We lost MicroCenter

Saabjock

Gawd
I got an e-mail today 07-24-2012, thanking me for being a loyal customer for all the years. It basically ended with a statement that my local MicroCenter (Silicon Valley/Santa Clara) had closed yesterday due to not securing a lease. That means no more great deals. Glad I jumped on the I7-3820 three weekends ago at almost $90 less than most online stores. Really sad to see my branch go away.

Seriously? I was just in there at like 5:30PM Sunday! I was just in there for a couple of minutes, but it honestly seemed like business as usual.

edit: After looking at their website, it looks they're just going to wind down operations while they finish out the lease. Pity, since now it's basically Best Buy and Fry's here in the South Bay, which isn't really much of a choice.

I'm not sure why they wouldn't lease a new space somewhere and move operations over here unless they weren't making any money.

The e-mail basically stated that the store would be closed, but that support and returns were still being handled...probably by mail and telephone only. I loved that place. Always got great deals there...plus it was the only computer store I could take my wife to without getting harassed for time. I would simply 'ship' her off to TJmax next door. It 'bought' me lots of time to 'browse without the spousal "Are you close to being done" question.

The e-mail basically stated that the store would be closed, but that support and returns were still being handled...probably by mail and telephone only. I loved that place. Always got great deals there...plus it was the only computer store I could take my wife to without getting harassed for time. I would simply 'ship' her off to TJmax next door. It 'bought' me lots of time to 'browse without the spousal "Are you close to being done" question.

Actually, part of the store will remain open until September for support and returns only. The inventory will be redistributed to other Micro Center stores.

Dont have any sympathy. Nearest one to me is 3+ hours away and embedded deep within Atlanta traffic. Id give a body part to have one in my neck of the woods. Of course Id be broke, homeless and divorced within months as well.

This one hurts. Yes i had to drive over highway 17 to get to it and then some but the great prices on cpu's was worth it. Now i have to go to Fry's.

This is very sad, but I can't say I'm surprised in the least, especially with that Santa Clara location. MC has great deals on CPUs but everything else is way overpriced. Plus there are like 5 other Fry's located around that MicroCenter. Still having one less computer store is always sad nonetheless.

Ugh, this sucks. Was looking forward to getting some good pricing on an Ivy Bridge CPU + MB there.

Hoping they'll find a new location in the area, but it doesn't appear that'll happen.

Back