c3 800 unsuitable for ftp server

Your forgetting that your old P3 box sucks up more power than that via board. That via cpu only sucks up 5 Watts. Your P3 cpu sucks up about 40 watts. Clearly, one of them is going to cost you some dough in terms of electricity if you run it long term.

Rix2357 said:
Your forgetting that your old P3 box sucks up more power than that via board. That via cpu only sucks up 5 Watts. Your P3 cpu sucks up about 40 watts. Clearly, one of them is going to cost you some dough in terms of electricity if you run it long term.
None of that really matters when the via box wasn't able to do the job. I'm all for effenciency, but it has to do the job.

dekard said:
I agree. Easily for $50 you can buy a complete pII or pIII system that are most serviceable. I love'em!

I got my "ftp" server for free (almost)....sold a rig to a lady, she gave me the old "defective" one.....ended up having a bad mobo, grabbed a $30 board and another stick of ram, and now the P3 700mhz slot 1 cpu, 384mb ram, and XP 2003 run great!

I FTP in to grab files I need when away from home, or I can remote in and check my email, whatever. Great little box, plus I keep that poor 700mhz folding 100% of the time....

Right now it is at 45 days uptime, only had to reboot it for some security patches...stable like rock.

Are the via processors THAT weak? It seems if they can handle an OS handling a simple ftp server would take such little processing.

Oh and DIE thread!

^^ it was dead, but thanks

I think it is your FTP software.. try another one (didnt read entire thread, if mentioned ignore my post) and

DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

MrGuvernment said:
^^ it was dead, but thanks

I think it is your FTP software.. try another one (didnt read entire thread, if mentioned ignore my post) and

DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
hrmm...

STOP BUMPING..

wee96 said:
Are the via processors THAT weak? It seems if they can handle an OS handling a simple ftp server would take such little processing.

Oh and DIE thread!
the problem was the xcrc processing, just too much to handle in a timely manner.

Back