Uncharted 4

ammo is definitely an issue as you always need to be looting enemies to pick up more...unless you happen to pick up the China Lake grenade launcher which is pretty powerful...I use melee a lot in the game because of the limited ammo...for some reason the aiming doesn't feel the same as the previous Uncharted games...I only played the remastered Nathan Drake Collection versions so maybe the 60fps made the difference...here the aiming doesn't feel as precise and maybe it has to do with the 30fps
Yea remastered definitely felt easier with the 60fps. I've played through all 3 on ps3 as well, and ps3 was definitely tough. Only played them on normal difficulty on ps3 I believe. The PS4 controller is a lot better. Also seemed to be some pretty heavy aim assistance that I'm not sure was configurable in the remastered ones? It tracked the target once you got your xhair on them, and often seemed your shot was lined up already when you popped out of cover.

Still a lot of fun, but just stupid we can't use a mouse if desired, in SP at least. Combat would be so much more fun. Although 30fps with a mouse probably isn't much better.

The motion blur in this game is killing me. It literally hurts my eyes. It's such a great game, but it's not even fun for me to play it. About 20 minutes at a time is all I can handle.

just finished the game (Hard difficulty)...I give it an A-...I still give Uncharted 2 a slight edge...Uncharted 4 had a great story, fantastic characters, amazing dialogue and best ever console graphics but it was missing one of the staples of the series- the big action set pieces...Chapter 11 was really the only extended set piece in the game (and one of the best in any game ever)...I thought the addition of Sam was going to weigh the game down in needless backstory and flashbacks but it was actually really well done...Sam felt like an important part of Nate's story and it never felt forced (unlike the boring Uncharted 3 flashbacks)...the flashbacks to their childhood were great

the slight open world feel was a nice change and the rope gun while used a bit too much was also a nice addition...game felt really long if you explored and listened to a lot of the optional conversations...game was also quite challenging on Hard as every enemy spammed grenades constantly, destroyed your cover and were pretty aggressive...I didn't really like the ending or the Epilogue and thought it should have been more dark...I wonder if this is really the final Uncharted game or if Uncharted 5 will eventually come out...

I was expecting less of a sappy happy ending...I wanted some sacrifice, someone from the core 3 to die...I was expecting Elena to bite the dust

It makes sense to make this the last Uncharted title...as we all know it.

Ultimately I'm left with this and eagerly: What does Naughty Dog do next and where do they go?

Finished it tonight. Great game. Seemed like the FPS was dropping down in the last few chapters though. Was kinda getting tired of the jungle at the end, even though it was amazing everywhere you looked.

Probably should have just played on normal or hard, crushing was definitely frustrating at times. If I play through it again, it will be with infinite ammo, the .44 and a nade launcher :).

Ultimately I'm left with this and eagerly: What does Naughty Dog do next and where do they go?

even though Naughty Dog is the developer, Sony owns the property so future Uncharted games are a possibility...but in the immediate future I think there main focus is Last of Us 2...even though they originally stated that there would be no sequels...

Last edited:
Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
really nice spoiler filled interview with Neil Druckmann where he talks about Uncharted 4's development, things that were cut from the game, Bloodborne and more...some interesting quotes...don't read unless you completed the game...

"I knew we didn't want to kill Nathan Drake, or kill any of the main characters, because tonally that felt wrong. Even though I knew in marketing we wanted to do everything we can to make people feel like we might"

"You have some sexist focus testers who were really upset by Nadine beating up Nate, and really upset at the end when it was Nate's daughter. To the point where we had to ask one guy to leave"

'Uncharted 4' Director Neil Druckmann on Nathan Drake, Sexism in Games

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Anyone doing a second run through with unlimited ammo turned on? I've been very tempted but as it is right now i'm running through Far Harbor (Fallout 4) right now.

For that matter, how does weapon spawning work? Does it cost points per weapon spawn or are the points just to unlock the ability to spawn the weapon?

The amount of blur im seeing makes me want to throw up while playing. I thought maybe i'd get used to it, but im at the auction right now.

I won the game over the long weekend. I eventually got used to the motion blur, but it's torture for the first couple hours. It's also worse with the earth tones in Scotland and Matagascar. Things get better once you get past those two.

Without spoiling anything, I think it's the best Uncharted narrative. Definitely not the best game of the bunch, though. IMO, #2 is still the shining star of the bunch. #1 probably had the best shootouts, though. This one had far more story depth and felt the most compelling toward the end. I don't know if it ever had a signature shootout, though. All but 1-2 can be avoided almost entirely by sneaking around or overusing melee. Aiming is still a tiny bit wonky (I blame the reticle), so I can't blame anyone for going that route.

On my first pass I ended up getting about 70% of the treasures and 2/3 of the optional journals and conversations. I think for my 2nd pass I'll try to clear out everything else and I'll bump the difficulty, too. There aren't that many instances where it should matter. There's far more platforming than shooting.

EDIT: Anyone else feel the rope took away like 95% plausibility of the game? How many of those "it's too high for you to follow me" moments could have been solved just by tossing the rope down? It worked fine in the previous games because you had no rope. In this one, not so much.

Last edited:
I think Neil Druckmann is a great at storytelling but overall this felt more like Last of Us 1.5 then Uncharted 4...there was only 1 major action set piece (Chapter 11) and everything else was character based story...pacing felt weird as there were often long stretches of walking/climbing...still a great game but didn't feel like Uncharted to me...I think they made a mistake letting Amy Hennig go (creative director on the first 3 Uncharted games)

While I appreciated the banter, there are were several long sequences that were only in the game to place treasures. That or to trigger 1-2 lines of dialogue. I appreciate them adding depth to the characters, but I kinda think they could have done the same thing in a more meaningful way. Rather than via driving your jeep around or mashing X to traverse yet another mountainside. Either that or make the treasures actually do something so that you're more compelled to seek them out. Trophies shouldn't be your only motivation to investigate 1/2 the game.

I appreciate the game and what Naughty Dog was able to do. At the same time, they tinkered with a formula that made for better games. This was 1/3 Uncharted and 2/3 Alan Wake or even Heavy Rain.
Hindsight's 20/20, but I wish they cut down on some of the monotonous wall-hopping and just gave us more cutscenes. I've played through the other games between 4 and 6 times each. I tend to think this one won't garner that.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
I'm going through and collecting the treasures, conversations, and journal entries I missed.
There are definitely some long stretches with nothing but jumping around on cliffs. Some of the treasures you look for are torture, too. They have this huge open area (the sea, especially) and it's totally unused except for hiding achievement bait. I'm OCD about those damn things in the Uncharted games, but even I'm a little put off by it. It feels Ubisoft-like.

I have actually stopped bothering for more treasures or journals. I don't know how much I have collected but it is definitely not all of them and I am on Chapter 12.

I got about 60% of them on my first pass. I stopped hunting really hard around chapter 12'ish myself. As you get to the later areas, you'll definitely feel compelled to stop. The areas keep getting larger and larger and the # of treasures and journals decreases. It becomes very much a needle in a haystack...and the haystack doesn't have anything else of value.

Right now I'm just going through chapter-by chapter and getting what I missed using an FAQ sheet. Once I clear all of that, I'll probably replay the game as a whole on hard. The game is honestly a lot more fun without the random distractions of treasures, notes, etc.

the notes, journals and optional conversations are fun but the treasure crap becomes tedious...especially once you enter the forest/jungle areas where there are tons of potential hiding spots

in my opinion Uncharted 4 wins the most disappointing game of 2016 award...disappointing does not mean bad game...the game was excellent but it did not live up to the hype of being the final Uncharted game...A Thief's End felt like every other Uncharted game when I was expecting an epic ending to Nate's story

It feels Ubisoft-like.

I can't believe you said that. lol. Ubisoft actually fills your game map with fuck-tons of bullshit. This is nowhere near Ubisoft-like. That is a insult imo. lol. Nobody is making you look for the treasures, but if you were to be so inclined then you have to do some searching. I remember reading something about the Uncharted games which I totally agreed with and that i've never thought of before, was that Naughty Dog does a exceptional job of making linear games feel non-linear. The level designs are so great that even though you know it's linear it just doesn't feel like it. It's hard to explain, but there is enough open space and just enough amount of clues to figure out where you are supposed to go.

While not the same as Ubisoft's "collect the 1000 flags!" type of thing, Uncharted 4 has about a half dozen absolutely massive levels...filled with nothing. They're literally only that big just to toss a random trinket in a corner. It feels like a massive waste of resources. Nobody likes invisible walls and rails, but Uncharted 4 probably needed some.
Without treasures and cut-scenes, the game is relatively short. While nowhere near as excessive, it's a bit like Metal Gear Solid 4. There's a really short (but good) game that is in the middle of a lot of pomp and circumstance. It's great to experience once...maybe even twice. But after that, you start to realize how thin the game portion is.

Hit Chapter 15 now. Game is getting a bit repetitive. Graphics are amazing but I feel there is too much time spent on platforming. Overall still a great game and better than no. 3. Rivals 2 in most departments.
Motion blur in some levels is killing me though and making me nauseous especially when you pan more than 90 degrees. This game would have been absolutely dope on the PC.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
On the plus side, I just noticed a new feature for future replays. You can actually go from encounter to encounter via the main menu. I realize that what makes Uncharted so special is the plot, but if you're just looking to replay the shootouts - you can. I don't know if any are super epic (something #3 actually did pretty well), but there are several good ones. Chapters 18 and 20 being the highlights.

Got the last of the treasures and optional journals/conversations/notes. I'm actually really curious how a replay without all of that will go. Even just motoring straight for the hidden stuff I noticed a pretty drastic change in the pacing for the game. Everything felt a bit more like the other games instead of looking for tobacco accessories on cliffs and wandering in huge open areas.

One weekend during the summer I think I'm going to replay all of them in a row (sans treasures, luckily) and see how they really do compare with one another directly. I have the feeling that #3 is probably better than it gets credit for (except for aiming) and #4 might be a whole lot better when played in a linear fashion.

Finished the game and absolutely loved it.

Best water in a game.
Best facial expressions in a game.
Best platforming in a game.
Best environments in a game.
Best sound in a game (including the effects, guns really packed a punch).
Decent story in a game.

9.5/10. Wish it were a bit longer. I think total time played was about 15 hours and some change. Hope there is more to the series than this.

Finished the game and absolutely loved it.

9.5/10. Wish it were a bit longer. I think total time played was about 15 hours and some change. Hope there is more to the series than this.

That is about the right game length for me when it comes to games that are not RPG's.

The game length was fine to me. I think it just feels different due to the pacing alternating between story/wall-hopping and shootouts.

Nice! I'll completely remove the motion blur. That was the one thing making interpolation/smoothmotion unusable. I'll fake my way to 60fps at last!

I've never had an issue with motion blur in any game...it's a bit over-done in some games but I still leave it enabled...gives it more of a cinematic look

Bump for the remaster on PS5 and DF's tech analysis of it.

I just played through the Uncharted Collection last month and Platinum'd them along the way in preparation of this. Given my refreshed memory of the previous games, I still think U4 is the best in the series, and 2 & 3 being about equal IMO, with 2 having a bit better story and 3 a bit better gameplay.

Anyone playing the LoT collection? The first thing that made me happy was that it imported your saves/achievements from the PS4 versions. I didn't feel like hunting down all of those treasures and notes again, especially not in Lost Legacy.
While the 120Hz mode looks cool in its own right, I've opted for the 60Hz mode. Uncharted has lots of moments with longer view distances, and the 60Hz mode definitely showcases that. It's still smooth as butter, too. I can see some folks opting for 120Hz or even toggling the two for different areas, though. U4 a little more last gen than TLoU2 and GoW (when running them on a PS5), but Lost Legacy is on par.
Honestly, I still don't like Uncharted 4 that much, though. I still consider it the worst game in the series. Yes, the acting is better, the story is more serious, etc. but as a game it's a bit of a slog. The first 40% of the game amounts to a playable cutscene that you have to control instead of just watching. In general, the pacing is slow and replaying it just isn't as much fun as the previous games. The story's great on the first pass, but after that, not so much. For my tastes, 2 was the best with 3 lagging a little behind due to its wonky controls and a plot that needed like 500 coincidences. I'd put 1 and 4 on par with one another. 1's rudimentary, but it's the best pure shooter of the bunch. 4's more of a movie than a game, but it has by far the most polish. I don't really count Lost Legacy (or Golden Abyss for that matter) since it's only about 60% as long as the other games.

I am playing through Uncharted 4 in Legacy of Thieves. Playing it on the 4k/30fps mode and the game looks absolutely gorgeous. 120fps mode is utterly wasted on a cinematic game like this... not like it's a competitive shooter. 60fps is fine though. Really looking forward to seeing what Naughty Dog can do with a native PS5 developed title considering this is a PS4 game and I honestly couldn't see any noticeable differences between the PS4 Pro and PS5 version.

Although now that I think about it.... idk what i'd prefer from that studio now. I don't want another Last of Us and Uncharted's story-ark is complete and honestly those games all play the same so something new from Naughty Dog would be great.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Although now that I think about it.... idk what i'd prefer from that studio now. I don't want another Last of Us and Uncharted's story-ark is complete and honestly those games all play the same so something new from Naughty Dog would be great.

After finishing Lost Legacy I think I’d be okay if they continued Uncharted with Chloe, Nadine, and Sam. The only way I could really see justify bringing Nate back into the fold would be if someone killed Sam or Sully and I’d rather not either happen and they just leave Nate retired.

As far as Last of Us. Yeah. I wouldn’t mind seeing more of that world, but I don’t want any more of Ellie’s story. There might be something to explore with Abby and Lev, but the open ended nature of 2’s ending with them also works as a good signing off point for their characters.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
I played around with it last night just to test out the graphical modes and see how they played. Definitely gonna play on 60fps mode, as 120 looked too soft and 30 somehow felt like 20fps to me compared to when I played it on PS4 Pro. I think I should have reloaded the game, because there was a lot of hitching when I switched to 30, but I didn't care enough to troubleshoot and just switched back to 60fps mode.

Looks great though and I'm glad I could import my PS4 saves over as well so I don't have to redo some achievements. I originally planned on Platinuming this game now, but I see one of the trophies is speed running the game within like 6 hours, which I hate those types of trophies that make you play though the whole game like that. All previous games only made you speed run a few chapters that only took like 5-10 mins and I mostly got on the first time. I'm trying to finish Days Gone right now for the first time though and dunno if I'll get done with that before Horizon comes out. So not sure when I'll get around to playing this again now.

After finishing Lost Legacy I think I’d be okay if they continued Uncharted with Chloe, Nadine, and Sam. The only way I could really see justify bringing Nate back into the fold would be if someone killed Sam or Sully and I’d rather not either happen and they just leave Nate retired.
The devs have said that they actually planned to make a Sully-focused game after Uncharted 4, but ended up going with Lost Legacy instead. They've been giving quite a few interviews recently and it sounds like they might make another one, but probably not soon. Things wrapped up pretty neatly, so I get it.

I think a prequel with young Sully could be lots of fun depending on their tone. Nadine is a generic bore, but I'd be okay with Chloe and Sam (Charlie, too) in another game. I'm with you that Nate/Elena need to stay retired outside of someone kidnapping or killing Cassie/Sully/Sam. Even then, I think that would be a little lame.

IF they're going to make a new Uncharted game, I think they should use a whole new cast of characters with the exception of a legacy character or two. The Drakes have played their role, let them stay retired. It's a huge world, a lot of people can be global treasure hunters, why does Nate have to be the only one?
Also, the big treasures have been found, maybe Atlantis can be the next?

I started Lost Legacy last night and I agree with some others in this thread - ‘Performance’ mode at 60 fps is the sweet spot. ‘Fidelity’ mode at 30 fps felt like something less than 30, not a good experience. Though I played through all of U4 at 30 fps and eventually you acclimate. Lost Legacy looks pretty good especially in HDR. I’ve been playing nothing but The Witcher 3 as of late, so it feels good getting back into something that’s a cinematic experience. Naughty Dog are the best in the business when it comes to that.

The original version of Uncharted 4 took me a while to get used to the FPS each time I would play. Something about it always messed with me in the same way Bloodborne does. My eyes just didn't like 'em. If I played any 60FPS games around the same time, the effect was compounded. I'm guessing it the frametime, but whatever it is, it prevents me from looking around and truly appreciating the world like I normally would. I've played through Uncharted 4 several times before, but I'm already noticing lots of new things I didn't see before. Oddly, Lost Legacy didn't have the same issue and TLoU2 actually looked fantastic at 30FPS to me, so it isn't just the framerate.

I've noticed that positional audio seems to be much better in this version vs. the original games. In spite of the prior Uncharted releases always having the zany speaker array configuration, those games never really had much in the way of positional audio. At least I never found it noticeable. This one-has bare bones audio settings, but it sounds better and "wider." In this collection, the audio legitimately comes from the direction it's happening onscreen. It sounds comparable to Atmos implementation on the Xbox and PC IMO.

Back