Unreal 5.4 Update now available

In five to ten years.

Wait, what?

Lol, no idea what that was supposed to be, but clearly some kind of error in the headline.

We'll actually be seeing games use this sooner than that. The Marvel game they showed is supposed to come out next year.

It's pretty easy to upgrade from previous versions of UE. And if you're already using Lumen and Nanite it's pretty easy to take advantage of the new stuff.

It's pretty easy to upgrade from previous versions of UE. And if you're already using Lumen and Nanite it's pretty easy to take advantage of the new stuff.

Until your project has a few hundred thousand lines of gameplay code... and multiple terrabytes of assets... and your resident engine dev has made their own changes...

In five to ten years.

Wait, what?
Supposedly developers can go from 5.1 to 5.4 at any stage of development, but that wouldn’t automatically include all the features developers then need to add them. The first titles are expected in 2025.

Fewer features simply means fewer settings to manually tweak for graphics. Tweaking games for Potato-Mode and not breaking it is hard, instead of giving lots of manual settings developers build profiles and let upscaling and frame gen fill in the blanks.

Upgrading the engine under an existing project is always a hassle. Unless you did literally zero customization or haven't added any of your own code, in which case I question how good is your game if it just uses everything as is OOB.

Upgrading the engine under an existing project is always a hassle. Unless you did literally zero customization or haven't added any of your own code, in which case I question how good is your game if it just uses everything as is OOB.
It's not that big of a hassle with UE5. Even if you have added your own code. It's mostly just added features and not breaking changes.

Very true for Unreal 4, not so true for Unreal 5.1 onwards.

Fewer options is never a good thing. That's why we have graphics presets for those who don't want to bother. But giving the most options for fine tuning should always be the goal.
While I agree take a look at most current games and features like Ray tracing aside, if you leave it and upscaling and frame Gen off. Put basic raster graphical presets to their highest, then to their lowest and you start seeing not only very little performance difference but also not a huge graphical difference.

You will get different draw distance, and a lot less clutter and ambient features but it’s no longer as potato like as it once was.

This is just the continuation of that trend, ultimately what it is, is far cheaper for the developer. 90% of UE5’s advanced feature set is all about taking what was a 1 month job for a whole team and making it something a single person can do in an afternoon.
Smaller teams and shorter development cycles means significantly lower costs, so it’s a trade off.
We lose features but the idea is it lets us get back to $60 games because the whole industry knows this $90 model is not sustainable, I mean look at the layoffs…

Last edited:
Put basic raster graphical presets to their highest, then to their lowest and you start seeing not only very little performance difference but also not a huge graphical difference.
The performance hit of features vary, but it's not nothing. You can still get big performance boosts by fine tuning settings in some games esp considering specific HW limitations. I think it would be a huge mistake to take away this fine tuning ability for the sake of simplicity.
You will get different draw distance, and a lot less clutter and ambient features but it’s no longer as potato like as it once was.
That has been the case for a long time now, it's not something unique to UE5.

This is just the continuation of that trend, ultimately what it is, is far cheaper for the developer. 90% of UE5’s advanced feature set is all about taking what was a 1 month job for a whole team and making it something a single person can do in an afternoon.
Smaller teams and shorter development cycles means significantly lower costs, so it’s a trade off.
We lose features but the idea is it lets us get back to $60 games because the whole industry knows this $90 model is not sustainable, I mean look at the layoffs…
I think the way to make games sustainable is to forget the stigma of store assets and embrace generative content, whether it is only procedural or AI.

Back