Lenovo Legion Pro 7i 13900HX RTX4080 32GB 1TB - $2202.03

Convince me not to buy this laptop please

https://www.newegg.com/core-black-m...m_mmc=snc-social-_-sr-_-34-156-475-_-08132023

1899 with a free 170 dollar MSI bag it has a 12900K and a 4080 the screen is FHD 1920x1200 res on a 16 inch IPS display 144hz 16gb ram 1tb nvme has almost 500 nearly 5 star reviews

I'm very tempted..... Very..........
For real? Crappy screen. FHD 144 on a 4080? Wasted. Probably low brightness. Last gen CPU.

For $200 more or so you could have got a top of the line Lenovo.

The bag is just a distraction from buying a bad screen and old hardware.

I'm seeing pretty high CPU temps and have experienced a few crashes with the Lenovo in Hogwarts but it could just be the game. It hits about 98C. Is this a normal temp? GPU doesn't exceed 80C.

I'm seeing pretty high CPU temps and have experienced a few crashes with the Lenovo in Hogwarts but it could just be the game. It hits about 98C. Is this a normal temp? GPU doesn't exceed 80C.
Probably should look up user experiences with that model. With my Dell G16 it was known that the Intel chips ran hotter and used more battery than the Ryzen chips.

I'm assuming you're using a hard surface because that made a large difference vs soft surface/lap on the Dell.

For real? Crappy screen. FHD 144 on a 4080? Wasted. Probably low brightness. Last gen CPU.

For $200 more or so you could have got a top of the line Lenovo.

The bag is just a distraction from buying a bad screen and old hardware.
It's not the FHD 1080p that's holding me back. That's good PPI for the size, even higher than my 4k 50.

What is holding me back is the 45% NTSC spec of the display. If it was 72% NTSC the trigger would have probably been pulled by now lol.

Gosh darn it ...

Been considering the Lenovo also...

What are the specs of the Lenovo screen? Do you have the display specs by chance?

Idk. I expect more ppi from a laptop since it's significantly closer than a monitor. If I'm paying that much money it better have a nice screen. FHD/144 is probably going to be nothing but cheap shit.

Probably should look up user experiences with that model. With my Dell G16 it was known that the Intel chips ran hotter and used more battery than the Ryzen chips.

I'm assuming you're using a hard surface because that made a large difference vs soft surface/lap on the Dell.
Yeah, it's on a hardwood table so restriction shouldn't be the issue.

I'm amazed with the amount of hot air this thing pushes out though and the keyboard is barely warm to the touch during that. I'll look for reviews but I'm thinking it might be normal. The crashing is not, of course but that could very well be a driver issue.

Max wattage it pulls for just the CPU is 175W that I've seen which sounds insane. I'm actually a little surprised the temps haven't exceeded 100C pulling that much. Overall I'm very pleased with this machine and do not have any regrets upgrading over my 2019 Acer Triton 500. The keyboard on that thing was HOT to touch while gaming and was distracting.

I'm actually a little surprised the temps haven't exceeded 100C pulling that much.
It might be hitting throttle temp.

The Dell pushes out a lot of heat, except it also gets part of the keyboard hot lol. I have heard of the Intel chips in my model hitting 95+ and throttling.

It's not the FHD 1080p that's holding me back. That's good PPI for the size, even higher than my 4k 50.

What is holding me back is the 45% NTSC spec of the display. If it was 72% NTSC the trigger would have probably been pulled by now lol.

Gosh darn it ...

Been considering the Lenovo also...

What are the specs of the Lenovo screen? Do you have the display specs by chance?
It sounds like you have the itch to buy but the laptop in this thread is leaps and bounds better. Sure, the MSI has a 4080 but everything is last gen. The screen on this is 100% sRGB compliant and about 72% Adobe compliant. I'm not sure about NTSC. Check the review here. I REALLY wanted miniled but ultimately all the other features are what sold me on this one.

Idk. I expect more ppi from a laptop since it's significantly closer than a monitor. If I'm paying that much money it better have a nice screen. FHD/144 is probably going to be nothing but cheap shit.
That also pushes the cpu and gpu more creating more heat and can throttle easier which for a laptop can be pushing to it's thermal limit. I don't blame you for wanting higher ppi. But 1080p on a 16" screen is sufficient. For me that isn't the issue. It's the brightness and color accuracy that are are the trade offs for the big horsepower and bargain price. The thing is with that bargain price you get a bargain display lmao.

Gonna review the Lenovo display...

It sounds like you have the itch to buy but the laptop in this thread is leaps and bounds better. Sure, the MSI has a 4080 but everything is last gen. The screen on this is 100% sRGB compliant and about 72% Adobe compliant. I'm not sure about NTSC. Check the review here. I REALLY wanted miniled but ultimately all the other features are what sold me on this one.
I did have the itch until I discovered the specs of the display. I fully agree with you. The 100srgb and 72 adobe is exactly what I am looking for minimal specs. Need to review the Lenovo specs again looks good.

Ya it's like the bare minimum acceptable display lol
Yeah. Aside from the resolution, hz, and gsync it really doesn't look a whole better to me than my Triton. And I'm spoiled with OLED's at home.

What do you plan to use this laptop for? Do you travel a lot? I ultimately succumbed because of the price and the fact that I don't use it THAT much. This laptop will be used for a bit of travel, but mainly at the family cabin because my nephews sleep in the room with the gaming machine and I can't use it after 8:30PM since that's their bedtime. :p

High temps are very normal for 12th and 13th gen mobile Intel - use ThrottleStop or the built-in tuning tools in Lenovo Vantage to tame.

Just saw this on slickdeals:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-p...1tb-ssd-abyssal-black/6548464.p?skuId=6548464

Now idk how the Acer laptop is as a platform, but now that's a screen worth looking at.
The Lenovo Legion display is quite good. I had two of the SCAR 16 mini LED display laptops - and yeah, it's gorgeous but there's no point when the laptop is 10 C hotter than the Lenovo with very similar specs.

If you think the Legion's screen is bad - you're in for a treat with the rest of the laptops out there. ASUS' SCAR 17 come to mind with its 300nit screen.

If you think the Legion's screen is bad - you're in for a treat with the rest of the laptops out there. ASUS' SCAR 17 come to mind with its 300nit screen.
Lol I don't think the Legion's screen is bad. But miniled with 1000 nit (peak I assume) brightness sounds a lot more exciting than the usual IPS fare.

Lol I don't think the Legion's screen is bad. But miniled with 1000 nit (peak I assume) brightness sounds a lot more exciting than the usual IPS fare.
Yeah. It's an amazing screen on the SCAR 16. That's why I bought a retail one and a "custom" one (re-paste) - still hotter than heck.

Yeah. It's an amazing screen on the SCAR 16. That's why I bought a retail one and a "custom" one (re-paste) - still hotter than heck.
Wonder if the Acer cools any better and maybe the 18" can fit more of it (cooling)?

Wonder if the Acer cools any better and maybe the 18" can fit more of it (cooling)?
I'm sure. The SCAR 18 (versus the 16) is fantastic - but then dunder head ASUS didn't have the mini LED screen at the 18" chassis side. So it is pick your poison.

Gizmoslips favorite laptop is i believe the scar 16. I'm sure it is a sweet laptop but It's a bit pricey.

Yeah. Aside from the resolution, hz, and gsync it really doesn't look a whole better to me than my Triton. And I'm spoiled with OLED's at home.

What do you plan to use this laptop for? Do you travel a lot? I ultimately succumbed because of the price and the fact that I don't use it THAT much. This laptop will be used for a bit of travel, but mainly at the family cabin because my nephews sleep in the room with the gaming machine and I can't use it after 8:30PM since that's their bedtime. :p
Going on business trips for/with my wife for a week at a time twice a year then on vacation for another week at a time twice a year. I am tired of not having anything to game on in the hotel rooms. Not sure how much I would use it plugged in out in public though as I'm not sure how comfortable I'll be full on gaming at a say coffee shop or any public lounge that has wifi being that I need to plug into the electricity and plug in a mouse and wear a headset (or small wireless Bluetooth ones) I wonder if I would be feeling embarrassed full on gaming in public lmao it's so easy to nerd out in the comfort of my private PC room 🤓

Just saw this on slickdeals:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-p...1tb-ssd-abyssal-black/6548464.p?skuId=6548464

Now idk how the Acer laptop is as a platform, but now that's a screen worth looking at.
I have the weaker sibling Acer Predator Helios 18 with 13700HX and 4060 and I've been very impressed with the build quality and performance. Never had much experience with Acer as the only thing I really considered of theirs at one time was their 3440x1440p UW G-Sync display during that 1st gen of G-sync UWs, but ended up going AW. But definitely impressed overall. Its screen isn't nearly as nice as the Mini-LED 1440p on that unit and obviously isn't as fast as the mobile 4080, but it runs Diablo 4 silky smooth at 130-150FPS with everything maxed except textures (High).

The screen is probably the least impressive part of the laptop as it has typical IPS glow and is matte finish, so its not nearly as good looking as glossy for 2D productivity, and not as nice as OLED or mini LED for gaming, but still, very impressive overall in games for response rate, lack of ghosting, frame pacing etc. 1920x1200 is also well matched for the mobile 4060 and the 13700HX is a beast of a CPU. Keyboard and chassis feel amazing, much nicer than other laptops I've owned or had access to with mechanic keys with decent travel, good backlighting, metal chassis and wrist rest with large track pad that is easy to click.

Lots of connectivity including TB4 on the back, full size HDMI out, full RJ45 ethernet, WiFi 6E and still has full USB-A for backward compatibility. There's an extra m.2 slot for expandability and you can upgrade the RAM though you probably don't need it with 32GB. At some point I may upgrade mine from 16 to 32GB but its not a huge priority of mine. It comes with Dolby Atmos-X virtual surround and while the default volume results in some distortion and audio clipping, it does sound good overall with lots of ambient detail and background being accentuated.

In terms of power and cooling, I haven't plugged it into a kill-a-watt but the specs on the site for my laptop are wrong, I think it says 90W max but the power brick is 300W with massive cables lol. Its slightly smaller than the AW X-51W 300W brick I got for my mini-HTPC and every bit as heavy, I think roughly 4lbs by itself. Fans are audible under full load but they are not the annoying high pitched whine of small high rpm fans, more like a constant gush of air. The heat being exhausted does feel warm while gaming, so I can only imagine more heat and noise for the 4080 versions.

Not a huge laptop user myself but I have had some gaming laptops before and this is the best experience I've had with one so far. The 18" is massive and I wouldn't consider it a laptop, its more a desktop replacement that you move to a location and set it there for a week. I couldn't see myself constantly connecting and disconnecting this thing for any gaming session less than 3-4 hours undisturbed. I mainly got it for summer beach trips and vacations, and when at home I use it to dual-box my wife's account for extra D4 loot lol, or to check the vendors for new stuff every hour while working from home.

The 18" is massive and I wouldn't consider it a laptop, its more a desktop replacement that you move to a location and set it there for a week. I couldn't see myself constantly connecting and disconnecting this thing for any gaming session less than 3-4 hours undisturbed.
Yeah this point I get. I'm in a bit of a unique situation where I do overnight maintenance work for 10 hours, but really like 7 hours of it is on call waiting for things to happen. My Dell G15 (or16, I forget at times) gets a lot of use, but it has a pretty basic screen and a 3060 (125w model at least), but I kind of want something more now that I use the laptop a lot more. Tbf I did get it for like $900 from Dell almost 2 years ago, so no complaints with it. My desktop has a 6800xt and it rarely sees gameplay anymore due to toddlers and whatnot.

The more I think of it, the more a really nice 18" screen sounds compelling.

Yeah this point I get. I'm in a bit of a unique situation where I do overnight maintenance work for 10 hours, but really like 7 hours of it is on call waiting for things to happen. My Dell G15 (or16, I forget at times) gets a lot of use, but it has a pretty basic screen and a 3060 (125w model at least), but I kind of want something more now that I use the laptop a lot more. Tbf I did get it for like $900 from Dell almost 2 years ago, so no complaints with it. My desktop has a 6800xt and it rarely sees gameplay anymore due to toddlers and whatnot.

Try to go somewhere to see the size of these things. The 16" units are huge, IMO. I can't even imagine 18". I get that you can take it in a backpack and portability may not be a chief concern - but unless it's truly a desktop laptop I would focus at least a bit on size/weight.

What are you guys running marathons with these things on? It's not THAT big or heavy :p

What are you guys running marathons with these things on? It's not THAT big or heavy :p
Well - I travel with a work laptop, the Lenovo, and luggage. It all adds up. There’s a whole class of notebooks - thin & light - that has existed for years and brought about 60-75% of the power of these behemoths in a much smaller chassis.

NGL I want an 18 also, I just don't wanna pay the price lol. I come from a 50 mini led as my main PC display. I'm worried if I get anything not the largest size I might regret it. The 18s cost premium though.

I have the weaker sibling Acer Predator Helios 18 with 13700HX and 4060 and I've been very impressed with the build quality and performance. Never had much experience with Acer as the only thing I really considered of theirs at one time was their 3440x1440p UW G-Sync display during that 1st gen of G-sync UWs, but ended up going AW. But definitely impressed overall. Its screen isn't nearly as nice as the Mini-LED 1440p on that unit and obviously isn't as fast as the mobile 4080, but it runs Diablo 4 silky smooth at 130-150FPS with everything maxed except textures (High).

The screen is probably the least impressive part of the laptop as it has typical IPS glow and is matte finish, so its not nearly as good looking as glossy for 2D productivity, and not as nice as OLED or mini LED for gaming, but still, very impressive overall in games for response rate, lack of ghosting, frame pacing etc. 1920x1200 is also well matched for the mobile 4060 and the 13700HX is a beast of a CPU. Keyboard and chassis feel amazing, much nicer than other laptops I've owned or had access to with mechanic keys with decent travel, good backlighting, metal chassis and wrist rest with large track pad that is easy to click.

Lots of connectivity including TB4 on the back, full size HDMI out, full RJ45 ethernet, WiFi 6E and still has full USB-A for backward compatibility. There's an extra m.2 slot for expandability and you can upgrade the RAM though you probably don't need it with 32GB. At some point I may upgrade mine from 16 to 32GB but its not a huge priority of mine. It comes with Dolby Atmos-X virtual surround and while the default volume results in some distortion and audio clipping, it does sound good overall with lots of ambient detail and background being accentuated.

In terms of power and cooling, I haven't plugged it into a kill-a-watt but the specs on the site for my laptop are wrong, I think it says 90W max but the power brick is 300W with massive cables lol. Its slightly smaller than the AW X-51W 300W brick I got for my mini-HTPC and every bit as heavy, I think roughly 4lbs by itself. Fans are audible under full load but they are not the annoying high pitched whine of small high rpm fans, more like a constant gush of air. The heat being exhausted does feel warm while gaming, so I can only imagine more heat and noise for the 4080 versions.

Not a huge laptop user myself but I have had some gaming laptops before and this is the best experience I've had with one so far. The 18" is massive and I wouldn't consider it a laptop, its more a desktop replacement that you move to a location and set it there for a week. I couldn't see myself constantly connecting and disconnecting this thing for any gaming session less than 3-4 hours undisturbed. I mainly got it for summer beach trips and vacations, and when at home I use it to dual-box my wife's account for extra D4 loot lol, or to check the vendors for new stuff every hour while working from home.
Really appreciate this detailed review. Very helpful and informative to prospective buyers. Thank you.

NGL I want an 18 also, I just don't wanna pay the price lol. I come from a 50 mini led as my main PC display. I'm worried if I get anything not the largest size I might regret it. The 18s cost premium though.
Does it though? The 16s with similar specs seem to hover around the same prices.

Does it though? The 16s with similar specs seem to hover around the same prices.
I got scared off a few times looking at the 18s where the 16s where like hmmm ok maybe lol I want a 4080 minimum. I don't know I may wait for prices to come down or go used. 4080 laptops are no less than 2k. That's pretty massive of a price tag imo.

I got scared off a few times looking at the 18s where the 16s where like hmmm ok maybe lol I want a 4080 minimum. I don't know I may wait for prices to come down or go used. 4080 laptops are no less than 2k. That's pretty massive of a price tag imo.
I agree. I guess it depends on how much you plan on using it. Like I said before if I knew I'd be using my laptop much more than my pc I would have gladly spent more, but hey, life changes lol.

Yeah I think you mentioned the on-call part, that definitely makes sense. I still think 18" is a little large for daily transport unless you have a pullman or briefcase, or maybe a large backpack. It won't fit in the over-shoulder briefcase I use for work (16" or so max) and even if I could, with the power brick....there's not much room for much else haha. The Acer does come with a nice neoprene sleeve though. I can check to see what kind of backpacks it fits, I have a large MLB branded tech backpack I never really use that might fit it but that's about it.

Now on to the screen part....the 18" size on a laptop is glorious. Even though the screen I have is only 1920x1200 and matte and IPS, it is still VERY impressive while gaming and the size is large enough that you'll never feel the need to connect it to a larger display if you are close enough to be using it with the keyboard. I just connect a wireless mouse and use the keyboard its that large and solid feeling. I've also connected XBox and PS5 controllers via BT and that's a great way to game on it as well for those 3rd person POV games.

I can only imagine what a gaming laptop like this with OLED or Mini-LED would look/feel like. I have an XPS13 with OLED and its display is amazing, but only 13" and not really suited for gaming.

Like sk3tch said though, it is worth seeing one of these in person and picking it up and getting an idea of what you are dealing with. If you have an MC near you they'll have some similar sized ones on display and BestBuy might too, although these Acers are pretty new.

Haha well my work laptops and non-gaming laptops are all 2lb or less and thin/light. I was pissed when I got upgraded at work from a 13.5" to 15" Surface Laptop because it is massive in comparison and messes with both my desk footprint and covers the bottom edge of one of my displays. Even the difference in weight is maybe 6oz but it is noticeable.

Let me know if you all want some additional info/tests run on the Acer Helios, like temps or SSD/memory info. I didn't run any of that stuff since I'm not OC'ing it at all and its not crashing or getting hot and loud, but I don't mind doing some testing if you want to get a better idea of some of those metrics.

Back