Collatz time to overtake #1 and our competitor

• Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
I'm coming for ya next!

Also what happened with fastgeek? His production is in the negative -2M for the day? What the hell?

Probably because DENIS's servers are down causing stats issues. I have negative at that project today as well. I'm sure it will fix itself when the servers come back or the stats sites pull the previous stats export files from backups.

Daaaaaaaaamn! I thought I felt a breeze. Phoenicis passed me on over all BOINC credit with that massive 45 million PPD in Collatz... :watching:

Collatz points are just insane. I do feel suitably embarrassed.

We are now in FB position 3 having finally overtaken Heidelberg :)

Good job on finishing my mission. Denmark is gonna take a while though. Soon as it cools back off around fall I will be back at it 100% with my little army of GPUs. Pretty sure I have all but 1 of them shut down right now. All but one of my 4P rigs will be down shortly after this sprint which in all honesty, it's already over anyway. I'll leave my 3 main quad core rigs running CPU tasks though.

Sounds good. I'm in need a bit of variety so I'm gonna help build a lead over Heidelberg and then park it until you're ready to go at it again post summer.

Last edited:
Sounds good man.

I technically have 3 GPUs that I'll continue to run 24/7 but two of them are my main rig and I have them set to not run while the computer is in use. It just bogs the system down way too much. They're two 970s. The 980 Ti runs uninterrupted though. I have them set to grab work at will between Collatz, E@H and Moo!. I let the client decide how much of each it wants to contribute.

I'm gonna guess its probably not needed, but do it anyway. My GPU rigs are offline right now. So I can't contribute early on. Really hoping we'll be fine, but if not I can put them back together and run them. Phoneics does like 40+ million points on his own. A member in Heidelberg (spelling) and the other team whom I've gotten the name does around 16m. So he should be able to win this on his own.

Especially considering non of the teams in our league are even trying with the sprints it seems.

Oh shucks, I was hoping we were going to see a 3 day Skillz encore for the sprint but you're right .... we should be fine.

I'm bunkering just in case.

I'm trying to get my stuff organized a bit better and utilizing the summer down time to do it. I kept my 4Ps running in their current location with expectations of using it. I know Collatz can utilize CPU time, but when I loaded up the queue on one of the rigs the completion time was 6+ days.

6+ days, bloody hell! I think that cpu time is most definitely better spent elsewhere.

yeah... we aren't at any risk of losing 1st place in Legue 3. However, my viewpoint is that it is good practice for the new to BOINC users for when the big competitions come up and for when we get bumped up to league 2 next year.

I am using the sprints to practice bunkering.

Also using them as an excuse to get new people to join us.

League 2 next year is gonna be tough.

League 2 next year is gonna be tough

I'm thinking that this is our only chance and a rare opportunity (in league 3) to try to grab the highest total Formula BOINC points ever. As it stands now, Gridcoin accumulated 965 points and we are at 824 points. It will be very tough, almost mission impossible. It has to be a teamwork effort for this to be a success. Once we are in league 2, we may never ever get this chance again unless we got bumped back into league 3. Thoughts anyone?

I have now dabbled in GPU crunching. I put my second 280X back in my main rig and holy crap, Collatz is a points mine!

I would like to figure out how to make it so only the 2nd GPU does the crunching instead of both of them because the heat coming out is more then I expected.

Ill have to give the first one a try and I may put in the slow GPU out of the server in slot 0 so I can just use the other GPU to crunch.

Boinc does need some tuning features added or this wouldn't be such a PITA.

Keep in mind it isn't the physical slot number. BOINC will assign a slot number that may not line up with the motherboard. I believe it tries to put the most capable in slot 0 but it has been a long time since I read up on it. So, to find out which device to exclude, you need to look in the Event log when BOINC first starts up.

BOINC Manager will most likely stagnate for the rest of its life as there aren't many people actually contributing code these days. There isn't any more funding so it is all volunteer based. Most volunteers that are capable surely don't put in the time to help out.

Not really. I had like a 10 minute training on Quick Basic, a couple of gladly forgotten semesters of COBOL, and 1 semester class on some basics of Visual Basic. I can honestly say that I remember zero of any of it.

It has probably been almost 20 years since I last glanced at code.

According to CV's web site we're about 17 days away from taking the #1 spot here.

Just fired up my sole 1080. Power setting at 55% (GPU draws ~108W, system draws ~ 180W from wall). Getting about 5.3M PPD.

I could increase production by 20-25% but GPU power draws is like ~195W but room gets a bit hotter.

Nice! I was able to run most of my GPUs while I was on vacation since I didn't need to worry about running the AC while I was away. Got home an hour ago though. House temp was 88F with an outside temp of 65F. Needless to say it got a little warm while I was gone. Haha

Wow 88F! That is [H].

I would have been [ S ] oft and set it for 80, so it didn't heat up too much.

Edit: haha it turned my S brackets into strikeout. :)

Last edited:
lol...my office is about that hot most months...lol. But if outside temps were better...crack a window and put a box fan in...lol. Just make sure your place is insured against burglary.

I put box fans in the windows up stairs when the outside temp is low. Just not when I'm away on vacation.

Back