(very) slow SSD write speed.

Kiri

Limp Gawd
My SSD (SUNEAST SE900 SSD 2048GB), has suddenly started writing extremely slowly. Like less than 20MB/s when copying photos. Previously it performed decently.

The drive is about 75% full.

The drive looks healthy according to crystaldiskinfo.

But:

Do you think the drive is dying? I don't get any errors, and files read normally, and even seem to write correctly (just slow).
Could there be another explanation (and solution?)

Thanks!

Sounds like you hit the threshold at which the drive controller no longer has access to the cache set aside to help with write speeds (on QLC drives, a memory controller can treat a section of the NAND as SLC cache instead of the much slower QLC, if my memory holds true).

I'd try moving off / removing data and running the TRIM in windows (right click on the drive in My Computer/PC, select Properties, then Tools, then select the drive in the list and click on Optimize). It may take a bit for the controller to go back to normal, so if it doesn't work immediately you should give it a couple hours.

Thanks!
I tried what you suggested. I deleted about 200GB from the drive and optimized, and it did indeed give me better results:

So does that mean I have to keep the drive 40%- empty? In that case, a 2TB drive is practically more like a 1.2TB drive isn't it?

Though the specific results vary between models, in general SSDs work better when they are not anywhere close to full. This is even true for "enterprise" SSDs.

Thanks. I knew that the performance would deteriorate when they get near full, but I didn't realize it was so dramatic, and that they needed to have that much space available...
With prices having come down, I finally bit the bullet and got a 2TB drive thinking it would speed up my photo editing workflow, but it might not be very cost effective solution after all.. I guess I can archive older photos onto a traditional HD.

hmm, actually it seems I spoke too soon. The disk has quickly reverted to performing badly again. (13mb/s write)
I'm attempting TRIM again, but it seems something is amiss.

I have to say I still overprovision a SSD drive by say 10% from new. I especially would add extra if it was a QLC/SLC caching drive.

What are the temps? Is it okay for short burst of writes or 20MBps from cold?

What are the temps? Is it okay for short burst of writes or 20MBps from cold?

Temp is 29C.
It seems to start off writing at a fast speed, but only takes a couple of seconds to drop down.

Back