Why not to buy a cheap power supply.

most-impressive-darth-vader.jpg

This is great for all those folks who like to defend their $40 "800 watt" power supplies.

There are many quality PSUs discounted in a $50 price range. Not sure how cheap you want to go.

makes me happy i bought a good quality power supply rather than cheaping out and put the money elsewhere.

scarry stuff that could have easily killed someone / burned their house down entirely....yikes.

/hugs Seasonic X750 and sever Corsair PSUs in other pc's here... and I have a FSP 80+ replacement miniITX psu for my little Shuttle Cube server thing.. as the stock psu ate crap sometime ago.

There are many quality PSUs discounted in a $50 price range. Not sure how cheap you want to go.

With a cheap quality PSU like the CX-430 often going on sale for less than $20, it just shows that some people are completely ignorant.

They see more wattage for less money and think they're getting more for less, when they are actually getting a disaster waiting to happen.

With a cheap quality PSU like the CX-430 often going on sale for less than $20, it just shows that some people are completely ignorant.

They see more wattage for less money and think they're getting more for less, when they are actually getting a disaster waiting to happen.

Very true. In fact, the only PSUs priced under $60 that I've ever purchased are all from Antec - two 380W Earthwatts Green PSUs (one for a business system) and a High Current Gamer 520W that's currently in my auxiliary rig.

Looks like that guy never cleaned his case anyway.

I always say that you can buy a quality product now or buy one later when your cheap one breaks.

It is computer abuse to put a cheap power supply in there! The one bad thing is we would have no cool crispy computer pictures to laugh at! :D

I sent a link of this thread to all of my 'buddies' that make fun of me for 'overpaying' for a PSU.
I've not had any PSU failures for about 12 years. They can't say the same.

Thanks OP for this PSA.

My friend always gets away with using cheap no name $20 power supplies he bought at swapmeets. He also buy cheap cases with really bad thermals so the fans are always going full blast in the summer time. Never let him down for the last 10 years I have known him. In case you're wondering, no he is not poor. He is well off but a very frugal person.

Last edited:
My friend always gets away with using cheap no name $20 power supplies he bought at swapmeets. He also buy cheap cases with really bad thermals so the fans are always going full blast in the summer time. Never let him down for the last 10 years I have known him. In case you're wondering, no he is not poor. He is well off but a very frugal person.

It's not a matter of if it will fail or if it would cause damage, it's a matter of when.

Feels good knowing I got an AX750 w/free sleeving kit coming from Corsair to replace my aging Antec TruePower 550w

Cool Story Bro

And? I know of old people who smoke and drink heavily every day that are still alive and kicking, That still doesn't mean smoking and drinking every day ain't bad for you. Same applies here: just because your friend has some apparent success with crap PSUs doesn't change the fact that crap PSUs can and will damage PC hardware.

I've got a cheap 600w running a system with a 6800 Ultra on it, it's been up and running since 2004, huge difference tho, I'm anal about month computer cleanings and I run with the side off my boxes..

people who put both sides on then slides in under an enclosed desk or computer tray deserve what they get..

I bought a corsair 430w 80%+ efficient for $18 after rebate, SHIPPED a few weeks ago.

If people can't afford $18 for a PS they probaby can't afford the rest of the PC

I've got a cheap 600w running a system with a 6800 Ultra on it, it's been up and running since 2004, huge difference tho, I'm anal about month computer cleanings and I run with the side off my boxes..

people who put both sides on then slides in under an enclosed desk or computer tray deserve what they get..

Do you realize that most computers run cooler with their side panels on? And what do you think might have happened to this poor kid in the OP if the side panel had been off when the PSU blew up? The hot electric shit flying out of the side of the PSU could have flew into this kid's eyes. I consider myself Anal for wanting the panel on for my system to look as nice as it can. I don't understand how you are "anal" for wanting yours left off unless it's a bizarre hang up.

Do you realize that most computers run cooler with their side panels on? And what do you think might have happened to this poor kid in the OP if the side panel had been off when the PSU blew up? The hot electric shit flying out of the side of the PSU could have flew into this kid's eyes. I consider myself Anal for wanting the panel on for my system to look as nice as it can. I don't understand how you are "anal" for wanting yours left off unless it's a bizarre hang up.

It depends. If you have high CFM fans then yes having the side panel on is better, especially for the graphic card. If you have low CFM fans then it will give worse temperatures when you put the side panel on.

It depends. If you have high CFM fans then yes having the side panel on is better, especially for the graphic card. If you have low CFM fans then it will give worse temperatures when you put the side panel on.

Not sure if I buy this. I've only got 4 fans total in my case and, two are 500 RPM and two are 1000 RPM. My temps are definitely worst with my side panel off. In fact my HD6850 will overheat with the panel off, but not ever with it on.

Back