Upgrade or Build

DCookSta

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, I have a question and I need some help and opinions.

My current setup is as follows:

AMD Athon XP 3200+ @ Stock
MSI K7N2 Delta-L
512MB PC3200 DDR RAM
ATI X700 Pro 256MB
Enlight Case + 420w PSU

I know it's a bit out of date but for internet and some light gaming is seems to do pretty well. A few months ago I was having some issues with the machine freezing doing anything 3D, games mostly. I started to think I should build a new rig anyway since I could not figure out the problem, so I bought this board MSI K9MM-V so I could keep my video card and maybe HD. I was planning to get faster RAM, Power supply, case, fans, and an Athlon 64 X2. I run 32Bit windows XP, and dual boot with Ubuntu. No overclocking on this box.

Well, since I bought the new board, I tracked the issue down I was having. My current board just wouldn't support 8X AGP, so I backed it back down to 4X, problem solved. Now my real question is, do I buy the rest of the parts for my new X2 system i.e. RAM, Processor, case, fans, or upgrade to 2GB dual-channel or max out the RAM in my current system to 3GB (3 ram slots) and leave it at that? I'd like to do some first person shooters on it, but this will in no way be a gaming machine.

Will there be a night and day difference with the X2 running 32bit and Xp 3200+ running 32bit?

I would not upgrade your current system any further. A 2GB set of DDR RAM costs about $100 while for the same amount of money, you can easily get 4GB of DDR2 800 RAM. Or just get 2GB of DDR2 RAM for $50 and less.

As for whether or not an X2 would be dramatically different from an XP 3200+ depends on what you're planning on doing with the PC? If you multitask like crazy, than yeah an X2 would be a good choice. Gaming? Maybe. Just web browsing and word processing? Not really. Photoshop? Yup. Running multiple VMs? Yeah.

So what exactly are you doing with your PC now?

Return the MSI VIA AM2 board, regardless of what you decide.

I would not upgrade your current system any further. A 2GB set of DDR RAM costs about $100 while for the same amount of money, you can easily get 4GB of DDR2 800 RAM. Or just get 2GB of DDR2 RAM for $50 and less.

As for whether or not an X2 would be dramatically different from an XP 3200+ depends on what you're planning on doing with the PC? If you multitask like crazy, than yeah an X2 would be a good choice. Gaming? Maybe. Just web browsing and word processing? Not really. Photoshop? Yup. Running multiple VMs? Yeah.

So what exactly are you doing with your PC now?

Honestly, my wife uses the PC more than I do. She does a lot of email, web $hopping as opposed to browsing, streaming radio, office apps, burning CD's/DVD's and a little bit of IM'ing as well. When I use the machine it's mostly web browsing, watching videos, streaming music, Second Life, photoshop, but I usually do all that at the same time, so I multitask it a bit harder than she does hence needing more ram. We have 2 separate accounts as well. I also have some games like Unreal Tournament 4 so I do need some 3D power

Return the MSI VIA AM2 board, regardless of what you decide.

Well at the time, it was about all I could find to support the AM2 and keep AGP. I know the board didn't get glowing reviews, but would it have been a headache? It's still in the box in my closet.

Well at the time, it was about all I could find to support the AM2 and keep AGP. I know the board didn't get glowing reviews, but would it have been a headache? It's still in the box in my closet.

VIA chipset-based boards, in general, aren't the most ideal to work with. Though, yes, if you wanted to keep your AGP card, that would have been a good option for an AM2 build. However, I'd suggest getting a new vidcard instead of trying to use the X700 in a new system. You can sell your old parts to help offset the cost of a new system.

VIA chipset-based boards, in general, aren't the most ideal to work with. Though, yes, if you wanted to keep your AGP card, that would have been a good option for an AM2 build. However, I'd suggest getting a new vidcard instead of trying to use the X700 in a new system. You can sell your old parts to help offset the cost of a new system.

I don't have anything against selling my old gear, I just have to take the time to do it. It seems with me fixing my old system I'm not too motivated to build the new one. You guys have given me a few things to think about. I will probably end up returning the MSI board and continue shopping. Things may get pushed back a month since we're planning on moving in a couple months.

Thanks for the opinions.

Just ask for some opinions before you buy. You can revisit this thread when you have more time and money, most likely after you move.

Here's an Intel build for comparison's sake:

$67 - Antec NSK4480 w/ EarthWatts 380W PSU
$80 - Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
$69 - Intel E2160
$46 - A-DATA 2x1GB DDR2 800 kit
$170 - VisionTek HD3850
$28 - Samsung SH-S203B DVD burner

$460 - Subtotal (not including HDD and/or OS; before shipping and taxes)

This setup is somewhat better performance-wise than hossdaddy's post. The E2160 can be overclocked to up to 3GHz on the stock HSF, and the HD3850 performs better on games than the 8600GTS. Granted, the costs of a hard drive and/or an operating system would push this over $500, but this is an example of what you could build with a little bit of money.

Thanks for all the options, I think for now I'm going to return the motherboard. It guess it really doesn't make that much sense to get a new board all pumped up and then use my old video card and equipment. I'm thinking I will try to stretch this box as far as I can, or at least until the summer, and pump it up with ram. After we move and are comfortable I can sell the old box or give it to a family member. Then I can start completely fresh with new stuff and I won't be tempted to add in my old hard drives and such.

Back