards - We use MFR spawners/grinders anyway
MiscPeripherals
GravityGun - There is an item that acts like this with Thaumic Tinkerer. Fweeple is the only one that I have seen with it.
GateCopy - It only copies buildcraft gate settings to be pasted to another gate so you don't have to configure multiples everytime.

Last edited:
Talents list looks pretty good, added a couple more from mine; Didn't know what gatecopy was, gravity gun and soulshards are a good one, mffs I didn't know about with the two versions...we should make sure we get rid of whichever version Slacker *isn't* using.

Talents list looks pretty good, added a couple more from mine; Didn't know what gatecopy was, gravity gun and soulshards are a good one, mffs I didn't know about with the two versions...we should make sure we get rid of whichever version Slacker *isn't* using.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1703498-162-modular-force-field-system-force-fields-security-systems-and-automated-construction/
http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=9187

The first link is the Calclavia version and the latter is the classic version. I think Slacker is using the Classic version and that is the one that I am more familiar with.

Based on the textures alone, yeah, it looks like Slacker is using the classic version so we can probably dump that one(edit: The Calclavia one).

Last edited:
Ok lets test this.

Disable The Following Mods:

BiblioCraft
BiblioWoods-BOP
BiblioWoods-Forestry
ChargePads
CompactSolars
DamageIndicators
DenPipes
DenPipes-Emerald
DenPipes-Forestry