USB 3.0 modern update to old USB 2.0 front panel - advice for mod?

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
I'm thinking about moving back to my Cooler Master Cosmos 1010 case (Basically the same as the Cosmos 1000 - my 1010 was a minor refresh), from my open air P3 Thermaltake case. The only hesitation is that the front panel USB ports are 2.0.

Does anyone have any clean/OEM looking way to mod USB 3.0 ports into this type of panel? I've been looking for options, I'm sure they exist, but I haven't found any yet.

1611877277591.png

How are they attached to the front panel?

If they're screwed on, then what Rune75 suggested should work (one way or another).

If they are on a circuit board which is attached in some way, I'd have to see the board to know if you could modify it safely. But you could likely just remove the board and glue something in place, just may have to solder a ground wire to it for a proper job (depending on whether the front panel is grounded metal or not).

If it's inclosed in a plastic housing inside the case, then you may be able to remove it, disassemble, and replace the usb cable. I had to do that in my case, and it involved desoldering a ground wire, removing some plastic from the replacement usb cable, and soldering the ground wire to the new cable before reassembling and installing in the case.

Actually, you could just take that bay pictured above, and disassemble it.
Then reconnect it to your case how you desire. Or just buy the parts you need wholesale.

Computer building doesn't /have/ to be like "expensive legos."
You can go as far as you want. The pride you feel after a successful mod is worth it.

I've got one of those as the "official" front panel IO option in my Caselabs SMA8; if I was buying now I'd probably want something with at least one C port though.

Back