WMV acceleration, WMP10, Q4, which drivers?

SkaarjMaster

[H]ard|Gawd
I've decided to finally install Windows Media Player 10 with updates and try to get the WMV acceleration back. Will this work with the 5.8 drivers I have installed now with the ATI Control Panel? If not, then which drivers would I need to also have no problems with Quake4, Doom3, UT2004 and UT? What's the best uninstall order for this? Should I update the drivers first, update WMP first or it doesn't matter? Thank you.

I am not sure about this, but I see no one else is replying so here goes: I think you have to install .NET and CCC in order to get WMV acceleration with an ATI card. The regular old control panel version doesn't allow you to activate it. I don't think the display driver version matters, as long as it is a relativley recent one - it is whether or not you have Catalyst Control Center installed. That being said, go ahead and install 5.13 as they seem to the fastest for most every application.

If you don't like CCC or .NET, you can just install ATI Tray Tools and use that as your control panel (and just update the display driver whenever a new one comes out.) Tray Tools supports WMV acceleration.

If I am wrong about this, somebody jump in here and help this guy out.

I don't have any issues with .NET, but there is no way I'm installing CCC or reinstalling Tray Tools. I have no reason to get WMP10 unless I can activate WMV acceleration, so for now it looks like I'll stick with WMP9. Can anyone else chime in with some good info?

edit: how about me chiming in with more info?;)
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33841739

Back