Votes: 34 29.3%
  • DX9 is fine, stick with XP

Votes: 59 50.9%
  • I want my cupcake!

Votes: 23 19.8%

• Total voters

Dunamis

[H]Lurker Supreme[/H]
Just a quick poll here, is it worth it to install Vista just so I can play Crysis in DX10?
At the moment I'm very comfortable running XP altough I got Vista Ultimate sitting in my drawer.

I've seen the side by side picture of both version and I'd have to say DX10 made quite a difference, but then when you're moving thru the game shooting at the bad guys you wont really notice the eye candy anymore.

So the question is, is it worth the hassle of installing Vista (dual boot of course) with all the trouble downloading and installing drivers for everything just to run Crysis in DX10?

have you done all the cfg file tweaks to enable all the dx9 features that are disabled by default in crysis when in DX9 mode

crytek artificially made dx9 look alot worse then it is capable of

enables those first

from what I have seen (screenshots and live play) dx9 with tweaks ~ dx10
sure you may have an extra ripple on the water or an extra shadow on part of a rock surface BUT they look essensially the same

I've read about the tweak, does it run slower though? ? I mean when compared with the DX10 counterpart.

It's a tossup, really.

On the one hand, you absolutely can get a comparable aesthetic with very good config files, on XP & Dx9. Equally, though, you can also crank Dx10 to almighty proportions. Performance, in most cases, is marginally different between the two OS's; all system specs being equal and newer, of course. As for Physics and destructible environments, there's not much difference in the Single Player with Dx9 and Dx10; if any at all.

You may also want to consider whether you'll be interested in Multiplayer at some time or another. This is the biggest separation of Dx9 and Dx10, although some of it is arbitrary. And, as of right now, Dx10 only servers are few and far between for a few reasons: 1) There's a small online community right now, 2)Of those who do play online, I'd say a little over 50% have the hardware to handle Dx10 MP, 3)There is some speculation of latency problems on Dx10 server with physics, etc.

But really, why would anyone make a decision on the type of OS they'll be using strictly on the merits of 1 video game?

You know, or should know, Dx10 is here to stay. Dx9 codebath is going to hit End of Life eventually. XP will NOT support Dx10. If gaming is your only reason for owning a computer, or the main one, then those reasons alone should answer your question. But, if you're happy with XP, then by all means stick with what works for you.

As for me, I've enjoyed a solid year of stability, reliability and comfort with Vistax64; ranging from image editing software, web development software, office document software, 3d and Animation software, games, movies et al.

h[Snip..]

Where's the proof? They may have "drawn" arbitrary lines, but they did so in the interest of the majority of their customers. It is the enthusiast who has all the latest hardware whom is the minority. I bet that many of the people who bought crysis barely met system requirements, thus the reason to set a standard with Dx9 cVars. How clunky of an interface would it have been to list 1200+ cVars in the options menu? Anything designed, is designed with the average user in mind.

You may also want to consider whether you'll be interested in Multiplayer at some time or another. This is the biggest separation of Dx9 and Dx10, although some of it is arbitrary. And, as of right now, Dx10 only servers are few and far between for a few reasons: 1) There's a small online community right now, 2)Of those who do play online, I'd say a little over 50% have the hardware to handle Dx10 MP, 3)There is some speculation of latency problems on Dx10 server with physics, etc.

I didn't know there are two different server flavors depending on DX version.

But really, why would anyone make a decision on the type of OS they'll be using strictly on the merits of 1 video game?

Hence the poll, I just want to see if people who played the game thinks it's worth the time spent. I will still keep XP either way via dual-booting so both OS will still be used for their own purposes, it's just at the moment I dont feel the 'urge' to install Vista (i.e. i'm too lazy :p)

I didn't know there are two different server flavors depending on DX version.

Well, can't expect players on old equipment (single core proc., 6-7 series/ 800-1900 series gfx cards) to keep up with quad cores and unified shader architectures, can ya?

Hence the poll, I just want to see if people who played the game thinks it's worth the time spent. I will still keep XP either way via dual-booting so both OS will still be used for their own purposes, it's just at the moment I dont feel the 'urge' to install Vista (i.e. i'm too lazy :p)

So, inadvertently you wanted to see what ppl who own and play Crysis think about owning and using Windows Vista? Limited test group if you ask me.

have you done all the cfg file tweaks to enable all the dx9 features that are disabled by default in crysis when in DX9 mode

enables those first

from what I have seen (screenshots and live play) dx9 with tweaks ~ dx10
sure you may have an extra ripple on the water or an extra shadow on part of a rock surface BUT they look essensially the same

What he's trying to say is that the difference between DX9 and DX10 is subtle and will cost you quite a bit of additional performance to run DX10.

Ultiamtely we're going to rely on DX10 in a number of years so it's an eventual upgrade you're going to have to make, like it or not. My suggestion is that if you have an option to move to Vista now, then I would. DX10 isn't the only benefit of Vista and you can still run your games in DX9 if you don't prefer the additional quality.

DX10 all the way. Granted I only play at 1280x720, because I use my DLP as my monitor, but I can max crysis out at that resolution. I should also note that with my previous hardware Crysis and Vista were a crash fest, but now with my new rig its very stable.

I have Vista and still play the game in DX9 mode cause it seems to run faster. Maybe drivers aren't DX10 optimized yet or something. Either way, I'm still having fun. I'm never like, Ohh shit this sucks cause it's not DX10.

2008-0203-001.jpg

NO.
Do not "upgrade".

The game runs slower, and you can activate the same effects in DX9.

My custom cfg. Looks better than VERY HIGH on a DX 10 machine.

con_restricted=0
r_WaterRefractions=1
r_WaterReflections=1
r_WaterUpdateFactor=0.05
e_water_tesselation_amount=10
e_water_tesselation_swath_width=10
r_WaterUpdateDistance=0.2
r_WaterCaustics=1
r_WaterReflectionsQuality=4
e_water_ocean_fft=1
q_ShaderWater=2
r_WaterReflectionsMinVisiblePixelsUpdate=0.05
r_DepthOfField=2
r_MotionBlur=4
r_sunshafts=1
r_UseEdgeAA=1
r_Flares=1
r_Coronas=1
r_colorgrading=1
r_GlowScreenMultiplier=0.2
sys_spec_Quality=4
e_sky_type=1
e_sky_update_rate=1
r_DetailTextures=1
r_DetailNumLayers=2
r_DetailDistance=8
r_HDRRendering=2
r_refraction=1
e_ram_maps=1
sys_flash_edgeaa=1
e_vegetation_use_terrain_color=1
e_terrain_ao=1
e_terrain_normal_map=1
e_max_entity_lights=16
r_UsePom=1
r_EnvTexUpdateInterval=0.05
r_TexturesFilteringQuality=0
r_HairSortingQuality=1
r_FillLights=14
e_particles_thread=1
e_particles_lights=1
r_Beams=3
r_BeamsDistFactor=0.05
r_BeamsMaxSlices=200
e_Clouds=1
r_CloudsUpdateAlways=0
sys_LowSpecPak=0
r_TexSkyResolution=0
r_ImposterRatio=1
r_EnvCMResolution=2
r_EnvTexResolution=3
r_DynTexMaxSize=80
r_TexAtlasSize=2048
r_DynTexAtlasCloudsMaxSize=32
r_DynTexAtlasSpritesMaxSize=32
r_VegetationSpritesTexRes=64
e_hw_occlusion_culling_object=1
r_GeomInstancing=1
r_TexturesStreaming=0

r_SSAO=1
r_SSAO_quality=2
r_SSAO_radius=2
r_ssao_amount=0.3
r_ssao_darkening=2.5
r_eyeadaptationfactor=0.44
r_HDRlevel=1
r_HDRBrightOffset=6
r_HDRBrightThreshold=6
r_EyeAdaptionClamp=2.5

The below link is "The ultimate tweak guide!" :), which has a chart of what each and every single console command does.
http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=11614

EDIT: You need to make a file called "autoexec.cfg" and add that to it, in your Crysis folder "X:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis". The options will be active when you start the game.

Waste of money for the many reasons already stated. It's just not worth it even though I was stoned for thinking Vista isn't worth the ugprade either yet. WinXP and DX9 is just nice and solid and refined.

NO.
Do not "upgrade".

The below link is "The ultimate tweak guide!" :), which has a chart of what each and every single console command does.

EDIT: You need to make a file called "autoexec.cfg" and add that to it, in your Crysis folder "X:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis". The options will be active when you start the game.

Ok, I'll try that thanks!

Works great for me, if you want DX10 in the future you're going to need Vista anyway.

*insert the picture of the half naked chicks with cupcakes*

you.. know what picture i'm talking about

NO.
Do not "upgrade".

You forgot to say what settings you need to enable in game alongside the autoexec values as the game vars you posted dont cover all the game vars.
ie did you use High, Medium or a hybrid ?

Go with xp and stick to dx9

I did that and went to vista just for crysis and it was dissapointing....

You forgot to say what settings you need to enable in game alongside the autoexec values as the game vars you posted dont cover all the game vars.
ie did you use High, Medium or a hybrid ?

Set everything to high (you cant do "very high" in dx9).
It really doesnt matter, with those cvars active, a few of the options will say "Custom".

Half of those cvars are "Very high" variables. There are a few extra parameters I chose myself, for max performance and image quality. For an explanation of what each cvar does, follow the link to the chart I had posted.

General consensus seems to agree with my lazyness to install Vista :p

On a side note I've applied the tweak and it works great, I can see the "God's ray" now :) although framerate sometimes dipped to mid 20's every now and then.

so Vista being a bad OS is a finished fact now, so all the time micosooft dudes spent on developing a newer version of Xp was a waste, well….why not, I even like to think of it that way to justify my illegal copy of what ha who said illegal no no I was talking about something else
anyway I love Vista, never had any single problem with it, I’m using it at work and home, it just needs a fast PC

DX 9 scenery from Flight Simulator X
directx9.jpg

And a rendering of the same scenery with DirectX 10
directx10.jpg

[snip]
[snip]

Whoa, HUGE difference!

Is there a similar kind of tweak that allow those effects to be rendered in DX9?

I ran Vista for a year but recently went back to XP. Vista is fine except games run slower on it to the point that it is noticeable and it hampers gameplay. DX10 has good points as Crysis does look better in DX10 then it does in DX9. However, if you can't play it due to the slideshow then what's the point?

I may go back to Vista when I build another new PC. The one I built a year ago was supposed to be for the Vista upgrade but apparently it wasn't enough for DX10.

Can't vote. I use Vista but run most of my games in DX9 mode. I hate the look of XP these days and would not go back. Vista is a pretty good all rounder apart from DX10 been useless.

Only one game is it worth it in my opinion, and that's World in Conflict, which just looks amazing in DX10. But Crysis, no difference.

Maybe its just me but I noticed a huge difference between Dx9 and Dx10 in Crysis.

Maybe its just me but I noticed a huge difference between Dx9 and Dx10 in Crysis.

Did you use the DX9 Crysis tweaks to enable Ultra High quality?
Using those in DX9 gives you practically equivalent quality to DX10 and you get a higher framerate to boot.

Did you use the DX9 Crysis tweaks to enable Ultra High quality?
Using those in DX9 gives you practically equivalent quality to DX10 and you get a higher framerate to boot.

No, I am just comparing High quality to Very High quality. I get acceptable frame rates, I would rather not mess with the configs.

so Vista being a bad OS is a finished fact now, so all the time micosooft dudes spent on developing a newer version of Xp was a waste, well….why not, I even like to think of it that way to justify my illegal copy of what ha who said illegal no no I was talking about something else
anyway I love Vista, never had any single problem with it, I’m using it at work and home, it just needs a fast PC

directx9.jpg

directx10.jpg

I'm reasonably certain that the DX10 shot isn't rendered in DX10 and it's an "artists impression", you might want to check the sources on that.

I put vista on my laptop to get 4Gb support (Vista 640 as Xp 64 support still sucks). On my PC I have XP still (2GB). I prefer the look and feel of vista areo, but I hate the new controll panel :p I'd wait untill you need 4Gb support then go to Vista 64, until then the DX10 switch is not yet worth while.

the lighting in that dx10 picture of the lake just looks off, doesn't look realistic. and it's obvious someone pasted that water from a photo.

and the water is pretty choppy, yet the trees are completely still....ok kidding about that. but still, that can't be from ingame, at least from any game available to us now.

Back