We need a Cyrix forum

kent

2[H]4U
http://www.microscopy.fsu.edu/chipshots/cyrix/images/cyrix6x86polydiesmall.jpg

New CPU being released by Cyrix

2000MHz+ with 2-6 scalable cores. Integrated DX11 GPU with GigE. Similar to the MediaGX

I'd like to see this processor succeed. They plan to socket it to 775

Admin Edit - Please don't hotlink images. It's against the rules and makes mods and admins cranky.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a subforum for it. That die however, is from a 14 year old processor.

They still exist, meaning Cyrix? Damn, now that's a throwback in time I didn't need to rehash. :D

Isn't anything new by them just Cyrix architecture (geo or geode or something) done by AMD? I thought they merged with National Semiconductor and shortly after ceased to exist.

Firstly there's a forum for that here:
Non-AMD/Intel CPUs.

Seconly, Cyrix doesn't exist anymore. They merged with Via Tech.

Thirdly, they can't possibly have an LGA 775 CPU, because they're not Intel.

Obvious troll is obvious. This thread needs to be closed down.
I don't think it's meant as a troll. Some people just really believe other players have a chance at being competitive, no matter that every single Intel x86 competitor besides AMD has failed miserably.

But yeah, this thread is based on virtually zero information, not even from an unreliable source.

thats a picture of a 6x86, which is hotlinked btw lol

thats a picture of a 6x86, which is hotlinked btw lol
LOL

Now I'm curious where the rest of the nonsense came from, especially since VIA doesn't even have an Intel bus license anymore.

From earlier this year:
Via Technologies declined to provide a longer-term road map for its CPU business, but the company is likely to continue to plug along in its niche markets.

It's very unlikely that any future CPU info came from VIA. I can imagine how "awesome" a VIA DX11 part would be. :p

What is this "Cyrix" that you speak of?????????????????????? :D

All I remember about their CPUs was that the FPU was so bad that Quake was practically unplayable on them! Oh, and they made good space heaters.

Cyrix merged with National Semiconductor in 1997 and was sold to Via in 1999. The OP link is to something that was being developed prior to Cyrix merging with National Semiconductor.

No idea how the OP deduced the specs for this part since his link is to a picture. By hitting backspace a few times on the OPs URL one can find all the necessary information regarding Cyrix as a company and the chips it developed. http://www.microscopy.fsu.edu/chipshots/cyrix/

My first PC was a 150mhz Cyrix. 16MB of RAM. 2Mb ATi Mach64. Think it had a 1.2GB hard drive. Added a Voodoo2 into it later.

Really beat my friends PC into the ground, his had CGA graphics and two 5 1/4" floppy drives. We used to have to take it in turns to play games - one person would swap disks, the other would play.

Man, it was a horrible machine, I couldn't hardly play a damn thing at more than 15-20fps at the most, but I remember beating Half-Life 1 on that thing.

"Cyrix introduced the 6x86 microprocessor, code-named the M1, as a fifth generation x86-compatible alternative to the Intel Pentium."

And for what it's worth MediaGX technology was sold to AMD and became the basis of the AMD Geode line of a couple of years back. Probably is very likely that some of it made it into Fusion.

Cyrix's FPU performance for games was junk compared to the Pentium. Not a gaming CPU for it's time, at all.

Cyrix's FPU performance for games was junk compared to the Pentium. Not a gaming CPU for it's time, at all.

Actually, the 5x86/6x86 pre-dated the use of FPU instructions for gaming, so I disagree with regard to the "for it's time" piece. Until Quake made its appearance (summer 96), Cyrix and AMD processors rocked on all the current (93-96) games that just used integer type instructions (duke nukem, Doom, Heretic, etc.). Both Cyrix and AMD made the conscious decision that FPUs were for scientists and mathematicians and it was thus unnecessary to spend the time to rev the 486 FPU much for use in their newer, pentium-class processors. Cyrix had the capability to make good FPUs. In fact, their first products were math co-processors for 286 and 386 processors. They just misjudged the market or at least the imagination/ingenuity of John Carmack. AMD was able to recover, Cyrix could not.

Last edited:
Yeah it sucked at floating point calculations, thats very true. But for basic gaming and or email and internet, it paved the way for netbooks imo.

first PC i ever built was a cyrix 166+ with MMX and it was awesome at everything but quake. I upgraded to a AMD 233 by then though.

Will remember forever the day I play Jedi Knight with that machine with a 4meg Rage Pro card at 800x600.. Most amazing thing ever and probably led to my PC gaming addiction and the need for playing games with maxed out graphics.

I heard from this guy I know who's roommate's brother works for Texas Instruments, and he says what the OP said is 100% true.

I heard from this guy I know who's roommate's brother works for Texas Instruments, and he says what the OP said is 100% true.

Thanks. I was starting to worry that you guys might lose credibility in me.

Some more information I've gotten on it. The team that built this CPU is part original Cyrix before the VIA buyout and 2 of the Winchip engineers signed on about three weeks ago.

Initial fabbing should occur I'd say in the middle of August. Tape out... perhaps September. They've got an ESv0 version of the CPU working at the moment but due to poor yields (who saw that coming? lol) currently only 4 core units running at 1.8GHz are in testing. As for benchmarks, I don't yet have that data but what I can say it is should be competitive with other industry offerings clock per clock, core per core. I'm told cost will be VERY competitive, despite necessary bus and socket licensing fees. What the engineers told me was a little greek, but they've found a much cheaper way to manufacturer this processor than similar processors from competitive companies.

My speculation about Socket 775 was wrong. They're in the process of gaining a license to use other sockets, perhaps an AMD socket -- missing an onboard memory controller I told they'd need custom chipsets with IMC but could at least license the bus from AMD. AMD may assist with the chipset, but likely seeing as this is partly a VIA venture VIA will be providing a chipset once a license from AMD or Intel is secured. I'm told that we COULD (very big stretch) see an nVidia Ion style chipset as well, but those talks are just that at the moment -- talks.

Will have more information as it develops. We're really excited about this CPU.

I think a this single thread will be enough to capture all concern about Cyrix here.

Cyrix merged with National Semiconductor in 1997 and was sold to Via in 1999. The OP link is to something that was being developed prior to Cyrix merging with National Semiconductor.

No idea how the OP deduced the specs for this part since his link is to a picture. By hitting backspace a few times on the OPs URL one can find all the necessary information regarding Cyrix as a company and the chips it developed. http://www.microscopy.fsu.edu/chipshots/cyrix/

Additionally the Geode processors were sold to AMD. Aside from that legacy which does still exist Cyrix's influence in the market is almost totally gone and forgotten.

Back