Star Wars Outlaws

polonyc2

Fully [H]
open world Star Wars game...coming in 2024

Skydance New Media today announced a collaboration with Lucasfilm Games to develop and produce a narrative-driven, action-adventure game featuring an original story in the Star Wars galaxy....the game is from award-winning writer and director Amy Hennig, a game-industry legend whose credits include the blockbuster series Legacy of Kain, Jak and Daxter, and Uncharted

“I’ve often described how seeing Star Wars in 1977 essentially rewired my 12-year-old brain, shaping my creative life and future indelibly,” said Hennig, president, Skydance New Media. “I’m elated to be working with Lucasfilm Games again to tell interactive stories in this galaxy that I love”...

“During the Xbox Games Showcase on Sunday, Microsoft and Ubisoft revealed a cinematic trailer for a new Star Wars game, titled Star Wars: Outlaws. It’s an open-world game that’s set to release in 2024.
“Experience the first-ever open world Star Wars game, set between the events of The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi,” according to the YouTube trailer’s description. “Explore distinct planets across the galaxy, both iconic and new. Risk it all as Kay Vess, an emerging scoundrel seeking freedom and the means to start a new life, along with her companion Nix. Fight, steal, and outwit your way through the galaxy’s crime syndicates as you join the galaxy’s most wanted.””

https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/11/23757119/star-wars-outlaws-open-world-ubisoft-xbox-games-showcase

Wonder how this will compare to Fallen Order/Survivor. Obviously looks like there are no light sabers, but it is still action adventure. Sounds like it will be a longer, open world game. But aside from open world and no light sabers what else does it offer?

wasn't Amy Hennig involved with the writing for that Forspoken game?...so her name definitely doesn't hold the same prestige as in her Uncharted days...but I'm still really looking forward to this...open world Star Wars game!

Sandbox no doubt. Going to be the 15th iteration of Assasin's creed but with a star wars skin. ill pass

That is what I worry about. It does say action adventure, but I wonder if it will essentially be an action RPG like recent Assassin's Creed games. I assume it will otherwise I am not sure how it will standout from EA's series, aside from lacking light sabers. Jedi Survivor also has a lot of platforming apparently, so that can't be what sets this apart.

EA might suck, but at least they do offer some different types of games whereas Ubisoft everything is essentially the same.

wasn't Amy Hennig involved with the writing for that Forspoken game?...so her name definitely doesn't hold the same prestige as in her Uncharted days...but I'm still really looking forward to this...open world Star Wars game!
She was involved with the initial concept and pitch to Square Enix, but she wasn't involved with the final product. None of the big names on the credits for the game actually wrote anything for the final game. Allison Rymer was the lead writer on the final product.

Gary Whitta talks about what happened with the game. It boils down to the suits coming back after talking to their consultants and DEI people and asking for something completely different. Both Whitta and Hennig noped out at that point.

https://www.eurogamer.net/forspoken-story-nothing-like-original-pitch-says-gary-whitta

The shooting both on and off the bike looks sloppy. Maybe they can make it better with more interesting weapons but if you're stuck with basic weapons I can see the combat being very dull. Town design looks okay. At least there are cutscenes and whatnot when meeting a character I assume is important. Will this have a branching story with choices or will it be a linear story? I don't mind either, just has to be done right.

the gameplay footage looks really good!...I love that it's not the same type of gameplay as the recent EA games (Fallen Order and Survivor)...Fallen Order and Jedi: Survivor were both excellent but that was mainly due to game director Stig Asmussen...hopefully Ubisoft/Massive Entertainment can keep up the hot streak!

Last edited:
Might be decent, but the claustrophobic over the shoulder POV is nauseating. The reticle, hit markers and other UI elements also look a bit shit and low res.

Might be decent, but the claustrophobic over the shoulder POV is nauseating. The reticle, hit markers and other UI elements also look a bit shit and low res.
The game is still a year from release. Assets might not be final at this point. I didn't find the FOV to be narrow. If you want a claustrophobic third-person camera, play Gears of War.

My wife's not into the whole Soul'ish aspect of Fallen Order and Survivor, but she's all about this one. I figure I'll end up playing it as a result.

I can't behind this....the protagonist is Hanna Solo....and I'm sure it's the same Ubisoft crap we have all seen.
It would be better if they actually gave you a choice of the protagonist like Shepard in Mass Effect... But few ever learn and it would cost actual money to use 2 actors and mo cap them both.

I'm wondering how open it really is...
I would imagine it will be pretty open as it is almost certainly going to be a Ubisoft game. Ubisoft only makes one game. You explore an open world, climb up tall structures to open up the map, collect tons and tons of different kinds of collectables and murder lots of dudes. If you want to murder dudes in a historical setting with a blade, you play Assassin's Creed. If you want to murder dues with a gun in a modern setting you play Far Cry. If you want to murder dudes in a near-future setting with a cellphone you play Watch Dogs. Now if you want to murder dudes with a blaster in a sci-fi setting you play Star Wars.

While there are minor differences in every game, fundamentally it is the same Ubisoft game and there's no reason to believe this will be any different. So I would image it is pretty open world, as the Ubisoft games are.

It looks better than I expected it to from that trailer. Being an Ubisoft game is probably both good and bad, their games try to appeal to too many which results in a more watered down gameplay experience that's a little too similar across IPs but I also think that they do a good job of creating interesting and atmospheric open worlds and their games tend to be fairly polished(at least after the first major round of patches).
I'm wondering how open it really is...
I would guess they'll follow the trend that they have with the last few FC and AC games and make most areas available from fairly early on while making later areas have a higher difficulty level to discourage you from going someplace too much before the story directs you there. I could also see them unlocking planets or groups of planets as the main story takes you to them since it would make more sense than blocking off contiguous areas with invisible walls like they'd have to do for most of the FC and AC games.

I would imagine it will be pretty open as it is almost certainly going to be a Ubisoft game. Ubisoft only makes one game. You explore an open world, climb up tall structures to open up the map, collect tons and tons of different kinds of collectables and murder lots of dudes. If you want to murder dudes in a historical setting with a blade, you play Assassin's Creed. If you want to murder dues with a gun in a modern setting you play Far Cry. If you want to murder dudes in a near-future setting with a cellphone you play Watch Dogs. Now if you want to murder dudes with a blaster in a sci-fi setting you play Star Wars.

While there are minor differences in every game, fundamentally it is the same Ubisoft game and there's no reason to believe this will be any different. So I would image it is pretty open world, as the Ubisoft games are.

You just described most modern games. What really sets Ubisoft's formula apart is how disconnected they've gradually made the stories and actions in recent games. The plots are generally more like a brainstorm than something with a coherent and structure flow, with arrows pointing towards thought bubbles. Thing happens, and then this bad character does that evil thing. You then find out there are three more bad people who do horrible things, and you follow these arrows to check them off the list. Along the way you meet Generic Black Man, who works alongside Generic Questionable Woman/Man Guy. They talk and voice act, but it is very phoned in.

The gameplay itself has fallen into a similar formula. You have a lot of repeating activities and main mission/stories may not differ that much from the dozens of side activities you do. You may see the exact same cutscene/music/moment played on screen a few dozen times in a game. For example in Assassin's Creed Valhalla most story sequences end with a battle where your character does the same praying animation and the same music plays as you clear yet another castle which essentially plays out the same as the previous 10. You spend more time doing "side quests", which aren't really optional unless you want the game to be impossibly difficult to complete due to lack of leveling, and do lots of touch and goes to markers on the map. You spend 5 minutes running somewhere, listening to a generic conversation for two minutes. Then you have to run somewhere else for another five minutes.

For lack of a better word, the games tend to feel like a puzzle. It fits together but you can clearly see the seams where each part is just slotted in to connect the gaps.

I am really hoping this game can be better. By having a fixed, default character is showing it is a step in the right direction. You can better define and create a character if it is fixed rather than having it randomized. With luck they decided to do this with the story and gameplay but I have strong doubts. I think Ubisoft is too stubborn, but perhaps they will impress me.

You explore an open world, climb up tall structures to open up the map, collect tons and tons of different kinds of collectables and murder lots of dudes...

sounds like Horizon: Zero Dawn or any number of non-Ubisoft games as well

You just described most modern games. What really sets Ubisoft's formula apart is how disconnected they've gradually made the stories and actions in recent games. The plots are generally more like a brainstorm than something with a coherent and structure flow, with arrows pointing towards thought bubbles. Thing happens, and then this bad character does that evil thing. You then find out there are three more bad people who do horrible things, and you follow these arrows to check them off the list. Along the way you meet Generic Black Man, who works alongside Generic Questionable Woman/Man Guy. They talk and voice act, but it is very phoned in.

The gameplay itself has fallen into a similar formula. You have a lot of repeating activities and main mission/stories may not differ that much from the dozens of side activities you do. You may see the exact same cutscene/music/moment played on screen a few dozen times in a game. For example in Assassin's Creed Valhalla most story sequences end with a battle where your character does the same praying animation and the same music plays as you clear yet another castle which essentially plays out the same as the previous 10. You spend more time doing "side quests", which aren't really optional unless you want the game to be impossibly difficult to complete due to lack of leveling, and do lots of touch and goes to markers on the map. You spend 5 minutes running somewhere, listening to a generic conversation for two minutes. Then you have to run somewhere else for another five minutes.

For lack of a better word, the games tend to feel like a puzzle. It fits together but you can clearly see the seams where each part is just slotted in to connect the gaps.

I am really hoping this game can be better. By having a fixed, default character is showing it is a step in the right direction. You can better define and create a character if it is fixed rather than having it randomized. With luck they decided to do this with the story and gameplay but I have strong doubts. I think Ubisoft is too stubborn, but perhaps they will impress me.
Ubisoft has never had great characters, dialog, or stories. Their focus has always been more on world creation and gameplay that are usually served well enough with their paint by numbers type storyline.

From the trailer I'd say that they did a good job of creating that gritty SW atmosphere in a visually appealing manner which should help make up for a weak story and mediocre characters/dialog if the gameplay is fun too.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
The game is listed in the Ubi store but nothing on Steam or Epic. Plus it a 2024 game.

If they do it right I can get something out of Star Wars Ass Creed. We will see.

Back