What portable hard drive to get?

Kirika

Gawd

I have a WD Passport 500 gb and it still works but would like a bigger one. Are WD Passport still the portable drive to get?

I am hearing the new WD Passports have the controller built in and don't have a sata port to get your data off if the controller dies. I do back up my stuff but how often does the controller die?

I have a WD Passport 500 gb and it still works but would like a bigger one. Are WD Passport still the portable drive to get?

I am hearing the new WD Passports have the controller built in and don't have a sata port to get your data off if the controller dies. I do back up my stuff but how often does the controller die?

I've got a 2TB USB 3.0 passport drive as a backup storage device. Decent drive but it does have the problem you indicated in that the USB controller is on the drive's motherboard so there's no SATA port.

If you want something with a SATA port for (just in case/paranoia) purposes you can always get an enclosure and drive separate. (a WD blue would be a decent choice) It will run a bit more than the equivalent passport though.

Back