Wii Disc Read Problem

GDstew4

[H]ard|Gawd
I don't know if it's coincidence or not but this just happened today when I went to play a different game after renting LEGO Indiana Jones.

It seems like all third-party games will not load. I'll insert the disc, the disc channel shows the game properly, I click on the disc channel and click 'Start'. The screen goes black for a second and then the console just goes back to the Wii Menu, as if it just reset itself.

I tried loading up a few other games. Wii Sports, Wii Play and Super Mario Galaxy all work fine. Resident Evil 4, Guitar Hero 3, and LEGO Star Wars do not work.

No clue what is going on, gotta wait 2 hrs before Nintendo support opens their lines. Luckily I should still be covered under warranty should it be anything that needs repairing.

My Wii makes the same seek noises as the second video, even for gamecube games. I don't think they provided a proper caching mechanism for streaming data from the discs, so it does a seek and read every time it needs something. Low local memory maybe? I guess that's another 'wiitarded' design move.

My Wii is starting to get disc failures too.....I may have to RMA it

You know what the kicker is? I have played my Wii like 6 times in like 8 months...aint that a B

Your Wii disk drive is likely dirty. Do you smoke or others smoke inside, if so that may be the problem. Otherwise if it's not smoke it probably is just dust. Dry spraying it with compressed air. If all that fails you could send it in to Nintendo for a free cleaning.

The problem is that the games you mentioned that don't work use dual layered disc, unless you get your drive cleaned somehow I'm sure Super Smash Brothers: Brawl wouldn't work either.

Hope this helps you.

thats actually what I figured :) It just hasn't been used ever so it got dusty.

I think its working ok now, it wasn't a total failure just random. I will try cleaning it more:)

thats actually what I figured :) It just hasn't been used ever so it got dusty.

I think its working ok now, it wasn't a total failure just random. I will try cleaning it more:)

That should fix it, and I'm pretty sure Nintendo does offer to clean the drives free of charge if you get disk read errors.

Forgot I had created this thread, but I figured out what it was. All I had to do was unplug my USB keyboard. I read that some people had similar issues with a USB charging station and that after unplugging it, everything worked fine.

Back