UnBoxing Fatal1ty H170 Performance/Hyper - OC with H170 chipset?

MadOver

Weaksauce
My friend told me to build a rig for him that could make him game decently on 1080p the latest games and be quiet. Since he said he didn't want to spend too much on the PC he said he could give up overclocking, he wouldn't mind.

Well, AsRock always been one of the most overclocking friendly brands and have been on the news lately by allowing their H170 motherboards overclock even those more affordable nonK CPU's which in the end you save in the CPU and chipset.

First off, these are all the components I got for him

1GPA8dU.jpg

Asrock Fatal1ty H170 Performance/Hyper

Intel i7 6700 (got a nice sale on this one :)

PowerColor RX480 Red Devil

GeIL EVO FORZA D4-3200 CL16 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB)

GeIL R3240G SSD

CM G650W PSU

CM MASTER LIQUID PRO 240

CM MasterCase 5

Now to the main bad boy here, let's take a look at the Fatal1ty H170 Performance/Hyper.

From my understanding, Asrock names Hyper series the boards that have the BCLK chip that allows clock change / thus providing overclocking features to non Z and nonK CPUs / memories. Even the B110M Hyper that they just announced recently has this "magic" BCLK making also a great budget board for oc.

It's funny they don't mention anything on their box about CPU overclocking, only the memory, I'm guessing Intel don't allow them
rZ7CSB9.jpg

Speaking of the box here's a overview of the card's box in the back, we already know how it looks in the front.

yyUPtqf.jpg

Here you can see the key features, besides the awesome BCLK for our overclocking journey, we also have quite decent features for a value board, USB Type-C, the always trusty Intel LAN, Fatal1ty Mouse port if your into gaming, Ultra M.2 and one thing very important and worth mention, the 10 Power Phase design, always good for a decent solid and reliable mobo.

And now, a quick unpacking:

http://gifmaker.me/files/download/home/20160912/00/PWMp2yQow7lV5m7BHGcRGa/output_PhW3sC.gif

Included in the box we have a software setup guide and separate user manual, driver CD, a screw for the M.2 slot, IO back plate, 2 SATA cables, Xsplit subscription code, case badge and ad for ASRock's G10 Gaming router.

Looking at the mobo, maybe I'ma bit biased, but I always had a thing the red and black theme, from this picture perhaps you cannot really tell how good looking it is but the following ones you get a feeling and looks like Asrock did a pretty awesome job laying out the board and its components.

bdfwzKo.jpg

On the 10 Power Phase, we have beautiful heat sinks matching amazingly good with my pair of Geil DDR4 EVO Forza. Killer combo! Also you can see the BCLK chipset just above the Fatal1ty logo and near the Fan Header (by the way, this mobo has 6, 4 pin Fan headers, plenty of cooling possible and all controlled by the UEFI bios.)

3JWlEHH.jpg

I pickup up the Geil EVO FORZA D4-3200 at great pricing. Always a key component to have in mind to have in consideration when you want to have a decent overclock.

Also worth mention the additional power socket just above the PCIe slot, used to provide extra power to the PCIe lanes. This is specifically for SLI and Crossfire, good idea for the RX480 reference cards I guess.

Being a overclocker, I'm surprised to see a "value" board like this having dual bios! But then again Asrock always had overclocking DNA on its brand but it's good to see they keep delivering, thumbs up!

5LKrygn.jpg

This Purity sound right here, features a 7.1 channel soundcard that is based around a Realtek ALC1150 codec, features Nichicon Fine Gold Series Audio capacitors and comes equipped with a TI NE5532 Premium Headset Amplifier with support for headphones up to 600Ohms. Pretty good for a onboard sound "card", I will have to test that later on.

K4vmZ2k.jpg

Plenty of connectivity here:

Rear Panel I/O– 1 x PS/2 Mouse/Keyboard Port

– 1 x DVI-D Port

– 1 x HDMI Port

– 1 x Optical SPDIF Out Port

– 1 x USB 2.0 Port (Supports ESD Protection (ASRock Full Spike Protection))

– 1 x Fatal1ty Mouse Port (USB 2.0) (Supports ESD Protection (ASRock Full Spike Protection))

– 5 x USB 3.0 Type-A Ports (Supports ESD Protection (ASRock Full Spike Protection))

– 1 x USB 3.0 Type-C Port (Supports ESD Protection (ASRock Full Spike Protection))

– 1 x RJ-45 LAN Port with LED (ACT/LINK LED and SPEED LED)

– HD Audio Jacks: Rear Speaker / Central / Bass / Line in / Front Speaker / Microphone Other Features /

TFcsJXE.jpg

Besides having a ton of storage connectivity (6 SATA 6Gbs ports and 2 SATA Express ). you will find this board features Ultra M.2 boosting 32Gbs! There was a time that this didn't made much sense on a value board since M.2 storage was crazy expensive but these days the prices have been going down quite and easily find a decent value option.

9wf6y3u.jpg

T4vPYp0.jpg

Picking ASRock Fatal1ty H170 Performance was a no brainier, considering being on budget! Paying around 100 bucks for this board instead of 150 for say the a Z170 mobo, while not losing the overclocking ability makes perfect sense. Later on post my experiences and probably a guide how to overclock a NonK CPU and memory using a H170 Hyper motherbard.

:)

Last edited:
let us know. I have a i5 6500 that I ran on an Asrock Z170 Gaming4 with a skyOC bios allowing non K cpus to oc. it ran 4.7ghz :). I have since updated that bios and using a 6700k now in that rig. I may at some point use that i5 6500 again and would want to oc it back to where it can go.

Last edited:
Just spend the afternoon playing with the bios, so many options!
Had to mess around with the memory settings a bit but...

image.jpg

me Happy :)

Is that mem OC'ed just because of your BCLK or are you actually able to change the multiplier?

Because if you can't change the multiplier on memory, it kinda sucks for OCing the CPU as you will hit a BCLK limit

It's because of the BCLK, thats the benifit of these Hyper series, I think they are the only ones in Asrock line up that can overclock locked CPUs also using non Z chipsets.
2 things ur not supposed to be allowed to do :D

It's because of the BCLK, thats the benifit of these Hyper series, I think they are the only ones in Asrock line up that can overclock locked CPUs also using non Z chipsets.
2 things ur not supposed to be allowed to do :D

it is great but cant you just get a z170 for 99$ USD?

If there is no option for memory multiplier, it will severely limit max BCLK you can do, won't it?
I do 174 something bclk on my i5 6400 and i couldn't run that without lowering my mem multiplier to 16x or 17x

it is great but cant you just get a z170 for 99$ USD?

If there is no option for memory multiplier, it will severely limit max BCLK you can do, won't it?
I do 174 something bclk on my i5 6400 and i couldn't run that without lowering my mem multiplier to 16x or 17x

But even with a Z170 you wouldn't be able to overclock a CPU that is not K. which in the end if you buy H170 Hyper together with nonK CPU is money saved and yet you can still overclock, something you couldn't with the Z..
I know that few Z170 allowed nonK CPU oc using the same BCLK , but I think intel made them phase out of the market.

Obviously nothing is perfect, you cant change the multiplier but the boost you get from aditional bus speed (making faster mem bandwidth) and additional CPU clocks is worth it.
Not to mention you do

But even with a Z170 you wouldn't be able to overclock a CPU that is not K. which in the end if you buy H170 Hyper together with nonK CPU is money saved and yet you can still overclock, something you couldn't with the Z..
I know that few Z170 allowed nonK CPU oc using the same BCLK , but I think intel made them phase out of the market.

Obviously nothing is perfect, you cant change the multiplier but the boost you get from aditional bus speed (making faster mem bandwidth) and additional CPU clocks is worth it.
Not to mention you do

You can still OC using the Z170 boards same as day 1. Intel didn't phase out or patch anything, they just told them to stop advertising it.

Back