WMC / Windows 10 - anybody do the upgrade?

Brahmzy

Supreme [H]ardness
I know WMC is dead in W10.

Just wondering if anybody has done an in-place W10 upgrade on a PC that's running WMC. If so, what happened? It took a long time to do the upgrade and when it finally booted into W10 for the last time, WMC was just... gone?

That pretty much cover it?

Yah but as a Bonus.... you can Play DVDs on your Win10 Machine if it has MCE installed before the upgrade.... otherwise you have to pay $15 for the dvd privilege. Wow so 90's of MS. Not even Blurays.... just DVDs......

Well, I guess my HTPC stays on Windows 7 for a little while longer.

But I have been thinking. What if you install Windows 7 w/MCE and a tuner in a VM. Use it to handle the recordings and then use MCEBuddy to covert them to a format that can be watched in Windows 10 running on the metal with either Kodi or just VLC.

In a similar fashion one can use Kodi to watch the live TV but ServerWMC will be running in the VM.

Only concern is if this will require a networked tuner. I am not sure if a ceton card can be passed through to a VM, so the only other way would be tuner sharing or maybe bridging it with the VM.

Last edited:
I just started this battle.

I just upgraded my small HTPC and my theatre HTPC to Windows 10 and as we know media center was obliterated. I now am learning how to mangle Plex, Kobi, mc2x and NextPBR together to replace lost functionality.

It is not pleasant.....

I'm just sticking with win7 for my htpc. I don't know what else to use for recording TV shows - media center just *works*

Thought I would bring this back up. At the moment it works for TV now. Extenders aren't perfect yet.

I have a Hauppauge card so for Win10 I use TitanTV bookmark for listings and WinTV 8 for live TV and DVR. Not too shabby. Not as polished as WMC but also records in non-proprietary .TS. That's a plus.

using HDhomerun's DVR beta

it works though not perfect :/

sad MS kill a product that was so good

using HDhomerun's DVR beta

it works though not perfect :/

sad MS kill a product that was so good

Been interested in that product as a replacement, what are the faults you have found?

The one thing that upset me was that on the kickstarter they said it would work with all tuner hardware but now it looks like they have locked it to their own hardware.

I have a haugpuage win-tv-dvr 2 stream.

side note i saw an article saying that the government wants to move the MCARD from being a hardware device to a software device. That should make things interesting!

Been interested in that product as a replacement, what are the faults you have found?

The one thing that upset me was that on the kickstarter they said it would work with all tuner hardware but now it looks like they have locked it to their own hardware.

I have a haugpuage win-tv-dvr 2 stream.

side note i saw an article saying that the government wants to move the MCARD from being a hardware device to a software device. That should make things interesting!

I haven't used it in a few weeks so my information could be a little dated. I'm in the beta right now I think its garbage personally. It does "work" but its by no means a true replacement for WMC. Right now there is no DRM support. The kodi support i think is a little lackluster. It doesn't integrate with kodi to give it windows media center feel. So you have load up the App and navigate it that way.

Once the extender support is improved for WMC in Win 10 I see myself going that route unless the HDHomerun DVR really improves.

Yeah, i'm in on the HDHR beta but so far I haven't actually installed it yet.

Between when I signed up for the kickstarter and the beta came out I switched HTPCs, installed Win 10 on the new one and found NextPVR. So right now i've got a perfectly working solution, complete with a web-based grid guide... something the HDHR solution won't have. They stated in the past they're not going for the traditional grid, was an instant turn-off when I heard that.

so we use it daily, but it is used more to record live TV that is then run through comskip and archived in plex....

we dont really use it to "watch live tv" often

when we do it works fine for our use

comcast cable tv

the guide sucks, and there is no pause...

but it works fine for what it is....

I use nextPVR but my use case is more like Adidas4275. It runs on my server/NAS records OTA HD at night. Later I edit out the commercials using AVIdemux and watch the recordings with MPC-HC. I don't try to watch live TV with it.

I only record OTA. I currently only have one Windows 7 box left ... the tv I use to record. I do have a Plex server, and may eventually go linux or similar to get Media Center type functionality. Currently, I'm using two Xbox 360s and a media center extender. Of course, if I go to a Plex compatible recorder, I can use any system that can do Plex including Roku stick.

Mostly, the Plex subscription does what I want for normal tv shows and shows them without commercials. It doesn't have sports though, so I still need to record the network sports shows.

the fire tv is great with plex..... native UI is ugle IMO but plex is pretty and works great!

Back