WARTALES

I'm sure there's probably out there I thread about this. This game is OK having a decent amount of fun playing at Co-Op but if the game play loop doesn't introduce much more variety I think. I'm gonna get bored.

I'm enjoying this one a lot. About ~12 hours in so far according to Steam. Reminds me of Icewind Dale a bit - not much story but a strong immersive/atmospheric setting and mostly focused around combat and skill/gear leveling. The "twist" here is that there is a not insignificant "management" aspect which actually works quite well.

20230627102313_1.jpg
This game is awesome basically it's a exploration game when you start out you don't know where to go.
Very slow paced game from what it seems which is a good change.

If you toggle X-Box controller input over in the Steam overlay the game works great that way. I'm not sure if it works good for inventory Managment but the overview Map is good and Fights work without a problem.

I played this game for a good thirty hours or so and the combat is good and it's fun in co-op. But there's no larger story or anything to stop it from seeming kind of samey after battle after battle. The game needs a plot/storyline.

I played this game for a good thirty hours or so and the combat is good and it's fun in co-op. But there's no larger story or anything to stop it from seeming kind of samey after battle after battle. The game needs a plot/storyline.

Yeah people are holding out for some good DLC for this game they might of made the core game like that on purpose. I saw a post you made on Steam wanting controller support. 30 hours is along time saw a guy on Youtube with 200 hours.

Last edited:
I want to like this game but it is another turned based tactics game that I have trouble keeping interest in. I really need to stop buying these types of games lately. I think I like it better than Bannerlord though.

This game kept on crashing on me I mean reset my whole PC after updating drivers turning settings down which makes the game looks better less bloom textures and shadows.
I thought maybe it was my game controller someone said a few months ago it made their PC just ramp up. I think I just have a Heat Issue with the game so I took my side panel off and that fixed it played for 25 minutes without a crash or hard reset. I wish my case had a easier way to take off the side panel I would keep it off but I run a humidifier sometimes.
I could clip a fan on my GPU or something bumping into it.

Update: I reformated Win 11 pain in the butt with everything I have hasn't crash since but I haven't played it long kinda afraid to play it now might wait on controller support.

Last edited:
20230711061842_1.jpg

Only a few hours in but resources are always in short supply in this game. Plus if you hire someone you gotta pay your crew extra gold.

Finally figured out how to get money in the game doing contracts. Now I have my guys finally equipped good just crafted a level 3 bow.
This game is really time consuming lol I haven't had a crash I uinstalled my Razer Sound Drivers that seemed to help. I played for about a hour without a crash then turned on my PSU fan.

Will give an other try, but it did not grip me like Battle Brothers did ( I felt Battle Brothers choice/ambition were more aligned with the resources to make the game).

Wartale would gain from better graphic with that realistic astheatic choice, more script-storyline, better UI, fight animations, sound-music

Will give an other try, but it did not grip me like Battle Brothers did ( I felt Battle Brothers choice/ambition were more aligned with the resources to make the game).

Wartale would gain from better graphic with that realistic astheatic choice, more script-storyline, better UI, fight animations, sound-music

I hear you some of the combat mechanics are quite fun, but the game gets very tedious. And does very little possibly nothing to alleviate that and bring in some kind of variety or larger point to any of it.

20230719061958_1.jpg

Just payed 200 crowns to get to the next area glad I did finally got over 1400 crowns form quest captured a Superior Boar. Going to hire another person I think the guy in the Jugglars camp can capture stuff easier I read. This game is really fun it's slow paced which is why I like it you can have those ADD games. The thing I noticed the Map is really really big I only covered maybe 1/8 of the Map so far.

If you havent already tried jagged alliance 3 I recommend you give that a try. IMO it is better in every way than war tales and scratches the same itch as far as the type of game.

Basically there is no reason to play war tales when you have jagged alliance 3

All if my characters except my Bear I just captured are level 5. I beat a few Ghost Smog wolves and Nightmares. I tried to kill an Elite but one of my guys died. Questing is fun because it's more exploring the lay of the land. Just got the Jugglars Wolf had to look on YouTube where to find him. Game is mudane but still fun.

The game is fun but really slow I like the exploration overview map but wish I could zoom in more. You can spent 10 hours in the game and hardly graze anything =)
The quests are actually fun and sometimes require thinking on how to go about them. A NPC will give you a map with a marker and you gotta figure out where the location is.

I'm currently playing JA3 and was considering picking this game up aswell. Should I pass? It it that much inferior to JA3?
In a word, yes. The combat is pretty good but the game feels pointless after a while. Just a series of unconnected skirmishes. Compared to jagged alliance three it lacks personality.

In a word, yes. The combat is pretty good but the game feels pointless after a while. Just a series of unconnected skirmishes. Compared to jagged alliance three it lacks personality.
I guess i'll pass on it then and wait for Baldur's Gate 3 next month.

Wartales v1.0.28001

Controller
  • Controller support has been added.

Update: I just tried it the camera panning is great you use the directions buttons for menus. Not sure how to Zoom in yet while in the overview map there might be an option for that.

Last edited:
Decided to pick this one up @ 25% off for the Autumn sale. I've been watching a ton of reviews for this game and every single one of them has been a glowing recommendation. The only real negative most reviewers made a point of is that there isn't really a specific plot / storyline and the game depends more on "it's the journey, not the destination" emergent gameplay.
Are you playing JA3 yet? It destroys War Tales in every way for both fun and quality.
I have played JA3 and I think this is a very subjective opinion. Wartales has significantly deeper gameplay systems than JA3. If you're wanting more direction and story then yes, JA3 is probably a better option. For moment to moment emergent gameplay, character progression and deep party management systems, then Wartales is likely the better option.

This is the review that made me pull the trigger on picking up the game:

View: https://youtu.be/meUr2UEkE2g?si=hn0ulue6oKEKsOt8

I've been meaning to get back to the game it's a clicker explorer game with RPG turn based. The game will have a expansion I bet.

Decided to pick this one up @ 25% off for the Autumn sale. I've been watching a ton of reviews for this game and every single one of them has been a glowing recommendation. The only real negative most reviewers made a point of is that there isn't really a specific plot / storyline and the game depends more on "it's the journey, not the destination" emergent gameplay.

I have played JA3 and I think this is a very subjective opinion. Wartales has significantly deeper gameplay systems than JA3. If you're wanting more direction and story then yes, JA3 is probably a better option. For moment to moment emergent gameplay, character progression and deep party management systems, then Wartales is likely the better option.

This is the review that made me pull the trigger on picking up the game:

View: https://youtu.be/meUr2UEkE2g?si=hn0ulue6oKEKsOt8

I found the lack of any narrative and the eventual sameiness of the random battles a deal breaker after about 15hrs of coop play. It just got boring having no larger point to wandering around fighting. And sometimes the battles were pretty slow.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP-ehLGqRvc

This slipped under the Radar looks really promising you actually get to steer a ship comes out Dec. 14th today.

Wartales > General Discussions

where do I start the dlc ?
Im playing on my main save where I did everything and I cant see a ! or a quest leading to the new region

Far south of Tiltren.
You'll find a boat to repair (take wood)

20231226061817_1.jpg

Nightmare that spawns after the wolves I just got to level 6 took about 30 hours but found I can level up faster with a banner but this game is a REAL time sink
I'm trying to get to the DLC but it's like level 13.

20231226021927_1.jpg

I explored this area but ran out of resources fast so I had to return to level up my guys once again.

20231226033058_1.jpg

Cut scene after a kill that sometime happens

Last edited:
Untitled.jpg

Rouste LOL not for the faint of Heart I won a Pony out of beating the Ai. The 1st round is easy the 2nd round I beat them out on too many turns.

Last edited:
It's a pretty fun game for a handful of hours. I think Battle Brothers is a better game overall but Wartales is a lot easier to figure out and get into.

20240105094722_1.jpg

Good Armor? I duno but I'll take better than what I had.

20240106082618_1.jpg

Getting ready to Swing my Tank with Medium Armor his Helmet has Bleed Damage it's a skill that pops up in the Hot Bar. Bleed Damage is really good in this game can take 100 HP every turn.

20240106082618_2.jpg

Woosh!!

I had some legendary weapons but alot of my characters couldn't use them except for a Hammer Trying to defeat the Elite in the Tomb but he has 600HP so going to do what Pepper Gomez said and get 2-3 Bears and Tank him but Elites attack out of turn so they can be hard at times. I found Rogues do pretty well for damage so I hired another later in the game except they use light armor but they kill fast. I found a Book in a town which reduces resoucres for Damaged armor after a battle I wasted so much money on repair kits before finding that book in the armor shop reduces resources by alot.

Last edited:
Screenshot 2024-04-10 081530.gif

2nd DLC in April introduces tavern Managment I suspect with some new quest I'm still trying to get to the 1st DLC maybe on my next vacation.

Tavern Manager is out the 2nd DLC for Wartales I guess it totally changes the game and is getting good reviews.

Last edited:
Opened the Tavern I think it takes time to expand it though at first it's dimly lit spot. Did a few Arenas and go some of my characters to level 9 or 10 leveling is really slow lol I mean slow as in slow later on the first 1-4 levels are fast when you get to level 6-10 it's a snails pace. I did a bunch of quests and you gotta do a ton of battles and back track one of my bears died in the Plague ruins that is ok my party was too big at 12 now it's 10. Which means less adds and faster battles in the overworld.
I'm still trying to get to the pirate DLC lol it takes alot of time have 109 hours in the game.

20240424052658_1.jpg

Rogue Boss at a Arena each map has a different type of Arena boss. I wasn't sure if it was ok if my character died in like round 3 he's rezed at the next round.

Reactions: ncjoe
like this
I need to try this again. I fired it up on console, but didn't care for trying to play it on the TV.

I then tried it once I built only to get annoyed when my archer hit another of my guys even though he wasn't even near the path of the arrow and someone was next to him who should have been the one hit if the arrow truly shot off almost 90 degrees to the right.

Back