VG259Q - 1080P 144HZ IPS, AUO Panel

mda

2[H]4U
Hi All,

So this monitor recently became available locally (not in the USA) for a little less than $300 out the door.

I am thinking of upgrading from an older LG IPS with a custom refresh rate set to 75hz.

Wondering if I'll be noticing any difference particularly with regards to lower motion blur/less smearing.

I noticed a difference moving from 60 to 75hz, but I'm not particularly convinced that $300 is worth this new panel.

I've been eyeing this panel ever since the VG279Q got released, but don't think I want a 27" at the moment. Also don't want a 1440p so I can keep my GPUs longer.

Any opinions re: this?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I was in the same boat as you, i even own a similar LG 23" IPS panel, so i can offer some insight in my experiences, having tried both a LG 27GL650F and 27GL850.

I will say right off the bat that both the upsize to 27" and the increase to 144hz were significant changes, enough that i don't think i can go back now. Everything just looks more immersive on a 27" and looking back at my 23" screen everything just feels tiny and cramped now. As for the 144hz, it's not so much that it removes blur/smearing it's that everything just feels smooth and silky. You pan around in a game, the movement is perfectly fluid and you can track everything with your eye with ease, where as movement on my old 75hz looks choppy and jagged. Even windows benefits from 144hz, the way the pointer moves, the way windows move when you drag them around. It's a completely different experience, or at least it was for me.

With that said, there are certain drawbacks. First of all, not every game runs at 144hz, which i found annoying. I was replaying New Vegas at the time and i found out the game is capped at 60. This is mostly an issue with older games though, so it depends on what you play. Doom goes to 144hz without problems. Quake 1 is capped at 72, Doom 3 is capped at 60, Dark Souls is capped at 60, some games i had installed like Singularity was capped at 120. Like i said this is probably more of an issue with older games or console ports but i had to point it out.

The second issue is performance. Once you try 144hz you WILL want to play games at that refresh rate which means you WILL want to upgrade your system more often. This is even more problematic if you go for 1440p. Now this is subjective but from personal experience, i couldn't stand 1080p on the 27" when using windows. Games were ok, but using windows was simply impossible for me, no matter the distance i used. I have a friend who has been using 1080p on a 27" screen for years and he says he never had any problems with it, but for me it was a big issue. Meanwhile, 1440p kinda looks too small instead, but the sharpness levels are amazing and since i have good eyes so far i didn't feel the need to use any scaling, which creates some issues of its own.

With games, it was less of a problem, as i said. 1440p definitely looks sharper than 1080p, especially on a 27" screen, but you can always compensate with anti-aliasing. 1440p is going to be better no matter what since the pixel is just smaller, but the difference between 1440p with no anti-aliasing and 1080p with anti-aliasing isn't that massive. Menu/text will obviously still look worse on the 1080p but it's doable. Then again if you are going to add ton of anti-aliasing to make 1080p look as good as 1440p you are going to lose the speed advantage, which is another factor to take into consideration.

Either way, i now have a 1440p 27" screen and even with a 5700 XT there are games i can't take to 144hz (i saw a test of Red Dead 2 and on a 5700 XT at 1440p it only goes up to 70hz), but i could if i had 1080p, all though in that case they wouldn't look as sharp, so it's a toss up between a more aliased picture or a fluid one.

I guess the moral of the story is that, yes, 27" and 144hz do make a difference, but maintaining a system with those specs is going to be significantly more expensive, so it's up to you.

Thanks for your insight.

A 27 presently won't fit on my desk (limited horizontal space due to speakers, limited vertical space since it has a second row where my printer and NAS sit).

I'm also partly wary due to anecdotal info that 27 may be too big for FPS (I am a try-hard competitive gamer who no longer does well in twitch games). I also sit about 20" away from the monitor so I have a feeling that 27 will be a little big.

This is why I'm considering 144hz, 24-25" instead. I don't like the smudging (maybe this is an IPS issue; I haven't had a TN in a long time). I don't think I particularly mind 60hz at this point. Sure I'm on 75 but I don't NEED it yet. Not sure if my opinion will change when if or when I go to 144hz. :D :D

One question though: Is there a benefit to run at 144hz fixed, or is something like 80-90hz constant, good enough already? I'm guessing that at 60hz/1080p, this 1070TI will be relevant for quite a while. Assuming I don't NEED 144hz for all my games, then a 1080p/144hz monitor won't shorten this GPU's useful life.

A 1440p monitor on the other hand, even at 60hz, will make me want to upgrade to an Ampere or whatever AMD has coming next.

In that case, i would recommend getting the new one by AOC:

144hz, IPS, 24" 1080p, with a contrast ratio of a whopping 1500:1. Apparently, the 27" version of this panel is different and doesn't have the same contrast advantage, so avoid that one.

One question though: Is there a benefit to run at 144hz fixed, or is something like 80-90hz constant, good enough already?

Anything below 120 starts to look a bit choppy, 80-90 more so. 120hz is really the threshold, can't see any difference between that and 144hz but once it drops below 100hz i can see it.

I would personally try to make everything run at least at 120hz at all times, but keep in mind there's also the issue of response times, which i recently discovered myself:

https://hardforum.com/threads/response-times-what-do-they-do-really.1989807/#post-1044417915

So some panels can perform better at 144hz than lower frequency rates, others can't even run 144hz properly because they are not fast enough (some Innolux panels are like that i believe). Frankly though, at the price range of the AOC i suggested, i doubt it's going to matter much. I mean, not like you have any other options for 24" 144hz, unless you want a VA panel.

Reactions: mda
like this
Thanks. Unfortunately, the AOC isn't available locally (not in the USA). It seems to be a good option as well though too. Saw this being recommended by a few youtubers.

Will give this a read and will do some further research too.

I'm not so sure I should have started this thread. Seems my wallet feels $300 lighter already. :D :D :D

Back