ZFSonLinux not latest version when I "apt upgrade" Ubuntu...?

Concentric

[H]ard|Gawd
Sorry if this is a n00b question but hopefully someone can give me a quick pointer.

I'm running Ubuntu server 22.04.3 LTS
I have ZFS-on-Linux installed - as per the project's installation instructions for Ubuntu, this is as simple as "apt install zfsutils-linux" - I don't need to add any addtional repositories.

If I run "sudo zfs version" I get:
zfs-2.1.5-1ubuntu6~22.04.1
zfs-kmod-2.1.5-1ubuntu6~22.04.1

So I'm running version 2.1.5 of ZoL

On the ZoL website the latest available is 2.1.12

But when I run "apt update" I don't see any available package updates for ZoL... ?

Why is apt not offering to update me to 2.1.12?
Is this because the Ubuntu default repositories haven't been updated to include it?
Or do I need to do something extra to make this happen?

Thanks

Last edited:
The repos have not been upgraded. I won't expect that to happen in the LTS release unless heavy bugs or security issues are discovered in upstream ZFS.

I think there are some nice improvements in 2.1.1x, but if you want them you need to update from your LTS. Or compile ZFS from source yourself.

It may be in the backports repo. Of course, backports may not be as stable, but as someone on a rolling distro, I don't much care about that.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports

Edit: nope, doesn't look like it's in backports. You could request it, I think instructions are in the link above.

Last edited:
Do you need to run Ubuntu? If you are set on using ZFS, with 14.0 about to release, it might be worth looking into switching to FreeBSD, since it has full native support of ZFS.

Ya my question would be what are you using this server for specifically

Yup, LTS is all about longevity and stability.

Last edited:
FreeNAS Scale is Linux based. I've been running it for a few months now and no problems.

Back