Why I still like 1 Gb Ethernet over WiFi

philb2

[H]ard|Gawd
Last year, I did my own version of "structured wiring" in the area around the desk in my second floor home office. I had this rat's maze of USB and power cable all along the floor behind the desk. So I got these "baskets" that hang off the edge of the desk and I ran all my cables through these baskets. I velcro'd 3 power strips to the side of the desk, and connected to my UPS only the cables for these 3 power strips. I also velco'd a 1 Gb hub (now a switch) to the side of the desk and I ran Ethernet to my desktop and an Ethernet (with USB C) adapter to my laptop. I use both desktop and laptop, so I frequently need to use GoodSync to sync up Outlook PST files and other files, sometimes exe or msi files, between the two systems.

With WiFi 5, to the router on the first floor, it would take like almost 15 minutes to sync up just the PST files. And lots more times to sync up the partition where I store program install downloads. Now with Ethernet, the Outlook sync takes just over 1 minute and the program install folders need less than 2 minutes for GoodSync to ID files for synchronization.

And I have only 1 Gb Ethernet, not 2.5 Gb. So +1 for Ethernet.

I mean in this example wire is being better than very slow wifi...... of course.

Prefering Wire vs faster wifi would be a more interesting topic.

You mean preferring wagyu to unicorn?
well 100mbs wired still exist, but same room 5ghz on 3x3 wi-fi 6 can beat 1ghz wired in raw bandwith:

Jarrods-Tech-2021-MacBook-Pro-wireless-speeds.jpg

Otherwise I am not sure what there to be talked about in a subject, once the conveniance of wifi is removed by the existance of a near ethernet plug, if the wifi is slower than the ethernet... what are we talking about ?

well 100mbs wired still exist, but same room 5ghz on 3x3 wi-fi 6 can beat 1ghz wired in raw bandwith:

View attachment 597460

Otherwise I am not sure what there to be talked about in a subject, once the conveniance of wifi is removed by the existance of a near ethernet plug, if the wifi is slower than the ethernet... what are we talking about ?

Try getting real world speeds that are claimed from Wifi, even on Wifi6 or 6e....that can be as steady and match 1G wired Ethernet... I can be 5ft from my Ubiquiti U6 and not get close to wired speeds....Sure those above tests were done in a very isolated area with out all the other wifi signals flying around most of us have in our neighborhoods.

Try getting real world speeds that are claimed from Wifi,
None get close to the RT-AX89X claimed 4804 Mbps speed true, but even if the not even close to half the marketed speed occur, ... if it is over 1gbs...

Anyway I am just not sure what the conversation is in the case that a near by Ethernet plug is available and faster (even in raw bandwith and all the time) than the Wifi available, what there to talk about, who do not still like ethernet in that case ? What the argument against it ?

Last edited:
Man you guys are getting sick speeds. I am just using the router my cable company gave me.. I pay like 15 bucks a month till its mine.. :D

Man you guys are getting sick speeds. I am just using the router my cable company gave me.. I pay like 15 bucks a month till its mine.. :D
Our router is 1 Gigabit but I bought these 2.5 Gigabit switches so my main PC, Plex Server, and backup PC can move files at 2.5 speeds.
My internet speed is gigabit but that isn't what we are talking about here,
IMG_1804.JPEG

Sure, 1GbE is "plenty." Then you upgrade your Internet and the download speed is ~1.4Gbps so you figure you might as well upgrade everything on the network to 2.5GbE. Then you build a NAS that is capable of fast read/write speeds but you realize that 2.5GbE is still only getting you about ~300MB/s. So then why not go to 10GbE to achieve those delicious speeds of over 1GB/s? Well that's what happened to me, wonder how long before I catch the bug for 40GbE or 100GbE lol.

I hardwire all my clients whenever possible, basically the only things on my network not hardwired are smartphones and tablets.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't plugging in that extra ethernet port yield even a bit more speed via multi-path?
I could plug in the second Ethernet on the server and see. That machine in the pic does have both cables plugged in.

I pay for 1.5 down, but fall short.. having some radio issues with the stock router that I didnt mention.. have to get the ISP guy here to replace it I think.
So you're mainly using it on wi-fi? If so what are your exact speedtest numbers and your signal strength?

So you're mainly using it on wi-fi? If so what are your exact speedtest numbers and your signal strength?
No I am mainly using the wired connection, using 30' of CAT 7.. nothing fancy. About 800 down through wifi on my computer, about 600 with our phones and tablets. But something is up with the radio in my router right now, I have an appt. for next week with a tech. Speeds are all over the place for wifi right now.

No I am mainly using the wired connection, using 30' of CAT 7.. nothing fancy. About 800 down through wifi on my computer, about 600 with our phones and tablets. But something is up with the radio in my router right now, I have an appt. for next week with a tech. Speeds are all over the place for wifi right now.
On your desktop computer what Wi-Fi card do you have? What's your signal quality? Also what channel width are you running?

I'm not at home to run the test right now, but, wired my PC gets about 4.7-4.8 Gbps on my 5Gbps internet from my ISP. Never used this rig with wifi, so can't give a comaprison on that.

I could plug in the second Ethernet on the server and see. That machine in the pic does have both cables plugged in.
I'd be curious as it should also pick up the other connection from my understanding.

On your desktop computer what Wi-Fi card do you have? What's your signal quality? Also what channel width are you running?
Its built into my motherboard. Crosshair VIII Dark Hero. There is no changing frequency or anything with this router.

What kills me is when I was on Tech Support help desk for Verizon FIOS and troubleshooting poor WiFi connectivity and speeds... for desktop computers with built-in ethernet sitting RIGHT NEXT TO THE FREAKING ROUTER but the user would refuse to use a wired connection because WiFi is the "newer, better" technology.

My radio signal is all over the place, you can see it on all of our devices in all parts of the house. My router is running hot, fan is probably fucked. I keep my stuff clean, so not sure what to say really. I prefer a wired connection myself, but when my router is working properly, my wifi is pretty decent.

I'd be curious as it should also pick up the other connection from my understanding.
I plugged in the second port and it just uses the 2.5GbE ports on both machines.
I think there is something you need to configure to bond the connections or something like that. Right now it's probably just in fall back mode, use the fastest one available and use the other if the faster one fails or loses connection.

Network Copy speed dual NICs.jpg

What kills me is when I was on Tech Support help desk for Verizon FIOS and troubleshooting poor WiFi connectivity and speeds... for desktop computers with built-in ethernet sitting RIGHT NEXT TO THE FREAKING ROUTER but the user would refuse to use a wired connection because WiFi is the "newer, better" technology.
Case resolution--cannot be fixed due to user error. Need to replace user. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I plugged in the second port and it just uses the 2.5GbE ports on both machines.
I think there is something you need to configure to bond the connections or something like that. Right now it's probably just in fall back mode, use the fastest one available and use the other if the faster one fails or loses connection.

View attachment 597943
Yeah, I'm not sure how it works exactly. I know there was a thread on here at one point where someone was shocked their speeds increased when they added another ethernet port and it was due to multi-path just using the new connection as well as the old.

Sure, 1GbE is "plenty." Then you upgrade your Internet and the download speed is ~1.4Gbps so you figure you might as well upgrade everything on the network to 2.5GbE. Then you build a NAS that is capable of fast read/write speeds but you realize that 2.5GbE is still only getting you about ~300MB/s. So then why not go to 10GbE to achieve those delicious speeds of over 1GB/s? Well that's what happened to me, wonder how long before I catch the bug for 40GbE or 100GbE lol.

I hardwire all my clients whenever possible, basically the only things on my network not hardwired are smartphones and tablets.
40 and 100 are actually a PITA for home use. They both use QSFP plugs and require 4 pairs of fiber or a QSFP DAC cable that's only good for a short distance. If I were to get tempted to get something faster than 10Gb for most of my network it would be 25Gb. That will work with a single fiber pair. Realistically I might actually be more likely to add a little 40Gb. My 10Gb switch has 2 40Gb uplink ports, so I could stuff a cheap used 40Gb card from eBay in my server box and plug it in with a short DAC cable.

Ya, then you hit the Cheap Brocade thread:https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...s-cheap-powerful-10gbe-40gbe-switching.21107/

My 6610-24p just arrived, as i was using the 4x10Gb ports on my 6450-24p I had. Like you, once I had more gear, like my TrueNAS storage server, i run VMs direct from my desktop over NFS to my TrueNAS which has behind it 2 x 2TB 980PRO's for now, and then media and other files, i love watching things move many times faster than 1Gb. I had to go back to 1Gb briefly on my desktop and i felt it! I will do 40Gb link to my TrueNAS via a Chelsio T580 going into it, my pfsense is a LAGG group with 2 x 10Gbps and my desktop is 10Gbps (wife's will be 10Gbps soon)

While i know i wont saturate 40Gbps, hell, I seldom hit 10Gbps due to storage limits in my TrueNAS..the cost was right, so do it now!

2.5 / 5Gbps is a way for companies to suck money out from people, you can get 10Gbps used gear that is quiet and works great and the media to connect it between DAC's and SFP+ cables and optics is also cheap...

View attachment 597943

It does not work that way. Each connection being opened would use one of the 2 ports, pending on load and how it is configured switch side (LACP for example) it does not give you 5Gbps for 1 transfer split between both links. When you want to do that fancy stuff, that is where you get into very expensive gear.

If you have fast enough storage on both ends, start 2 file transfers if you "bonded" the links in WIndows and each should do 245MB/s each or close.

It does not work that way. Each connection being opened would use one of the 2 ports, pending on load and how it is configured switch side (LACP for example) it does not give you 5Gbps for 1 transfer split between both links. When you want to do that fancy stuff, that is where you get into very expensive gear.

If you have fast enough storage on both ends, start 2 file transfers if you "bonded" the links in WIndows and each should do 245MB/s each or close.
That's the way it used to be, but I think it was in smb3.1 that added just a 'point to point' detection (or whatever it was called) that basically allowed all connections between two points to be used simultaneously. It was a thread here when I first saw it too where someone was surprised they were hitting over 1Gb and they had a second port on each device that was plugged in and it was also being used automatically.

That's the way it used to be, but I think it was in smb3.1 that added just a 'point to point' detection (or whatever it was called) that basically allowed all connections between two points to be used simultaneously. It was a thread here when I first saw it too where someone was surprised they were hitting over 1Gb and they had a second port on each device that was plugged in and it was also being used automatically.
Ahh ya SMB but in Windows Server multichannel
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/p...ows-server-2012-R2-and-2012/dn610980(v=ws.11)

Dont think they ported it over to desktop OS side.

Back