Want a sanity check on this build.

NKDietrich

Supreme [H]ardness
Sup gents. I've built like a trillion systems over the years but I like to put my builds out there to get a little criticism before I push the big red button. There can always be something you've missed. So let's get to it then.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming & Coding
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Trying to keep it under $2000 shipped with monitor.
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Near Atlanta, GA.
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Case, Power, CPU, HSF, RAM, Mobo, HDD, GPU, Optical, Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Nothing being reused. Moving this week and cruising with just a laptop, leaving what few parts I have left these days behind.
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes, as far as I can without going into custom WC.
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
I'm looking for a 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 monitor to hold me over. I plan on grabbing a 2560x1440 27-incher later on.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
In the next few weeks.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
SLI, USB3, SATA6. I want to add a second GTX 670 once I move my resolution up.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Will be using 64bit Win7 or Win8.

My current ideas I whipped up on that PC Part Picker website:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($85.09 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Microcenter (With CPU))
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 520 Series Cherryville 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($136.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS224-06 DVD/CD Writer ($27.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Dell U2412M 60Hz 24.0" Monitor ($308.77 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K90 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($109.98 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Black Edition ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1929.72

Thoughts?

For upgrades in the short term, say the next 3 months or so, I want to grab a 2560x1440 monitor and a second GTX 670.

Anyway, thanks for the look dudes.

EDIT: Updated based on suggestions.

Last edited:
I'd switch the card from Eva into that gigabyte wind force 670, which goes for same price as retail, but has better cooling (think [H] reviewed it recently).

Besides this build lacks most important thing -SSD. Downsize hdd to 2tb or 1,5tb and get a 256gb SSD. Seriously not having one of this puppies will hamper the high end computer. Id not wait woth it for few months, its more important then anything else. Also, if you do a lot of writing on keyboard, get a mechanical one, instead that Sidewinder.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Near Atlanta, GA.
How far are you away from these Microcenter locations?:
http://www.microcenter.com/at_the_stores/duluth.html
http://www.microcenter.com/at_the_stores/marietta.html
Power Supply: Corsair 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Even with your plans for overclocking and SLI, that PSU is still a bit overkill. You'll be fine with the cheaper Corsair HX750 750W PSU.

Also, I absolutely concur with MorgothPl: It's basically a bad idea to spend more than $1500 on a PC and NOT get a SSD right away. So I highly recommend a SSD right now with your budget. So go with the Crucial M4, Samsung 830, Plextor M3, Corsair Performance Pro, or Intel 520 seriess SSDs, whichever is cheaper or you trust more. If you have to, downgrade the HDD as MorgothPl said to fit in at least a 128GB SSD. Also downgrade the liquid cooling kit to something like the Corsair H80, Antec Kuhler 620 or Antec Kuhler 920. Or even a high-end air cooler like the Noctua NH-D14.

Monitor: Dell U2412M 60Hz 24.0" Monitor ($308.77 @ Amazon)
In the short term, say the next 3 months or so, I want to grab a 2560x1440 monitor,
With your budget, you can grab a 2560x1440 monitor right now:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038996930&postcount=4

Oh yeah, Microcenter. I forgot about them because there wasn't one convenient to my old place. Marietta is convenient. I suppose I could save a bit on the CPU by hitting them up.

Even with your plans for overclocking and SLI, that PSU is still a bit overkill. You'll be fine with the cheaper Corsair HX750 750W PSU.

Makes sense. I always tend to over-estimate the amount of PSU I'll need.

Also, I absolutely concur with MorgothPl: It's basically a bad idea to spend more than $1500 on a PC and NOT get a SSD right away. So I highly recommend a SSD right now with your budget. So go with the Crucial M4, Samsung 830, Plextor M3, Corsair Performance Pro, or Intel 520 seriess SSDs, whichever is cheaper or you trust more. If you have to, downgrade the HDD as MorgothPl said to fit in at least a 128GB SSD. Also downgrade the liquid cooling kit to something like the Corsair H80, Antec Kuhler 620 or Antec Kuhler 920. Or even a high-end air cooler like the Noctua NH-D14.

Yeah, I think I will try and squeeze an SSD in now. As for the cooler, I'll check into that. I don't want something that has to sound like a turbine in order to keep an overclocked 3570 cool. The H100 I figured would let me use two quieter fans versus one loud one. But I suppose with the RAM I'm getting I don't need to worry about cooler clearance and that opens up the NH-D14 like you said.

With your budget, you can grab a 2560x1440 monitor right now:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038996930&postcount=4

I read about this, but I'm not really sure how I feel about the gamble. I know that if I get a stuck pixel or two anywhere but the very edge of the screen I will go full on OCD. What are the odds of getting something decent?

Oh yeah, Microcenter. I forgot about them because there wasn't one convenient to my old place. Marietta is convenient. I suppose I could save a bit on the CPU by hitting them up.
How long is the drive? You can also save on the motherboard (or get a better motherboard for the same price as your current choice) as well since MC will knock off $50 off any available Z77 mobo if you purchase it with the Core i5 3570K or 2700K.
Yeah, I think I will try and squeeze an SSD in now. As for the cooler, I'll check into that. I don't want something that has to sound like a turbine in order to keep an overclocked 3570 cool. The H100 I figured would let me use two quieter fans versus one loud one. But I suppose with the RAM I'm getting I don't need to worry about cooler clearance and that opens up the NH-D14 like you said.
Yeah and the NH-D14 has been found to be a pretty quiet HSF by the folks over at SilentPCReview.com.
I read about this, but I'm not really sure how I feel about the gamble. I know that if I get a stuck pixel or two anywhere but the very edge of the screen I will go full on OCD. What are the odds of getting something decent?
According one user here on the forums, 1 out of 5.

How long is the drive? You can also save on the motherboard (or get a better motherboard for the same price as your current choice) as well since MC will knock off $50 off any available Z77 mobo if you purchase it with the Core i5 3570K or 2700K.

It's maybe 10 miles each way. Not bad. And I didn't know about that mobo combo deal. Very nice I'll have to do that.

According one user here on the forums, 1 out of 5.

Hmmm... I'll give that some thought.

Thanks for the tips!

Updated based on current suggestions. Almost have enough in my budget to squeeze in a decent CyberPower UPS.

ALso regarding burner. Don't know, how Lite-Ons are today, but few years ago I had nothing but problems with their error correction. I always prefered ASUS or Plextor then Lite-On or LG. But, since I bought my last bruner about 4 years ago, and it still is working I'm out of loop.

ALso regarding burner. Don't know, how Lite-Ons are today, but few years ago I had nothing but problems with their error correction. I always prefered ASUS or Plextor then Lite-On or LG. But, since I bought my last bruner about 4 years ago, and it still is working I'm out of loop.

I know how you feel. I didn't use my last burner all that much, and no one really seems to review these things anymore.

They're better now. To be honest, most DVD burners out now are pretty much all the same quality wise. Short of bad luck or bad batch, you really can't go wrong with DVD burner quality wise. However price is another matter...
I know how you feel. I didn't use my last burner all that much, and no one really seems to review these things anymore.
DVD burners have become so cheap ($16 to $25 at most), the fact that there's like a new revison of a DVD burner every month or so (my personal PC parts list has a DVD burner list thats damn long because of that), and the fact that they're all basically the same quality wise makes reviewing them a waste of time.

Speaking of DVD burners, you're overpaying for the DVD burner. You can get a cheaper and more popular DVD burner for $10 less:
$18 - LG iHAS124-04 DVD Burner

Also, you can save $25 by getting that Corsair PSU and Corsair case together form this combo deal:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1021024

that build is pretty similar to what i will be building in the next couple weeks. some suggestions i have(more of a personal preference): look at the Logitech G510 keyboard. its the same price as the one your looking at, but has a TON of features. also, id go w/ a Crucial M4 SSD, but thts personal preference as well

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

Speaking of DVD burners, you're overpaying for the DVD burner. You can get a cheaper and more popular DVD burner for $10 less:
$18 - LG iHAS124-04 DVD Burner

Also, you can save $25 by getting that Corsair PSU and Corsair case together form this combo deal:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1021024

Cool beans. I'm not sure why I had that other one on there now that I look at it.

that build is pretty similar to what i will be building in the next couple weeks. some suggestions i have(more of a personal preference): look at the Logitech G510 keyboard. its the same price as the one your looking at, but has a TON of features. also, id go w/ a Crucial M4 SSD, but thts personal preference as well

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

Yeah I looked at a lot of SSD reviews and the thing I didn't like about the M4 is it seemed to collapse under mixed read/write workloads. As to the keyboard, the G510 has some nice features, I like backlit, but I also like mechanical given how much typing I do. I'm not sure I'd want to spend over $100 on a fully membrane keyboard.

Back