To dual-channel or not to dual-channel

Dunamis

[H]Lurker Supreme[/H]
Just found myself running outta RAM and keep swapping memory to harddisk when loading CS:S with HDR at 1600x1200. So the question is:

Leave my system at 1Gb Dual-Channel or upgrade to 1.5Gb Single Channel ?

I currently have 1Gb running dual-channel mode but could't afford to get 2 GB dual-channel, so I'm thinking if adding another piece of 512MB which unfortunately disable the dual-channel setup. Will running single-channel decrease the overall performance?

i believe the benefits of getting an extra 512mb of ram will be greater than the cost of running in single channel instead of duel channel

I thought so, but the thing is that it's only going to help when running high-demand games, it wont make much of a difference for any other win app.

oh wait.. that's an nf2 board we're talking about, isn't it? 3 sticks will still be dual channel, and single/dual channel has next to no effect on aXP's due to the way the bus is set up :p

As far as I know dual-channel *always* goes in pair, and the mobo manual clearly states either install them on DIMM slot 1 and 3 or DIMM slot 2 and 3 for dual-channel to work.

And as for the performance, they do make improvements, not much tho
here (scroll down)
and
here

ah, that's what i thought until i really played around with the board. if you happen to have a 3rd stick of ram around now, throw it in and what what happens. even if it is single channel.. yeah. not much at all. if you bitch about losing 2fps... :p :D

Back