Windows 10 keeps updating my synaptics driver\software

The Lurker

Fully [H]
I have an MSI GT70. Everything works great with Windows 10, except for the touchpad. The latest synaptics driver that windows 10 installs or the one that can be fetched direct from synaptics does not work properly. When it is installed the touchpad misses all the major features, like two finger scroll and pinch to zoom. However, the last available driver supplied by MSI for Windows 8, works absolutely perfectly on windows 10. That is until, two or three reboots later when it updates it to the latest software.

I already tried disabling the installation of drivers through the device manager but the damn thing still updates the synaptics software.

I have searched exhaustively and short of blocking the updates in my firewall (somehow) OR going back to windows 8, I have no idea how to make this madness stop.

Has anyone dealt with this before?

I've dealt with this issue on mt own personal PC before, I deal with a number of people daily where Microsoft's attempt at automated driver updates is an issue.

On release there was a way to disable automatic driver updates but still keep Windows updates functioning normally, I've noticed that since the Anniversary Update this process is no longer quite as simple.

This site was referenced by rezerekted in another thread on a similar topic, perhaps see if there's anything here that may help in gaining a little more control over Windows update? As always, when modifying the OS via third party utilities, use at your own risk.

http://www.site2unblock.com/software/

I have an MSI GT70. Everything works great with Windows 10, except for the touchpad. The latest synaptics driver that windows 10 installs or the one that can be fetched direct from synaptics does not work properly. When it is installed the touchpad misses all the major features, like two finger scroll and pinch to zoom. However, the last available driver supplied by MSI for Windows 8, works absolutely perfectly on windows 10. That is until, two or three reboots later when it updates it to the latest software.

I already tried disabling the installation of drivers through the device manager but the damn thing still updates the synaptics software.

I have searched exhaustively and short of blocking the updates in my firewall (somehow) OR going back to windows 8, I have no idea how to make this madness stop.

Has anyone dealt with this before?
The "Device installation settings" in Devices and Hardware where you choose Yes or No, I believe, only affects devices that are added to the system at the point where Windows pops up a box that it is installing drivers.

Windows 10 also pushes drivers out through Windows Update, which is a different system than that option and is not affected by setting that to Yes or No.

Your only option is to use Windows Update driver "Show or hide utility". You can download it here. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Remove the driver you don't want, then install the driver you do want. Then run the utility to hide the driver.

Major Windows 10 updates essentially reinstall the whole OS. I'd be curious I'd you have to keep re-blocking the update every time.

Windows 10 is awful. If you need Windows I'd roll back to Windows 8. Linux Mint would probably run great on there, too.

Major Windows 10 updates essentially reinstall the whole OS. I'd be curious I'd you have to keep re-blocking the update every time.

Windows 10 is awful. If you need Windows I'd roll back to Windows 8. Linux Mint would probably run great on there, too.

You're not joking. I thought I hated windows 8.1, but after all the BS with Windows 10, 8.1 is a dream.

The only way Windows 10 with its idiotic update policy would work is if Microsoft started producing computers, like Apple.

Hopefully, with all the grumblings going on regarding the updates, they will ease up on it a bit.

Otherwise, I swear, I am going to block the update servers in my firewall. Speaking of, anyone know what those are off the top of their head?

You're not joking. I thought I hated windows 8.1, but after all the BS with Windows 10, 8.1 is a dream.

The only way Windows 10 with its idiotic update policy would work is if Microsoft started producing computers, like Apple.

Hopefully, with all the grumblings going on regarding the updates, they will ease up on it a bit.

Otherwise, I swear, I am going to block the update servers in my firewall. Speaking of, anyone know what those are off the top of their head?

This x100. I came to the same realization long ago. A lot of the early gripes about Windows 8.0 were fixed in 8.1, but the PR damage was done and Microsoft punted. However 8.1 + StartIsBack or Classic Shell + WSUS Offline Update (to avoid the telemetry trojan updates), and it's the sweet spot version of Windows right now. You get the kernel refinements and lower resource utilization improvements that happened after 7, but without all the toys / games / crapware / ads / telemetry / store / cortana / schizofrenic start menu / feature-stripped UWP mobile apps replacing Win32 programs / forced updates of 10.

DX12 has also proven to be a nonstarter, so right now there is zero you can't do and play with 8.1, except maybe a few mediocre UWP-jail games in the windows 10 store.

Last edited:
The "Device installation settings" in Devices and Hardware where you choose Yes or No, I believe, only affects devices that are added to the system at the point where Windows pops up a box that it is installing drivers.

Windows 10 also pushes drivers out through Windows Update, which is a different system than that option and is not affected by setting that to Yes or No.

Your only option is to use Windows Update driver "Show or hide utility". You can download it here. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Remove the driver you don't want, then install the driver you do want. Then run the utility to hide the driver.

OK.

My touch pad, Elan Pointing Device, was available as one of the items to hide.

I also blocked my Nvidia drivers for good measure.

Thanks for the tip, lets see what happens.

Forgot to mention, I use the GPO setting "Do not include drivers in Windows Update", but of course you can only access that in Pro or better.

Here is the manual registry settings for that policy: Just disable Windows Update service and do this:

Create a DWORD called ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\ and set it to hex 1

If on x64 do the same thing in HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\

Then restart Windows Update service and scan to see if drivers no longer appear. I don't know if that works on Home, I only know it to work on Pro or better.

Last edited:
Back