Steam Deck with Upgraded 1TB nvme 4.0 using a 3.0 slot(I think thats what the Steam Deck uses) So far loading has been seamless through the first Level/Prologue. So if you any NVME m.2 you should be fine.

Started playing last night. The game looks absolutely beautiful on my FO48U and plays great on mouse & keyboard. I have no idea what some reviewers were talking about when they said texture quality is a lot worse compared to the PS5. The PC version is better in every way. I'm using DLAA with frame generation and Reflex, averaging 110 FPS with all other settings at their highest. Unfortunately I am experiencing crashes every 20-30 minutes at the moment. No doubt Nixxes will address the issue in quick fashion.
is there really going to be any noticeable difference between PCIe 3.0 vs PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives in terms of DirectStorage? I mean maybe a few milliseconds or 1-2 seconds at the extreme most but I can't believe there will be any real-world difference...even the difference between NVMe vs SSD is milliseconds

Rift Sequence Loading- NVME Gen 3 vs SATA SSD vs HDD [DirectStorage 1.2]

If the game used all the available bandwidth of PCI-E 4.0 then there would be a small noticeable difference, but it's still going to be diminishing returns.
With the regular HDD "winning" some of the round would probably be nice to have an average, seem to be something noisy going on (maybe very little from the drive if anything at all are needed in some transition).

Maybe with fast meteor Lake-Ryzen 9000, DDR5 9200, game patchs, direct storage 1.3. faster GPU on pci-e 5.0 it will start to show more difference from top to bottom or 128-256gig of DDR5 will become cheap and the whole game made to fit on a PS5 will simply be loaded in ram anyway.
The HDD results in the video mirror what my experience was. I would not recommend it. SATA SSD are cheap now, so that is the bare minimum I would use.

I have had 2 crashes in about 1 hour of play. Otherwise things have been pretty solid on the steam deck. default Medium nets around 45FPS is most area's and drops into the mid to low 30's in very heavy area's. Controls are good on Deck. But be warned this will push the deck pretty hard(basically max tdp). I also have all the tweaks enabled from Cryo Utilities, 4GB Frame Buffer, and undervolt of 20Mv crossed the board atm. So this is the best case scenario for the deck.

Intrigued by this game, haven't played any in the R&C series but like the graphical style and gameplay looks fun. Gonna wait for a sale though, $79.99CAD is a lot.

Intrigued by this game, haven't played any in the R&C series but like the graphical style and gameplay looks fun. Gonna wait for a sale though, $79.99CAD is a lot.
so far about 2 hours in, solid game. graphics are really good and art work all top notch. gameplay is fun. This is my first R&C game. Don't regret my purchase. being a new game it's gonna be a bit for a sale

Gonna wait for a sale though
Yeah, the PS5 version has been on sale for $30 USD several times in the past couple years, so I'm not even considering a purchase on PC until it hits at least that price point. Also Nixxes needs to fix the fuck outta this game. By the time I get around to it, there should be at least a few patches.

being a new game it's gonna be a bit for a sale
Well new on PC. Still an old game, and shouldn't be $60.

Intrigued by this game, haven't played any in the R&C series but like the graphical style and gameplay looks fun.
This is my first R&C game.
I'm a big fan of the series, played them most of them several times. I shared some of my thoughts on the series over at thefpsreview forums:
"The only R&C games I didn't care for were the very first one, and the last one on PS3 Into The Nexus. The 2nd game Going Commando got me into the series after that first game almost kept me away. It was just okay though. The 3rd game Up Your Arsenal was pretty dang awesome (went through it twice, 2nd time with the remaster on PS3). The 4th PS2 game Deadlocked was also a great game, and I played through that game a ridiculous amount of times. Your gear carries over into each New Game+ run, so I maxed the shit outta weapons and certain upgrades/abilities after all those runs. Then the series took a slightly different turn on PS3 with the R&C Future series. The first game in that series Tools of Destruction was pretty good, went through that one twice. There was also the smaller standalone DLC game that followed it, Quest For Booty, which wasn't bad. But the next game, A Crack In Time, was in my opinion the absolute height of R&C, and definitely the best game in the series. I played through that one at least a couple times too. Then some of the devs who were the main driving force behind the series left Insomniac, and we got Into The Nexus. Ugh. I would have preferred it if that one hadn't come out. Also the storyline that started with Tools of Destruction and continued with A Crack In Time never got its conclusion. So when the series got a remake of the first game that was also a reboot for the series on PS4 in 2016, I didn't hope for much. I was pretty wrong about the game though, it was good. I borrowed that one and a PS4 to play it before I had my own PS4, and then later Sony gave the game away for free (which is when I did my 2nd run with the game in New Game+ mode). Not the best game in the series, there are others I prefer, but still a very nice comeback after Into The Nexus. So I had been looking forward to Rift Apart. Heard good things about it from friends who played it."

"Oh yeah, about the side R&C games: the PSP game Size Matters was barely okay. I didn't bother to finish it. Secret Agent Clank on PSP was also okay I guess, but again I lost interest and didn't finish it. I've never played the co-op multiplayer game All 4 One, or Full Frontal Assault which I don't even remember what that game is. Those two games were from that whole dark time period between A Crack In Time and R&C 2016, so I'm not expecting either of those to be decent. Don't think I will go outta my way to try 'em out."
(https://forums.thefpsreview.com/thr...game-for-pc-sometime-in-july.12727/post-71839)

I'm just REALLY fucking happy that there's finally an R&C game on PC. Really looking forward to playing Rift Apart eventually.

1690620469756.png

1690620493986.png

1690620540452.png

Still can't believe how good it looks!

this sounds like a must own on PC if you're into high end visuals and new technology...there are still some issues with ray-tracing rendering according to the Digital Foundry breakdown so I'm fine wafting a month or 2

good to see so many new titles using new technology such as DirectStorage 1.2, Unreal Engine 5.2 etc

this sounds like a must own on PC if you're into high end visuals and new technology...there are still some issues with ray-tracing rendering according to the Digital Foundry breakdown so I'm fine wafting a month or 2

good to see so many new titles using new technology such as DirectStorage 1.2, Unreal Engine 5.2 etc
This is using UR5?

Well the game plays like a dream on the computer in Sig. Max details 1440P and FSR 2.1 and dynamic FPS target of 65FPS. V-SYNC off. I hope AMD gets some sweet RT enabled soon. Also New driver from AMD on 7/25

Less the technology now that we know the inclusion of DirectStorage makes no difference to loading performance and actually hampers framerates!

DS On 30-07-2023, 22:09:20 RiftApart.exe benchmark completed, 3315 frames rendered in 35.890 s Average framerate : 92.3 FPS Minimum framerate : 76.9 FPS Maximum framerate : 105.9 FPS 1% low framerate : 62.9 FPS 0.1% low framerate : 41.0 FPS DS Off 30-07-2023, 22:18:32 RiftApart.exe benchmark completed, 3599 frames rendered in 35.516 s Average framerate : 101.3 FPS Minimum framerate : 91.8 FPS Maximum framerate : 112.3 FPS 1% low framerate : 75.0 FPS 0.1% low framerate : 45.2 FPS

You can test by deleting the 2 directstorage files in the game dir and running the game.

There is no increase in CPU usage either, both still 50% max on my 12700KF.

Also, how good does this look the further into the game you go:

HCHy8wj.jpg

NpABdrx.jpg

RqdPJUz.jpg

wShNZ74.jpg

xYU7qsP.jpg

ZXvOweq.jpg

Game runs flawless on 12700K/3080 @ 2K /144. Get 100 FPS at ultra with DLSS set at quality.
No stutter when game goes to cutscene, no textures pop in either. RT is well implemented.

This is the 1tb WD Black SN770 with game mode switch turned on in WD dash board, little different way of doing it from the X Box game bar for direct storage I guess? native 1080p on a 4K TV that also has it's own game mode, this is my $289.98 Best Buy combo 7600x / B650 / RX 6700 10Gb. doing overlay of AB made the game crash and I just left it o

Last edited:
I just skimmed through the movie, seems only 1080p available and no 4K so not as easy to pick out detail but overall there's a lot less complexity in the CGI movie lol, the game looks more CG than the CG movie :D

This is the 1tb WD Black SN770 with game mode switch turned on in WD dash board, little different way of doing it from the X Box game bar for direct storage I guess? native 1080p on a 4K TV that also has it's own game mode, this is my $289.98 Best Buy combo 7600x / B650 / RX 6700 10Gb. doing overlay of AB made the game crash and I just left it off!

Thats a smoking deal if you got all that for jut 289$!!!

another patch released (version 1.728.0.0)

-Resolved texture streaming issues that could result in certain textures remaining low resolution
-Fixed visual issues with water reflections that occurred when ambient occlusion was set to anything other than SSAO
-Resolved an issue that caused the interact button prompt to remain visible on the screen
-Fixed a visual issue with weapon previews at the vendor when using ultra-wide resolutions
-Various bug fixes, stability improvements and optimizations

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1895880/view/3669922006626099753

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5475?=&linkId=100000213486000

This hotfix addresses the following issue:

[Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart] Performance fluctuations due to issues between DirectStorage and some in-game settings

Is there no way to download this through Geforce Experience? When I run the installer it asks if I want to install just the driver or driver + Experience. I assume installing just the driver will leave Experience intact.

For performance I am hearing some mixed things. For Nvidia users, should we disable Nvidia Reflex Low Latency? Read about stutters with that enabled.

Hotfix drivers are always via the website not GFE. Just installing them with GFE in the installer won't change anything in GFE you have already, excluding it won't remove it either.

Reflex is pointless in this game anyway, since the mouse input and latency is so low anyway. The gist is that RTXIO is still flaky, the frame pacing/fps is still higher manually deleting the directstorage files with this new driver. This is a game implementation issue it seems more than an Nvidia driver issue.

is there really going to be any noticeable difference between PCIe 3.0 vs PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives in terms of DirectStorage? I mean maybe a few milliseconds or 1-2 seconds at the extreme most but I can't believe there will be any real-world difference...even the difference between NVMe vs SSD is milliseconds

Rift Sequence Loading- NVME Gen 3 vs SATA SSD vs HDD [DirectStorage 1.2]

On top of that, the tech got overtaken by memory prices. 32 gigs is no longer an unreasonable amount for medium end builds (and even wouldn't be that out of place for low-ends). That's nearly half the size of the entire game.

With console's ssd sizes being what they are, there's only going to be a few edge cases where you will notice the direct storage difference during gameplay for quite a few years to come.

Is there no way to download this through Geforce Experience? When I run the installer it asks if I want to install just the driver or driver + Experience. I assume installing just the driver will leave Experience intact.

For performance I am hearing some mixed things. For Nvidia users, should we disable Nvidia Reflex Low Latency? Read about stutters with that enabled.
The last time I tried installing just the driver it uninstalled GeForce Experience.

I didn't like the shutter on my video falling, being it's a WD Black SD770 in Gen 4 x 4 running the game, I guess RT being on could of cause it or Re Live, I have a Samsung 970 Evo Plus in slot 2 on this board to test yet with this game.

Is there anyway to turn off blur when running? I turned off motion blur and depth of field, but still have quite bad blur when running.

PC Patch 1.815.00

-Resolved a crash on start-up that could occur on Linux systems or configurations where NVIDIA Streamline is not active
-Fixed an incorrect prompt display for the Chain Select option at Mrs. Zurkon when using an Xbox controller
-Fixed an issue that could cause a visual jitter effect on water bodies and puddles
-Various user interface improvements and bug fixes for Photo Mode and other in-game menus and popups

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1895880/view/3668798010110306108

Back