Why are really old MMOs still supported?

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
Looking at Elder Scrolls Online which just got the Necrom DLC. Stuff like Ultima Online I consider just in Life Support stage since it's outdated. Guild Wars is still like the new kid on the Block but it's no longer 2012. I only think money is the motivating factor not really love for the MMO which is based off a dated engine alot of these MMOs were not really popular even at launch.

Last edited:
Looking at Elder Scrolls Online which just got the Necrom DLC. Stuff like Ultima Online I consider just in Life Support stage since it's outdated. Guild Wars is still like the new kid on the Block but it's no longer 2012. I only think money is the motivating factor not really love for the MMO which is based off a dated engine alot of these MMOs were not really popular even at launch.
Of course they're primarily supported for money. These companies aren't charities.

If there are enough customers to pay the bills, that's a good enough reason to continue.

My dad still plays UO, but he's moved on to community servers; not sure it there's still official servers. It's a ghost town, but he enjoys keeping his bees and whatever else.

More to the point. Why is providing a service to a loyal paying fanbase, small as it may be, such a point of contention?
Agreed. OP needs to take a step back from dogging on these niche game groups and chill.

AdamEllisComic.png

If there are enough customers to pay the bills, that's a good enough reason to continue.

My dad still plays UO, but he's moved on to community servers; not sure it there's still official servers. It's a ghost town, but he enjoys keeping his bees and whatever else.
There is actually a populated official server for uo still. I'm thinking of going back to dark age of camelot as its official server (ywain) is supposed to be populated enough to enjoy.

Eso would have had me for a decade almost now but they've never fixed their performance and server latency ssues in cyrodiil rvr. :( I played it from may 2013 closed beta testing through around the end of 2015, before finally calling it due to server lag in pvp.

everquest is still kicking, it came out in 1999, 29 expansions later its still going the last expansion was dec 2022. as a june 1 2023 there are 16k paying subs. its fee to play up to the latest expansion. i have not touched it since 03. some how that game keeps kicking

everquest is still kicking, it came out in 1999, 29 expansions later its still going the last expansion was dec 2022. as a june 1 2023 there are 16k paying subs. its fee to play up to the latest expansion. i have not touched it since 03. some how that game keeps kicking
What the fuck haha

How are there even still big bads to kill

If the MMO is still making money, why wouldn't it be supported? Newer sure as hell doesn't mean better. I play an MMO with probably one of the most outdated engines still out there but don't see myself moving to a different one any time soon because I have yet to find another one with a similar class and group setup with good storytelling, relatively easy to level/play solo and other things. It's more fun and worth more of my time than any MMO which is even remotely new.

There are over a thousand of people playing community emulators to this day. The top servers boast 300-1000 on busy weekends, and those aren’t the boxing servers.

Back