This DC Thing is Addictive... Like Crack!

RFGuy_KCCO

DCOTM x4, [H]ard|DCer of the Year 2019
For some reason, I have become addicted to DC'ing, BOINC specifically. Therefore, I have decided to add yet another box to my cruncher farm. I rarely game, so I have also decided to dedicate my GTX780Ti to BOINC. It will be going in my new rig, along with the GTX770 I had dedicated to BOINC several months ago. I got tired of the 780Ti heating up my office where my main PC (Barad-Dur) is kept (and where I work all day) whenever I was running GPU tasks on it, so I am downgrading my video card in my main PC to my AMD 7870. It runs cool enough that I will be able to run GPU tasks on the main rig more often.

Since I am putting my GTX770 in the new rig, I will be running my Q9450 box (Orthanc) headless. This also allows me to remove my poor, overheated Macbook Pro (Mirkwood) from BOINC. It runs well, but gets really warm when crunching. I can only run 4 CPU tasks on it at a time and no GPU tasks (it only has a GT 650M, so it isn't very quick with GPU tasks anyway). It just isn't made for running BOINC.

New rig specs: Intel i5 4670K, 8GB PC2133 DDR3, Nvidia GTX780Ti, GTX770. I plan to have it built and running by Saturday night.

The new rig joins the following, minus Mirkwood, which I am retiring from BOINC as stated above:

Computers.jpg~original

Can't wait to see how much the new farm contributes to the team. :D

Hi there!

Thanks for joining [H]. You definitely need a beer and a few tamales as a reward your efforts.

2012-03-23_19-50-44_61.jpg

Last edited:
Back