W10 1709 update stuck at 45%

auntjemima

[H]ard DCOTM x2
I have been avoiding this update for ages. I keep pausing updates for 35 days and going on my way. Well, I wasn't on for a few days and I guess the 35 ran out so Windows ran some updates and updated me to 1703 and then downloaded and tried 1709... But it always fails with an error of

windows could not configure one or more system components.

Generally with wouldn't be an issue, as I would just ignore it, revert back, and pause updates.. but since this update had already tried to install once, it won't stop. I paused updates and disabled the Update service and yet every day I sit down at my PC it has tried the update AGAIN and failed and reset my PC..

The biggest issue here is I am TRYING to run WCG and it needs to stop restarting.

I have tried everything I can find online, yet no luck. Anyone here had the issue and found some stupid fix for it? I'm going crazy.

I have tried everything I can find online, yet no luck. Anyone here had the issue and found some stupid fix for it? I'm going crazy.

Yep I went back to 8.1. The malware like tactics MS took for 1709 was the last straw.

- disable windows update service and kill trustedinstall.exe
- delete all content in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder
- delete any windows.old and window.new or whateere the folder i called in c:
- run disk cleaner and make sure anythin with windows update in it
- reboot and reactivate windows update server
- run windows update

I have had thos happening a coupl of the hotels i support

While I'm not aware of what tactics you have used to delay 1709, I wouldn't rule out that whatever you've been doing may be impacting WIndows some how now.

Have you considered just doing a clean install, starting with 1709 to get around the update issue, then just allow Windows updates to install normally?

While I'm not aware of what tactics you have used to delay 1709, I wouldn't rule out that whatever you've been doing may be impacting WIndows some how now.

Have you considered just doing a clean install, starting with 1709 to get around the update issue, then just allow Windows updates to install normally?

Windows offers a "pause" feature on windows. Go to the update and security window and click advanced options. You can pause updates for 35 days there.

- run windows update

Thank you for some help! I'll try when I am home later and report back.

- run windows update

No luck.. BOO! I was so rooting for this to work. I've tried to install this thing about 50 times.

Back