Will Z390 make Z370 obsolete in 1 year?

SpeedyVV

Supreme [H]ardness
Intel to Bring 8-core/16-thread CPUs to the Mainstream Desktop Platform in 2018

The representative revealed this in context of the company skipping the Z370 Express chipset, as it lacks support for those upcoming 8-core/16-thread chips. In addition to support for new processors and possibly next-generation "Ice Lake" processors, the Z390 chipset adds several new features over the Z370, including a better onboard audio solution, integrated WLAN, and SDIO controller.

I hate this crap! I was all excited about waiting for 8700K, now this.

Am I reading too much into this?

I guess choice is good, but do we really need: Z370, Z390, X299 all at the same time?

EDIT: Before anyone says it -> yes I should have just gotten something when I needed it. Waiting for "the latest" hardware to be released is pointless!

So will Icelake K that launches with the Z390. And a year after that Tiger Lake K launches on Z470 or Z490. But wait, after that comes Sapphire Lake :p

More or less the only thing I can remember, that was not obsolete within a year, was the C64. Its still good! :)

But yeah. DDR5, pcie 4. Then pcie 5. I think we will see new technologies in the comming years. As always.

More or less the only thing I can remember, that was not obsolete within a year, was the C64. Its still good! :)

But yeah. DDR5, pcie 4. Then pcie 5. I think we will see new technologies in the comming years. As always.
Ddr5 is 2020 at best so maybe tiger lake, we are just now saturating pcie 2.0 which came out what 10yrs ago?

And obselete is not the word I choose. 2600k is still viable but aged. A 7700k won't be obselete next yr and surely a 8700k won't be when icelake hits.

Ddr5 is 2020 at best so maybe tiger lake, we are just now saturating pcie 2.0 which came out what 10yrs ago?

And obselete is not the word I choose. 2600k is still viable but aged. A 7700k won't be obselete next yr and surely a 8700k won't be when icelake hits.
Quite likely. I agree with the 2600K. I'm still using a 980x. Upgrading now, will yield ddr4, pcie3, nvme, gb nic, sata3 for all the disks. Quite a jump :)

Back