Upgrade Advice

TheFlayedMan

Limp Gawd
Hello
Lately I've been feeling like I want to buy something for my PC, but don't want to buy a video card as I'm trying not to play games atm. Was thinking an SSD maybe or to replace my power supply as I've had it for ages. Then again I think I don't really need to buy stuff. I don't know. What do you think?

going from 80GB SATAII and 128GB SATAIII to a 250GBish SATAIII SSD might be worth it.

Pick up a $90 250GB SSD sell or re purpose your 80GB is a small relatively cheap upgrade. Also easily reusable if you plan a larger upgrade in the next year or so.

people like me who have older SATAII only boxes around will buy up any old SSDs pretty quickly too ;-)

Yes a new SSD seems like a good plan. Was thinking of a Crucial BX100 as I've never had an issue with Crucial before and they are good value. Considering I only have 2 SATA III ports on my motherboard perhaps I should get a bigger one than 256GB. I think I'll wait until payday to decide.

I would start thinking about a new PSU as even good PSUs can degrade in output and output qualtiy over time:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015...1000w_power_supply_7_year_redux/#.VXeOzs_BzGc

This PSU is a lot more power than you really need but it's a really fantastic deal for a PSU:
$111 - eVGA SuperNOVA 750G2 750W Modular PSU

Besides the PSU, the SSD (yes get a larger SSD), and more RAM (yes go up to 16GB of RAM or more), you should be more or less set for a few more years.

Wait, what case do you have?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah I was thinking of replacing my PSU I can't remember when I bought it now but must have been 7+ years ago although it cost £200 if I recall correctly. They seem to have got cheaper since then at least. EVGA psu's are seasonic designs aren't they? I was looking at a 660W Seasonic Platinum for £125 but may hold off for a while on it.

I'm not sure about more ram, I mean it sounds nice to have 16GB but don't think I've ever used all 8GB that I have now.

My case is a fractal design R4 which only just fits under my desk.

Hello
Lately I've been feeling like I want to buy something for my PC, but don't want to buy a video card as I'm trying not to play games atm. Was thinking an SSD maybe or to replace my power supply as I've had it for ages. Then again I think I don't really need to buy stuff. I don't know. What do you think?

I would say PSU, but you have a quality unit, even for an older one. SSD for sure. It's hard to believe everyone hasn't moved to SSD's yet. Single best upgrade for any PC in the last 3-4 years.

EVGA psu's are seasonic designs aren't they?

Only the GS series PSUs are (550GS and 650GS). The 750G2 is a SuperFlower design (the Leadex Gold).

The 750G2 is not to be confused with the NEX 750G (750G1), which is an FSP Aurum design.

I went ahead and ordered a 660W Seasonic Platinum PSU and a 1TB BX100. Waiting for the delivery now :) Perhaps slightly overkill on the SSD but I got paid extra for overtime I had to do so I figured I'd go for it.

Back