XP Pro Without SP1/SP2

xeetim

Limp Gawd
Where can I buy XP Pro without SP1/SP2? Xp with Sp2 makes my system really slow, but if i install xp first and SP2 later everything runs smoothly.

What are the specs of your pc? Sounds like your system is lacking ram.

You can probably find one on ebay. Don't think anybody else sells it.

If you want an original version of XP, you'll probably have some luck in the FS/T forum. You may have to wait several weeks until Vista hits the shelves, but there will be XP sales after Jan 30th. :)

this is hard to believe that a slipstreamed install of sp2 is slower than an sp2 install at a later date. Installing sp2 post xp install leaves a ton of extra crap in the windows folder

defuseme2k said:
this is hard to believe that a slipstreamed install of sp2 is slower than an sp2 install at a later date. Installing sp2 post xp install leaves a ton of extra crap in the windows folder

QFT. A proper slipstreamed SP2 CD should never have issues with speed. I would suspect something else being wrong long before I'd think it was just the OS itself.

Applying SP2 to either an original XP or XP SP1 install is where all the problems come from, but I've never heard of anyone having issues with a properly slipstreamed SP2 CD myself... interesting.

Agreed, Slipstreamed SP2 installs are much MUCH better than installing SP2 on a SP1 or no SP XP load.

another vote for SP2 slipstream CD

I really find it nearly impossible to believe that a SP2 install is slower than a regular + patched SP2 install. Only thing I can figure is that perhaps a driver that is built into the slipstream is not up todate... whereas the older install gets an updated driver from WindowsUpdate or your manufacturer.

I have literally done this on hundreds and hundreds of machines and never seen such as thing. I have had such good luck with SP2 slipstream installs, that it's not even funny. I would retry your installation as I think it's just a fluke. Get the latest/best drivers for your hardware handy. IE, get chipset drivers from nVidia/VIA/Intel (whoever it is), audio drivers, video card drivers, etc. Then do the install and update it it as normal :)

Back