Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Thread

Corsair is made by Seasonic, though. And, like I said before, my Earthwatts 430 did it as well as my Seasonic. The Antec was Seasonic-made, too.

I think only some Corsair PSUs are made by Seasonic, or at least some use a different design.

Holy f'in hell I am getting frustrated with this board now. No matter what settings I pick or how many times I reboot and reset the BIOS I can't get my 12GB back. I'm still only getting 8GB (and occassionally 4GB or 6GB). Might be time to order that damn Asus...

Hi I have one question to ga-x58a-ud3r users:

Anybody test this mobo (Gigabyte ga-x58a-ud3r) with ESXi VMDirectPath or XEN VT-d Pass-Through? Could you tell me if i buy this motherboard with i7-920 i will be able to install ESXi 4.0 and use vt-d (VMDirectPath)? I know that x58 chipset supports vt-d but sometimes it doesn't work (source: http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/VTdHowTo)
This is info how to check it in ESXi: http://vm-help.com/esx40i/VMDirectPath/USB_Setup.php

This is info how to check it in KVM (XEN): http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/How_to_assign_devices_with_VT-d_in_KVM

If you use Linux (or you can boot linux livecd for me (for example ubuntu livecd)) please boot linux and type in terminal: dmesg | grep -e DMAR -e IOMMU and write results:)

Thank you for replies

Sorry for my bad English

Last edited:
Just got this motherboard with an i7 930, with Vcore set to auto it sets it to 1.3volts is this normal for i7's with this board?

Seriously thinking this is the board for my new computer. Newegg has it for $199 with free shipping through Monday, I think.

Has anyone seen it cheaper, or think the price will go below that point in the next 1-2 months for any reasons?

I don't see it listed on Gigabyte's USA website, but the Taiwan has it listed as "Enhanced Memory Compatibility". Maybe this will finally fix my random memory issues? I'll find out when I get home! Too bad I already ordered an Asus P6X58D...

Damn... no go for the F5 BIOS fixing my memory issue. It's weird... this time the BIOS detected the SPD info for all banks, but I only got 6GB on boot this time around. So random!!!

I am currently using this board for 2 months now. It is very good on overclocking, I can hit 4.2 - 4.4GHz with it no problems. I havent had any problems with memory so far, I am using Patriot G series 1600Mhz 6GB and I have oc'd that to 1680 at 4.1 GHz. I have yet to recieve any whine. I am using a Thermaltake Modular 850 watt PSU. I have learned the ins and outs of this board and highly recommend it to anyone. The Asus premium does not do raid 0 on its Sata 6 controller for those who are wondering. Any questions on this board feel free to messege me and I will help. Thank you.

Coil whine fix for me: CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)....................:[Disabled]

I flipped this switch to Disabled from the defalt enabled and the coil whine went away for me. I think that it may actually still be there, but it is severely depressed, to where I can only hear it with my head inside the case.

Just wanted to share in case this helps anyone else.

THIS!!!

I found this solution @ the corsair support forums. (Specs in Sig sorry no "A" version of the mobo) I experienced the coil "whine" whenever the CPU would under clock itself. If I did anything that forced the CPU to run at full clock, the whine went away. The sound was coming directly from the power supply and not from anything on the MB or Vid card. I guess the PSU des not like the difference in power draw / consumption / whatever when the CPU clocks down?

I have no idea how you guys can think making your CPU draw more power is an acceptable solution. It did work for me with my Seasonic... mostly. Doesn't fully solve it for everyone. But it's a totally unacceptable solution.

Upon further investigation, I do hear that high pitch whine you guys were complaining about. To be honest, that sounds really quiet because I have to open the case and put my ear beside it to hear.

However, I am exhibiting another constant very faint high pitch noise and I have no idea where that is coming from.

Rig:

Core i7 930 2.8GHz
X58a-UD3R
Corsair HX750w
2x XFX HD 5770

What do you guys think?

dL

Last edited:
hey guys I just got this board and i7 920, and I installed the os, and all I get is blinking cursor upon reboot, I only have one drive connected to the board and still no go, I am reinstalling again, If it keeps blinking I wouldn't know what to do with it. hope it works this time. I previously had windows 7 on the ssd but it gave me the same blinking cursor.

alright first install was under ide mode but under AHCI it rebooted fine to go in to second part of windows 7 installation. so far so good, it seems to be working.

Alright I figured where the high pitch whine is coming from. It's from my defective Seagate hard drives.

dL

did anyone notice, that if you have dual channel memory I got 4 sticks right now, and I am planning on gettting two more sticks when I get paid next week, when I turn the memory to 2000mhz, the board only adresses four gigs of ram and when I set it to speed lower than 2000mhz it sees all 8, is that a limitation of dual channel mode, because the board manual says it can handle up to 2200 I believe.

High speed memory, especially two DIMMs per channel will generally require adjustments to either timings or VTT voltage.

Anything above 1333mhz is "overclocking" memory and the integrated memory controller will be more hard pressed to handle it, especially with two DIMMs per channel.

I would try taking one DIMM out, moving another to the THIRD channel and then re-testing to troubleshoot, and see if you can get 6GB showing up at high speeds.

did anyone notice, that if you have dual channel memory I got 4 sticks right now, and I am planning on gettting two more sticks when I get paid next week, when I turn the memory to 2000mhz, the board only adresses four gigs of ram and when I set it to speed lower than 2000mhz it sees all 8, is that a limitation of dual channel mode, because the board manual says it can handle up to 2200 I believe.

I have this board (for about three weeks), and really like it. This was my first build, and I may have made some errors in setting things up. First, I left the ICH sata controller set to IDE rather than ACHI. All of the sata ports are set to work in IDE mode. Will this affect the overall performance or speed of my computer? I have an esata port on my case, the controller setting on this is set at ACHI, is this compatible with my HDD which is plugged into the sata port and is set to run in IDE mode? Next, Sata port 0-3 Native was automatically set at disabled, so rather then work at the native IDE mode it works at the legacy IDE mode (I don't even know what that is). Can I change these settings after the OS has been installed (does it even matter), or do I have to do a reinstall? I would appreciate any help, thanks.

Question for you guys, I got the Sata 3 WD Black hard drives in RAID 1 configuration. How do I find out in Windows 7 that it is indeed SATA 3 and not SATA 2 that is enabled?

dL

Just bought this board along w/i920 combo at newegg.com
thought it was a good deal.

I am using this memory w/this board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) CMX6GX3M3C1600C7
did anyone bough the same memory?

And does anybody have a proper procedure on how to install drivers? in what order etc...
I am putting my system together tomorrow

I bought a similar setup along with an intel ssd and have been having posting problems. I switched the ram to the white slots but my monitor still won't come out of power save mode. Should my ssd be plugged into a certain sata port?

Okay, this is really starting to annoy me. This board doesn't like to or know how to shut down! I hit the shut down button in WIndows, it restarts. I hold the power button for 5 seconds, it turns off.... then restarts. I flip the power switch on my PSU after holding down the power button, and even then it tries to restart! What's going on and how can I make it stop?!

I bought a similar setup along with an intel ssd and have been having posting problems. I switched the ram to the white slots but my monitor still won't come out of power save mode. Should my ssd be plugged into a certain sata port?

according to gigabyte's website, this board excepts ddr3 2100+ but the ram i bought is only 1600.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145258

Could this be causing my post problem? I would think that my ram could oc to 2100.

Yours should be fine with that memory - basically it means that this board can support up to 2100MHz without any issues (though it would require some tweaking depending on the type of memory, etc.).

By power saving mode are you referring to when you are in Windows? Try disabling all the features first (in BIOS and in the OS) and see if that fixes anything.

Okay, this is really starting to annoy me. This board doesn't like to or know how to shut down! I hit the shut down button in WIndows, it restarts. I hold the power button for 5 seconds, it turns off.... then restarts. I flip the power switch on my PSU after holding down the power button, and even then it tries to restart! What's going on and how can I make it stop?!

@both: Have you guys tried updating your BIOS? :(

I'm using a Corsair HX750. By the way, I haven't experienced any coil whine or psu whine like the others so far, C1E on or off.

Back to the issue, it seems that turning off C1E and other processor power management helped.

Dont use the drivers disk it came with, get all the drivers from the website as the drivers on the disk sometimes causes shut down issues.

I am getting coil whine, I have not turned off C1E yet. Any performance factors involved in keeping this setting off?

edit

C1E off, cant hear the whine anymore. Other than power consumption, will this affect longevity?

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Finally installed everything. X650 used as PSU. NO coil whine, HOORAY! I was pretty scared beforehand. Its working great, till now.

Great board!

It'd be nice if they could fix the problems associated with C1E and stuff, and then make it so that you can't disable C1E. It annoys me that people consider it acceptable to disable.

Back