c3 800 unsuitable for ftp server

dekard

2[H]4U
Ahh crap.. I'm really disappointed. I picked up a Pc Chips 789 with a c3 800 on it. Tossed a 1 gig of ddr 400 and a 40 gb harddrive and installed windows xp pro and Titan Ftp server. I found out that I was severely cpu limited in use. When doing lan transfer via ftp I was capped at approx. 2.5 megs a second of throughput. And doing a simple sync over a 768k internet connection would peg the cpu at 100% usage just with the data transfers. Performing a xcrc operation took an eternity, over 60 seconds on files more than 1 gigabyte in size.

I put this together hoping it would make a nice quiet nas box for my house and a ftp server but as it stands now I'm rma'ing the thing to newegg since the performance is simply too low.

Was I wrong to expect this much from this combo? I was\am quite excited about the Via cpu but I can't believe how poorly they perform.

Thats the good part, my cost was about $64 with shipping... I've started to think about using it for a pvr box.. anyone know if it would have enough power for say, mythtv if i used the hardware based encoders?

I dunno, from what I gather with your earlier experiences, I imagine that it wont be very powerful.

If your thinking about RMAing, don't. It cost alot to restock. If you are going to get rid of it, send it to me. Ill pay you the $64. If you are interested, send me a PM.

DeadlyAura said:
If your thinking about RMAing, don't. It cost alot to restock. If you are going to get rid of it, send it to me. Ill pay you the $64. If you are interested, send me a PM.
I'm going to try it as a SageTv client. I've got most of the hardware to build a ultra quiet box for my living room so I'll go that route. If it doesn't work out well I'll put it in the fs\ft forum and let one of you guys have it.

thanks for the input.

Sigh.. I know linux has quite a few advantages.. The problem is I don't have all that time to figure it out. Yes, I know its easy. Yes, I know I can do it. I just don't want to.

Its worth to at least TRY it. But if you dont feel comfortable then I guess you shouldnt.

Here's the deal. I've briefly used a couple of distros. I see the advantages etc. I just don't want to take the time to learn a new OS, especially one that is in a constant state of change with no one governing body. Realistically I'd have to take a ton of time to learn it and I don't want to.

I've got the license for Windows Xp Pro already and the pvr app isn't much. So, I'd only save the cost of the pvr app which isn't enough for me to learn a whole new os and support structure. My time is more valuable than that.

Having said that Linux is strong, safe and powerful. I've got several embedded linux devices already and have a ton of fun with them. I've used it dual-boot on my primary system and my laptop. I just don't care to fuss about with the recompiling needed, driver issues, findind the right distro etc... Windows does all that for me and does a decent job of it too. Not superior, just decent. And its currently stable enough and safe enough for me.

Alright. Windows isnt bad, and I prefer it for multimedia apps and gaming rigs because of the support and such for it. I didnt want to take the time to learn linux either, for the same reason. I just dont have the time.

What's taking up the cpu time, the app or the nic itself? If it is the nic, try a non-integrated one; if its the app, perhaps try a different app.

insanarchist said:
What's taking up the cpu time, the app or the nic itself? If it is the nic, try a non-integrated one; if its the app, perhaps try a different app.
Interesting thought.... I'll have to try that since I've got a ton of other nics here. I'm sure the intergrated one is using cycles.... BUT network transfers using windows networking don't have that effect... so.. hrmm... unless there's data checking or something.... dunno..

I'll change it and see what happens..

Emission said:
Alright. Windows isnt bad, and I prefer it for multimedia apps and gaming rigs because of the support and such for it. I didnt want to take the time to learn linux either, for the same reason. I just dont have the time.
I wish I had the time to become profecient with Linux.

For $64, that is really cheap. What kind of LAN chip does it use and does it have a pci slot? I'm interested in one of those boards for use to install a router/firewall package. Right now, I'm using pfsense and on a 1.2Ghz P3 celeron. The power supply for that shuttle box is a little loud.

It has 2 pci slots both are available. Onboard lan is 10\100 ethernet... Via Rhine II adapter. decent little box just not quite powerful enough for my purposes.

dekard said:
It has 2 pci slots both are available. Onboard lan is 10\100 ethernet... Via Rhine II adapter. decent little box just not quite powerful enough for my purposes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Rhine II doesn't normally have hardware TCP checksum offload, and other acceleration features. Any chance you could grab an Intel Pro 100+ or similar to see if it makes any difference?

I can't believe any modern CPU can't handle an FTP site, for crying out loud.

Unfortunately this board has a socketed processor. I'm replacing it a HP Kayak workstation with dual p3 733 and clarkconnect. I've already got that system up and running and its performing wonderfully. Deadlyaura is buying the Epia board off of me so I won't have it much longer.

Well It appears you have the issue attended to, I was going to suggest nabbing a socket 370 Intel off eBay (which go cheap!) and/or trying a lighter weight OS (Like Windows 2000).

Your right about the socket 370 stuff. I just picked up a dual socket 370 with dual 1 ghz processors. Dual integrated lan, video and sound mean this is a server on a board. Awesome little unit. I picked it up for a steal, only $134 with processors. I'm very excited about this little guy even though I don't quite know what I'm going to do with it. I am going to have to build another server for my office soon so I'm thinking perhaps using the Hp Kayak workstation @ work. I ended up using it for a media server running Red Hat and Sage tv. Nice little box, but I couldn't get the 733 processors to work in it so I had to use the lower speed procs. I picked up a second Hp Kayak and was able to use it for my ftp needs. Its also running linux, Clark Connect... Based on Gentoo its a nicely supported server package that even a noob like me can setup.

Anyway... I guess what I'm trying to say is I like your idea of the socket 370. Already bought one in fact. :)

dekard said:
ditch that NIC and get something decent, IE 3com 3c509 series or Intel Pro/100... I think you may see a drop in CPU usage with either type of card under high network load. maybe not...but they are super cheap, so why not try it hah

draconius said:
ditch that NIC and get something decent, IE 3com 3c509 series or Intel Pro/100... I think you may see a drop in CPU usage with either type of card under high network load. maybe not...but they are super cheap, so why not try it hah
This idea was commented on above. The problem I had is unrelated and I've sold the board already. Thanks tho, and please read the thread before you post.

Yes, he did indeed sell it, to me. And for what I need it for, it's a great board. The processor tacks at 100% when its needed but there is no lack of speed.

My dad is going to use this PC at work for writing repair orders and surfing the web and checking e-mail so its perfect. Right now he has a Dell P4 that he uses which is way to much for what he needs it for. So, we're going to try out this PC and see how it works for him.

I have to say though, I am impressed with this board and so far am very happy with it.

dekard said:
This idea was commented on above. The problem I had is unrelated and I've sold the board already. Thanks tho, and please read the thread before you post.
I did read before I posted...I guess my reading skills failed me
eek.gif

sorry
smile.gif

DeadlyAura said:
Yes, he did indeed sell it, to me. And for what I need it for, it's a great board. The processor tacks at 100% when its needed but there is no lack of speed.

My dad is going to use this PC at work for writing repair orders and surfing the web and checking e-mail so its perfect. Right now he has a Dell P4 that he uses which is way to much for what he needs it for. So, we're going to try out this PC and see how it works for him.

I have to say though, I am impressed with this board and so far am very happy with it.
Glad to hear you are happy with it! I really wanted that board to work and I was highly disappointed that it didn't. But, I think the particular application I had for it was too demanding. Doing a crc check on a multi gigabyte file is difficult. And the Via would do it just not fast enough for the ftp clients. They would time out and then reupload the file. Needless to say this caused some problems. :)

Anyway.. I'm rambling.. Its a nice board and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one and build a system around it. Glad you are happy DeadlyAura. Nice working with you on the deal.

draconius said:
I did read before I posted...I guess my reading skills failed me
eek.gif

sorry
smile.gif
No worries, i'm tired and cranky anyway becuase i worked a 12 today... :)

I cant beleive it can be that gutless to where FTP would max it out. I was using a 486DX4 for awhile untill It broke (old age?), and it could really purr along, suck nearly 4-5MBps.

bob said:
I cant beleive it can be that gutless to where FTP would max it out. I was using a 486DX4 for awhile untill It broke (old age?), and it could really purr along, suck nearly 4-5MBps.
The problem was with the xcrc function. It was able to handle the data transmission fine but not the error checking on larger files.. Its a shame, I really liked that board.

I'm going to go out and buy one to prove the OP wrong :p If not, then I'll have a very expensive portrait on the wall.

Ockie said:
I'm going to go out and buy one to prove the OP wrong :p If not, then I'll have a very expensive portrait on the wall.
Um, sure.. go ahead.. try and get it to do a xcrc on a 1+ gig file in less than 60 seconds.

What do you guys think of an EPIA800 as a tivo box, recording shows and such from tv to computer, any ideas of how itll perform?

bob said:

yeah I'm using a pentium 1 233mhz as an overall file server (light duty ftp/apache and folding) and it handles everything great. It can saturate a 100 megabit connection.

Unless there's some glaring design flaw with the c3 I can't believe it would be THAT slow. It does have a notoriously weak FPU (1/2 clockspeed) but it should do better than that...I don't know...maybe the c3 just really really REALLY sucks.

Dillusion said:
What do you guys think of an EPIA800 as a tivo box, recording shows and such from tv to computer, any ideas of how itll perform?
I would tend to think you would be ok as long as the tv capture cards you are using have hardware encoding. Otherwise you would be putting a burden on the cpu it just couldn't handle. I would not suggest running more than one tuner on it tho.

Gotta love old crap, My Pentium II 300 (One with a huge fanless sink) works xp excellently and dosnt even get warm, not to mention theres not a fan in sight, except for that PSU one, which ive quieted down :) . My Inspiron 5000 500MHz PIII is also simply great. If your going to spend a bottom-of-the-bucket amount of money for one of these, its worth more to get an older system.

I agree. Easily for $50 you can buy a complete pII or pIII system that are most serviceable. I love'em!

Back