Tools to flash and recover BIOS on ASUS P8xxx boards (FD44Editor, FTK)

No luck =/

I set the jumper to the proper position for ME_Recovery.
Verified that the ME readout within the BIOS reported it as "FW State: Recovery",

Tried the "backup" command, but still failed with Error 26.

I tried it again with my edited BIOS installed and the ME_ Recovery set, but also hit Error 26.

What would you advise next? ;)

OK, I will give that a shot.

I assume it does not matter that I have a different codec than the example?

This motherboard uses ALC898.

I won't be able to try this until tomorrow at the earliest.

Any advice on the shorting? Never done that before.

All HDA chips have the same standard pinout, so it's pins 1 and 5 on all of them.
I'm using tweezers for shorting. Short this 2 pins on powered off PC, power it on and remove shorting on POST screen.

Hey coderush danke für alles.
Ill keep it in eng though so other people can also chime in.
I successfully downgraded my bios from 3207 to 1004 using your method above. The system works like a charm now. Though now I'm having the problem that I have to csmos reset every time after shutdown to boot up. Otherwise it won't even start at all.
Do you have any advice? I have the p8p67m pro board.

I used the power off command at the end. I wasn't sure if the ME Region was a different one than 3207.

Last edited:
Tbb, gerne.
Try flashing another version, i.e 1002 or 0901 and test if that problem persist.
Use reflash and poweroff command to downgrade. Report here after reflash.
3xxx BIOS versions have ME v8, earlier have ME v7, so yes, that was a different one.

New version of FTK - 0.9.4
- solved a bug in restore.bat introduced in 0.9.2 and prevented this file from working. No one has used it about a month, nice. :)
- added biosbck.bat file to make BIOS region backup if full backup fails for some reason (locked regions mostly). Will be described in the guide later.

Last edited:
thanks for the quick reply...whats exactly the difference between reflash and flashprp (which i used last time to flash my bios (which was modified before)
should i use this time the reflash command?

The difference is that with reflash makes all things that you do with FD44Editor + flashprp automatically.
It makes full BIOS backup, transfers individual data to supplied bios.bin (in can be vanilla BIOS file from asus.com, just renamed) and then flashes the modified bios.bin to BIOS chip.
You can use FD44Editor + flashprp if you like, but this automatic way is a bit better.

hey coderush,

just reflashed and poweroffed my pc. used 2 different firmwares. everything went smooth, though the problem remains.
any other tip?
i still have the backup of my 3xxx bios before i used your tool for the first time. Do you think it would be any helpful to go back there? My pc went really crazy with 3xxx. I had huge problems just getting into bios or getting into Windows with it. (took me hours) and had to use CMOS restart like a bunch of time too (it started every time..but sometimes just with a blank screen, other times with everything).
cant imagine why ASUS would release that kind of firmware as public....
anyways..never had to use CMOS restart before that crappy firmware...
have a few days of warranty left :)D) ...so maybe thats another way...but kinda wanna solve this and keep my mb..;)

There are several variables involved here:
Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge CPU in use
ME Oprom vers 7, ME Oprom vers 8
Intel MEI driver in dev man - vers 7.xxxx or vers 8.xxxx or MS generic PCI-PCI standard bridge
Bios series for Z77 or Z68 or P67. On P67 Z68 there is a dividing line when the bios jumps the Vers 7ME to Vers 8ME barrier within a certain minimum bios version only, and it does so only one time.

Ivy Bridge needs oprom 8xxxx - Intel MEI driver 8.xxxx
Ivy Bridge will have lots of issues with only MS Generic drivers
Sandy Bridge can use either V7xxxx oprom or 8.xxx oprom, Intel MEI V 7.xxxx or 8.xxxx

In other words all 3 factors must be co-ordinated, especially when you go BACK from late bios to very early bios. What ever bios you employ, the driver installed doesnt change. You may need to delete current drivers, rerun Intel chipset utility 9.3.xxxx and install compatible drivers - without letting Win 7 to reinstall old ones.

So, I need to know:
>What CPU are you using and did you have dif CPU first?
>What ME vers is showing on bios MAIN page
>What Intel Management Engine Interface driver is showing in Dev man/system devices (or MS Standard PCI-PCI bridge)
>You went from 3207 bios to 1004 bios using FTK with WHAT mobo?

Edit: 1805 bios out today for Z77 and new bios also for X79
1805 is a good offering, skipped 1708

My mb : asus p8p67m-pro (see my old post above)
Intel mana engine interface device.:7.0.0.1144 (installed the lastest version of Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver Software V10.5.0.1026 before BIOS upgrade to identify my new 3TB HDD)
ME version: 7.0.4.1197
I have i7 2600k sandy bridge running, and nope I didnt change the CPU. So that was the only cpu from the start. I had just installed a new HD before doing the first bios update to 3207.

By the way, is it important to run Windows right after BIOS downgrade? I've tried to shut down my pc (after downgrade and restart, and before it boots up windows)..but it still needs CMOS restart to boot up)
Is it also necessary to do a CSMOS restart right after each downgrade?

Last edited:
Your system is acceptable as is (ME MEI CPU mobo)
Needing cmos reset to boot means something else major out of whack - like shorting somewhere, cmos jumper on wrong pins or loose, case "ON" button fried, low battery or upside down, loose/bad cable, some setting in bios makes system unbootable, PSU issues 24 pin 8 pin. CM212+ or stock Intel Heatsink, etc.This is the kind of issue that could take forever to figure out.
The prob is you dont have a bunch of spare devices to switch in and out for testing (CPU PSU RAM Vidcard)

Your first best shot is to try it out of case, start with opened paper clip

There is no need to clear CMOS after reflash with FTK just because it rewrites every single free byte with 0xFF.
Try flashing 3xxx version with reflash and see if CMOS reset still needed for computer to start. I don't think it's a BIOS problem, more like hardware, as cisco_guy already said.

@cisco_guy: Thanks for chiming in. Well we can narrow it down. I never had any issue with my system before that update. (as for this, i dont think its PSU, video or CPU) Though I'll check cables and jumper configuration. I have also resetted BIOS options to default each time. So i dont think it's that kind of problem. Also with the battery: upside down (system was running fine before, so i dont think that too), maybe low from all those CSMOS restarts?
I'll try some stuff over the weekend, if nothing works out I'll send the mb in for warranty.

good news everyone! ;)
checked all cables, jumper and removed battery, removed video card and put everything back together. now everything works! i can boot the system after shut down. Though now i have the cold boot issue. (it starts, shuts down, starts again and boots.
im running 1002 firmware..so maybe 1004 fixes it?

i just updated to 1004 using the ASUS onboard tool. Issue remains. Also, every time after shut down, my pc beeps. Does this mean anything?
Though the system works so far! Thanks for taking your time to help me out ;)

The double boot is very common, less so nowadays with current bios, nothing bad
It just means you have some bios setting that is undoable, the bios tries to boot with it and cant, so it kicks back a notch and tries again - usually working. Could also be some device is not detecting or detectable with certain bios vers. I have a list of 100 things that cause double post.

kk thanks for the answer...just got another problem here....my system started lagging after some hours of usage..so i tried to figure out what was going on. Well, i figured (trial and error) that when i use one of the SATA 3GB/s ports, the system starts to lag. SATA 6GB/s work fine though. I havent had that problem before i did my procedure. Any way to fix this? I still have the rev. 1 board when the board came out. (they had to pull it back because of some SATA issues)..so it could be hardware related.

I think I'll use a boot cd, and check if its maybe windows related...

edit: just found an excerpt of the SandyBridge issue they had: "The ports potentially affected, interestingly enough, are the four 3Gbps SATA ports on the chipset. The two 6Gbps SATA ports aren't at risk.". Seems to fit my problem..though just wanna make sure

Last edited:
You should RMA it.

Why would you keep a board that has a recall because of known SATA performance degradation over time?

well because it sucks to send back your mb ,wait a week or so till you get it back.
also only max. 15% should be affected + only the SATA 3GB/s ports, so it was kinda like gambling

Hello All,
I would like to downgrade a bios from 3602 with ME 8.**** to 2001 , but after reading the guide about 20 times I think that I am now confused as to which command to use.. And will it flash everything at one time?

Hardware is: Asus P8P67-Pro 3.1
I7 2700k – 8gb ddr3 1600 – Crucial M4 ssd on Intel sata 6 port and a Raid 0 array on 2 intel sata 3 ports with the latest irst drivers.
Original Bios was: 0105 - flashed to 3602
soriginalbios.jpg

Thanks for any help as the bios 3602 is quirky as anything...I will be reinstalling windows 7 -64 and using the intel drivers from the Asus downloads which are older.
Ron

Last edited:
First of all, I doubt you could have used normal ASUS flashing tools to jump from ship bios to 3602 successfully
This takes one flash, another auto flash, and a third flash manually by you (ME Update), then a PSU >1 min.unplugged cmos reset.
(Also you must make absolutely sure you have the 3.1 bios because 3.0 had NEC USB and 3.1 has ASM USB)
I tell folks triple flash and no one believes me, but I have done a bunch of them.
Just for my curiosity, check right now to see:
ME version on bios main page
ME version in dev man Intel MEI driver

Anyways you should just have done it with the CodeRush method, which can fix anything as long as you can still boot to bios (even then you can hotflash in another mobo)

You need the reflash and poweroff cmds

5. Flashing the whole BIOS. Command: reflash. The BIOS file to flash must be named "bios.bin" and must be in the same directory with FTK. You must used a BIOS file for your board.
Use it to reflash/update/downgrade all BIOS regions including Descriptor and PDR (if present). Works totally like biosrefl, but flashes not only BIOS region, but all of them.
You need to use poweroff command after successful flashing to ensure ME restart. ME is powered with standby power line and doesn't restarts on normal reset, so you must use that command or remove power complitelly and wait for 30 secs to reset ME state.

Its so simple - its like falling out of bed
(place FTK files naked in root of booter drive, no folder along with bios renamed to bios.bin same place)

I'm still on 2001 on my P8P67 Pro, but have been hesitant to upgrade. Should I hold off?

Thanks much Cisco guy,

This is my Son's board and I am waiting for him to get off work so he can call me with the info that you requested. We flashed the bios with 3602 3.1 and it seemed to go thru the flash process and system was rebooted a few times.. I did not realize the steps that you have stated.. Also no problem getting into bios and changing settings

I know the bios has version BIOS 3602 and on bios page the ME version is 8**** dont know the entire version until he calls back... I will also post a screen shot of the 3602 3.1 bios taken with FD44 Editor as soon as possible....

My board is a P8P67 3.1 (not pro) with bios 2001 and my son's board is P8P67-Pro 3.1

The ME driver will be under system devices /Intel 6 series/c200 series management engine Interface ????

Thanks Again,
Ron

Last edited:
Here is the info that you requested,

BIOS Version: 3602 X64
EC Version: MBECE-0018
ME Version: 8.0.2.1410
South bridge stepping: B3
Intel Management Interface Driver version: 8.0.0.1262
Date: 11-09-2011

Thanks,
Ron

soriginalbios.jpg

Why does this original bios not show ME version?? and if I save to bios image file..which will be bios 2001 and reflash will there be me version after reboot? or will I have to make a copy of the 3602 bios and save to bios image file 2001?

Sorry for the stupid questions and I greatly appreciate any input...

Ron

Ron, FD44Editor shows that your data in current BIOS is present and normal. Why are you using FD44Editor to transfer it then?
As cisco_guy said, use full reflash with reflash and poweroff commands and unmodified BIOS file from asus.com renamed to "bios.bin". All data will be transfered automatically.
And about ME version: I think that your "original BIOS" is actually a BIOS backup made by ASUS tools like BUpdate or EZ Flash. That kind of images has 0xFF in place of all BIOS regions except BIOS itself, that's why ME and GbE version are not shown. BIOS file from asus.com (1005) has ME 7.0.4.1197 and GbE 0.13.

Why are you using 0105 bios?
Let me break this down as simply as i can:

You are wiping your current bios chip and 100% reprogramming the whole damn thing
At this point you can load your bios chip with any image up or down you want 2100 3207 3602 - anything
Once you pick A bios and reflash, you are DONE.
The reflash command (wipe and program) will eliminate your mobo ID's and specific intel MAC that were programmed into your original bios by ASUS.
Normally using ASUS flash tools keeps your current unique stuff - it only flashes selectively. - certain areas of the bios are locked and untouchable.
The FTK flash will then install a generic Intel GBe MAC 88-88-88-88-87-88
(Realtek MAC is on their own chip).

Your original MAC addy is on a sticker on the side of the ATX 24 pin socket

You can add the original mobo ID's if you want,and the original Intel MAC - if you want. I dont because the generic works fine and I dont care about the mobo ID's. The only thing is if the PC is networked - it wont show up anymore with the generic MAC. Thats what FD44 editor is for. Using a newly downloaded bios from ASUS that you can add the ID's to it, THEN save rename and flash.
I just reflash and powerdown with FTK for boards that I get from others all screwed up. If they are bricked, i just reprogram offline.

I have my own programmer and I also have used every flasher method known to man, Linux flashrom, AFUDOS, AFUWINGUI, EZ Flash, Bupdater, ASUS backflash etc. But since CodeRush method is so easy and virtually foolproof, thats all I use right now.

The only thing you have to decide right at this time is what bios you wish to employ. If you have any slight hint that you may wish to use an Ivy Bridge CPU, then flash 3602. Ivy Bridge needs ME OPROM Vers 8.0 and drivers. I think last bios without vers 8.0 oprom install was 2100. Note that crossing the line from ME V7 to V8 ONLY HAPPENS ONE TIME - and thats the DUAL flash like for Z68 mobo. P67 is the triple flash. All Z77 are ME 8 already. Sandy Bridge CPU are backwards compatible with ME8 OPROM and drivers.

Since you are wiping and flashing, doesnt matter what you do, you can reflash 100 times if you wish. Even if you dont backup, and you lose the mobo ID's, they are on stickers on mobo anyways. Once you get your USB stick ready, you can just add more bios anytime you want and flash - takes 2 minutes!

All ASUS P67 now discontinued except for two, I guess no more bios updates?
Only 4 left for Z68 (been 1-2 years since intro for both)
Better make sure you have the bios you need - lol

BqpyhG1.jpg

UyQg0r3.jpg

Edit:
(Please don't waste bandwidth by quoting this big post)

Last edited:
The reflash command (wipe and program) will eliminate your mobo ID's and specific intel MAC that were programmed into your original bios by ASUS.
Normally using ASUS flash tools it keeps your current unique stuff - it only flashes selectively.
The FTK flash will then install a generic Intel GBe MAC 88-88-88-88-87-88
(Realtek MAC is on their own chip).
This information is about 6 months old. :)
Now FTK batch files are using FD44Copier to transfer all data from current BIOS to new BIOS during any kind of flash, but only if that data wasn't lost before. There is no need to use FD44Editor for data transfer if that data present in current BIOS. Just reflash and poweroff, and that's it.

I see that I must rework the text to make it understandable and add some new information like instruction to unlock locked ME region or instruction to hotswap BIOS chips, but I have no time for it till 5. February.
cisco_guy, can I ask you to help me develop a better guide text, when I be ready?

Wow thats great, I didnt know the tool now did that
That makes it absolutely perfect!!
(I never check because I dont care about the MAC or ID's - I would never send a mobo back to ASUS for ANY reason)
Anyone who uses ASUS flash over yours would have to be crazy now - no more excuses.
I told HHC the admin over at VIP that ASUS should hire you, but they just do things over there in their own way. I would guess 25% of all ASUS mobo probs are bios flash corrupted/incomplete related. People now wet their pants before starting an ASUS flash.

Yes, I could help - I know your native language is Russky.
Just PM it to me.

I have done very small thing, just reversed FD44 module format and wrote a pair of small programs, it's not good enough to work for ASUS, I think.
I don't know why ASUS can't use Intel FPT as normal flashing solution (EVGA did that and noone have any problems with it) and why they made USB BIOS Flashback so freaking unusable, but what's done is done.

@ cisco guy and CodeRush,

Thank both of you for the great explaination and guidance, sorry about my confusion as I think that I now understand.
I will do a backup then reflash as you have outlined and will let you guys know how it went.

Again thanks for your time and sharing your knowledge with a noob...:)

Ron

Ron, FD44Editor shows that your data in current BIOS is present and normal. Why are you using FD44Editor to transfer it then?
As cisco_guy said, use full reflash with reflash and poweroff commands and unmodified BIOS file from asus.com renamed to "bios.bin". All data will be transfered automatically.
And about ME version: I think that your "original BIOS" is actually a BIOS backup made by ASUS tools like BUpdate or EZ Flash. That kind of images has 0xFF in place of all BIOS regions except BIOS itself, that's why ME and GbE version are not shown. BIOS file from asus.com (1005) has ME 7.0.4.1197 and GbE 0.13.

CodeRush,

You are correct....This is a backup bios made from Asus EZ Flash.... Got it now
Thanks for help..

Ron

Hello to all.

First, many thanks to CodeRush and his really very helpful tools have finally fully repaired my PC.

The story...

I have an ASUS P8H67-V.
I think it is probably rather rare sold worldwide.

After a BIOS update with an ORIGINAL BIOS file from the ASUS server which was unpacked only approx. 3 MB in size, my PC still was DEAD.
Unfortunately I have noticed that after the crash.
There was no warning by EZflash2 (!), flashed it easy - and that was it.

After some discussion with the German ASUS service ("...yes, we have told taiwan office to remove it two weeks ago...") (!!), I had to send my chip to them and got back a properly programmed chip, which launched the PC again.

But (what I first do not understand): all licenses of MS wanted to be reregistered, a network connection did not come up.

The reason for this was (what I know now), that this error deleted all original MB data (UUID, MAC...). And so I have got a "new" PC.

But I recognised also a lot of OS freezes, and also failed the writing of data to the SSD / HDD while this freezes.

In my opinion this has been due to a FW / driver conflict with the IMEI.
There was included in the new BIOS chip (v3604) FW 8.0.4.1441, but PC BIOS setup reported FW 7.0.4.1197 (which was in the old BIOS v0804 before the crash).

I bought me a small USB programmer, as well as matching chips.
I created a chip with the BIOS v0804.
From there, I flashed with EZflash2 to v3506 what also updated IMEI to 8.0.2.1410 (two times flashed as told by ASUS).

Despite further flashing to v3604 / v3608 (with FW 8.0.4.144) the BIOS setup still reported FW 8.0.2.1410...

And here I've finally found, after much searching on the web, this forum.
I read through (330 pages - oh god ;) ), get much explanations and found the tools from CodeRush.

The guidance was good enough to solve my special case.
Thanks FD44editor all original MB data is available in BIOS v3608 (except the UUID, I have created a new), the MAC and the serial number are correct.
And IMEI FW is updated on 8.0.4.1441. Simply great.

And since that the PC running error free!
Even sleep and waking up going through without any problems! (this was the original reason to update the BIOS...)

Thanks again to CodeRush and all those, who have contributed here to a solution and give help to me with similar problems.

:) :) :) :)

Back