Turing GPU Architecture White Paper

Dayaks

[H]F Junkie
There's is a vast amount of FUD around the RTX line of GPUs launching in a few days. I found this really in depth white paper that details what the technologies are and what they do. It also explains a lot of features I didn't even realize the cards have.

https://www.nvidia.com/content/dam/...ure/NVIDIA-Turing-Architecture-Whitepaper.pdf

Noteworthy:
  • Improved CUDA Cores: Page 11 has information about cache changes and concurrent execution.
cs.png

• 50% higher Effective Bandwidth: Page 22
  • Ray Tracing: Page 26
  • DLSS: Page 35
And various other techs, mesh shading, variable rate shading, ect.

What's also neat to note is a 2080 is 545mm^2. Compared to the 1080ti/Titan X's 471mm^2. Die size on the 2080ti is 754mm^2 but that's more commonly posted.

The CUDA core changes make sense and explain where the extra performance is coming from. There's chance the leaked benches are actually at stock but we'll find out soon.

2 days (?) until reviews!

I think there's a thread linking the white paper from a week or two ago, but it's good to see it linked again.

There are quite a few little pieces of tech not being talked about at all:

1) More efficient two viewpoint rendering for VR to reduce the overhead of displaying a different view for each eye.

2) The concurrent execution was pushed pretty hard when the cards first launched but kind of fell off the radar as the hype built up for release. The reason being games have to be designed to use it. But that doesn't make it any less important. It's potentially a good solid 30% perf boost for most games that can have the rendering pipeline built to take advantage. A big deal for the next wave of games.

3) The memory compression is better than the 1080Ti and according to their charts adds an equal amount of extra memory bandwidth as the change to GDDR6. That's a lot of extra memory bandwidth.

4) Display support. The displayport 1.4a can handle 8k 60fps! Also, the card is designed to drive TWO 8K displays if desires. That's also pretty crazy.

5) It can accelerate encoding making 4k streaming possible. In addition it can encode 8k 30 in real time.

Back