What is up with PSUs manufacturers now? 100 models with almost zero differences

David-Duc

[H]ard|Gawd
Eg: Seasonic now has 3 series, similar output rating with different 80 PLUS rating.
-Prime Titanium/Platinum/Gold
- Vertex Gold/Platinum
- Focus Gold/Platinum

Each one have similar Wattage too.

If one is looking to buy a 850W PSU, what is the different between these: Prime / Vertex / Focus 850 W GX (Gold 80 PLUS)? I know Prime = Flagship, Vertex = High-end, Focus = Mainstream but what differentiate them?

It used to be a lot easier: Focus is Gold, Prime is Platinum / Titanium rating.

Focus has always been gold/platinum... I'm running a focus px-850 currently.

As for your initial question, the differentiators. They are the components used etc. You will have to check out reviews to nail down the specifics but I wouldn't worry to much about it. Seasonic makes solid units in all three tiers.

80 PLUS Rating ---10% Load 20% Load 50% Load 100% Load
Standard -------------n/a 80% 82% 80%
Bronze ----------------n/a 82% 85% 82%
Silve------------------- n/a 85% 87% 85%
Gold--------------------n/a 87% 89% 87%
Platinum---------------n/a 90% 90% 89%
Titanium---------------90% 92% 94% 90%

More specific on those meanings. Really is going to just help with losses. Remember your power supply pulls more power than it puts out, the efficiency just brings those numbers closer together. Honestly just look at specs to compare. Power supplies and marketing people should never have met.

Focus has always been gold/platinum... I'm running a focus px-850 currently.

As for your initial question, the differentiators. They are the components used etc. You will have to check out reviews to nail down the specifics but I wouldn't worry to much about it. Seasonic makes solid units in all three tiers.
But if you looks at reviews of Prime and Focus units... they all received excellent ratings from pretty much everyone. So if I need to buy an 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W PSU, why would I spend more for Prime 850 GX vs the cheaper Focus 850 GX?
80 PLUS Rating ---10% Load 20% Load 50% Load 100% Load
Standard -------------n/a 80% 82% 80%
Bronze ----------------n/a 82% 85% 82%
Silve------------------- n/a 85% 87% 85%
Gold--------------------n/a 87% 89% 87%
Platinum---------------n/a 90% 90% 89%
Titanium---------------90% 92% 94% 90%

More specific on those meanings. Really is going to just help with losses. Remember your power supply pulls more power than it puts out, the efficiency just brings those numbers closer together. Honestly just look at specs to compare. Power supplies and marketing people should never have met.
What is the different between a Seasonic Focus 850 GX and Prime 850 GX then? Both are 850 W with 80 PLUS GOLD rating. Both have the same "Japanese" capacitors.

What about Seasonic Prime 850 PX versus the Vertex 850 PX? Both are 850 W with Platinum rating.

I want to justify spending more on the Prime but there seems to be nothing that justify that cost increase.

But if you looks at reviews of Prime and Focus units... they all received excellent ratings from pretty much everyone. So if I need to buy an 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W PSU, why would I spend more for Prime 850 GX vs the cheaper Focus 850 GX?

What is the different between a Seasonic Focus 850 GX and Prime 850 GX then? Both are 850 W with 80 PLUS GOLD rating. Both have the same "Japanese" capacitors.

What about Seasonic Prime 850 PX versus the Vertex 850 PX? Both are 850 W with Platinum rating.

I want to justify spending more on the Prime but there seems to be nothing that justify that cost increase.
Internals probably about the same. They are hiding their real numbers behind fake marketing 'datasheets'. I am not a fan of them for doing that. Looks like size,sound, warranty are the differences.

seasonic.jpg

80+ rating and listed wattage isn't all that makes a PSU.

PSUCultist rating plus lots of details about many models can be found here: https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

I much prefer their backend spreadsheet, however: ( I don't know how to prevent it from embedding other than breaking the URL so fix the space between https and ://)
https ://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eL0893Ramlwk6E3s3uSvH1_juom7SMG5SCNzP2Uov8w/edit#gid=1529225916

length of warranty should also be considered. It’s confusion because sometimes even within the same line, they will have different warranty periods.

Usually the industry standard is 10+ years for the flagships. 7 years for enthusiast lines and 3-5 years for entry and mid grade units. That is also generally applicable to other brands besides Seasonic.

Bronze/Silver/Gold/Platinum/Titanium are simply efficiency classes

Vertex/Focus are different tiers. Focus IIRC being the entry level one for Seasonic

Back