Will this ever be possible?

• Thread starter Deleted member 143938
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 143938

As a regular home desktop user, I've always avoided using VMs, as a matter of fact I never really did use it other than to just see what the fuss is all about. I can see it being an effective tool for a working environment but there is one serious issue holding me back.

I can't make the VM OS a REAL OS. Will it ever be possible to install an OS within a VM and then turn it into an actual bootable OS?

I'd do anything for this so that I can install Arch Linux while being able to alt tab to look at install instructions without having to keep asking my parents to borrow their laptop for short periods of time, they barely let me use it anyway, so installing something such as Arch is an impossible feat without growing angry.

are you talking about doing V2P conversion? going from a virtual machine to a physical machine, with the same "image"? or are you talking about installing an OS inside a VM, and then having that VM bootable from an OS bootloader at boot?

are you talking about doing V2P conversion? going from a virtual machine to a physical machine, with the same "image"? or are you talking about installing an OS inside a VM, and then having that VM bootable from an OS bootloader at boot?

Hrmm both? But I guess the first description is best.

Let's say install Arch within Windows from a VM. As it stands, I can't simply restart my computer and select Arch from a bootload. I'd have to go back to Windows and launch the VM to access Arch.

What I'd like is to be able to install Arch from within Windows, and use that same image and turn it into a bootable OS (from a bootloader, fully functional, 3D, etc) without requiring Windows to be running.
Sort of, there's Virtual to Physical Documentation and Sample Configurations. Not sure whether this is quite what you are asking for, but it seems like it is.

Then again, why run Arch Linux as your host OS if it's such a pain in the rear?
That seems like it, I'll give it a read. Thanks. Hope it's easy and works.

And having Arch working is not a pain in the rear, it's just getting it set up that is :) (because all it install is a command line pretty much, just the kernel. I need to install GNOME and various other apps, so I need their documentation to do that. I don't know how to do it by myself)

I don't know if this is relevant, but if you install Windows on a Mac with Bootcamp, you can boot Windows normally, or as a VM from within VMware Fusion. Kinda what you want to do but backwards. You have to actually install the Windows on a separate partition on the HDD just like you where doing a dual boot.

No, I posted a reply that wasn't any more info than someone already put.......so I deleted the post. I assume you already have Arch and Windows running smoothly, and don't want to format to create an actual dual-boot, so your looking for a workaround?

As a regular home desktop user, I've always avoided using VMs, as a matter of fact I never really did use it other than to just see what the fuss is all about. I can see it being an effective tool for a working environment but there is one serious issue holding me back.

I can't make the VM OS a REAL OS. Will it ever be possible to install an OS within a VM and then turn it into an actual bootable OS?

I'd do anything for this so that I can install Arch Linux while being able to alt tab to look at install instructions without having to keep asking my parents to borrow their laptop for short periods of time, they barely let me use it anyway, so installing something such as Arch is an impossible feat without growing angry.

Sure - fusion does it with bootcamp. Workstation can boot a partition or a drive too.

Interesting, and if I load the file from the bootloader, it won't have limitation that are present in VMs? Such as 3D, USB/Firewire, etc?

Back