Would it be fair to cancel this trade?

jgoewert

[H]ard|Gawd
Here's the story, I have a $300 (dealed down to another figure though) item for sale. I've been upfront about everything, sending my name, address, and phone to the buyer as soon as he agreed on the price.

I plan on shipping 2Day Insured and all that rigamarole to make sure it gets there safe. Also, I accept Paypal CC which is how the buyer plans to pay (which can be disputed in case the deal goes bad).

However:

The seller though just joined [H] in the current week.

Everything seems to be going smooth until I get an email today that says he's going to call tonight and wants to do the trade half+half. I plan to make my case and ask for all payment first still.

I'm extremely squeamish about the deal, the lack of heat/forum cred, and the fact that if he sent 100% upfront and I ripped him off, it's way easier for him to get back over 75% of his cash than it is for me to reclaim the card.

Any jewels of wisdom to devote on a long time [H], short time trader?
I tried searching back posts for wisdom but can't find anything.

Stick to the deal. Payment first means payment first. Otherwise in a week I'll be responding to the "How do i get my card back?" thread.

Yep, payment first. That's how it works. He's protected thru PayPal, your not.

Thanks. That makes me feel much better in demanding payment first.

My wife said the same thing, but included something about an external organ of mine that wouldn't be there if I took the risk.

So, if you see a post soon from someone foaming at the mouth saying that I'm a damn dirty bastard... you'll at least have a preamble for it.

MX2times said:
"Protected Through PayPal":rolleyes:

What a joke. More like an oxy-moron:D

What do ya mean....hehe.

Well it's better than nothing!!!!!! Not much better, but better.

jgoewert said:
My wife said the same thing, but included something about an external organ of mine that wouldn't be there if I took the risk.
You know, if you didn't have that certain organ, you would be rich, sleep better, have your hair and not gray hair, and be your own boss! :D

MX2times said:
"Protected Through PayPal":rolleyes:

What a joke. More like an oxy-moron:D

I thought the same thing myself. Being liable for $50 is still a lot for most people if I decide to break this card in half before mailing it and claim innocence.

But the way it stands. I'm selling a card that I just bought a little over a week ago for about $50 less. Also, I'm paying for the shipping and the insurance on the shipping to make sure it gets there exactly as I send it. Should the buyer pay half and then split, I'm out not just the half, but the hit I'm taking ahead of time just selling it at the agreed upon price.

jgoewert said:

That says it all right there. Payment first were the terms. If he won't, break the deal without hesitation.

Back