Thinking about Intel again

dtess17

2[H]4U
So my friend is having me build a system for him, and he wanted it based off the latest and greatest. From my understanding C2D are putting a hurt on AMD at the moment.
Problem is i've been using AMD and have not kept up on Intel at all.

So it seems the E6600 is one of the more sought after procs, and from what i understand performance is real good.

So at stock speeds (2.4?) what is this chip capable of? what type of idle and load temps will my friend be looking at ? How big of a performace differece will we be able to see on this ?
I have an Opty 170 @ 2.8 for a reference point.

Next question relates to overclocking. On average where to these chips go to? Is there a specific week and stepping that are noteworthy?

I've seen a bunch of people talk about getting well over 3.0GHz how much better does perform at that speed over stock? How does it scale as you increase the speed beyond that? Do the temps get out of control at that point?

One of the first reviews i read said this chip ran very cool, and that load temps were not much higher than stock. They even unplugged the fan to the HSF and it still ran. Any truth to that? ( i am assuming stock speeds there)

Thanks for any help you can offer, I know a lot of this can be looked up in other threads, but work is kicking my ass. End of quarter and holiday season all at once. I get very little free time now.

You need a good mb if you hope to oc well. I choose a P5W DH, one of the first boards available when i built my current rig. Runs a little hot, but has been very reliable. I ran 3dmark 06 with my e6600 from week 28 at stock for a score of 6550 @ 3.6ghz my score went up to 7310. Seem that week 28s require more vcore to oc past 3.2. Check the intel oc post for more info.

Temps are similar to amd chips...low until you start oc beyond 1ghz

At stock,

Expect load temperatures in the 50's
Expect SuperPI to be roughly 1.7x faster than your CPU
In game... Don't expect much
Chips run REALLY cool, yeah, you could run passive (if you were using an E6300)

Overclocked:

Expect load temps to be in the 60s
Expect superPi to be alot faster than stock speeds. A 3.0ghz OC will complete the 1M run in roughly 18 seconds.
Most E6600s will hit 3.4ghz with a better HSF. 3.1 on the stock cooler, and 3.5+ on water. This, of course, requires a good motherboard.

well thanks for the quick replies.

so i am to understand that gaming isn't getting much of a boost. So where is the 30-70% gains that i hear about coming from. i know everyone is raving about these chips. Just trying to figure out what's so hot.

Arcygenical said:
At stock,

Expect load temperatures in the 50's
Expect SuperPI to be roughly 1.7x faster than your CPU
In game... Don't expect much
Chips run REALLY cool, yeah, you could run passive (if you were using an E6300)

Overclocked:

Expect load temps to be in the 60s
Expect superPi to be alot faster than stock speeds. A 3.0ghz OC will complete the 1M run in roughly 18 seconds.
Most E6600s will hit 3.4ghz with a better HSF. 3.1 on the stock cooler, and 3.5+ on water. This, of course, requires a good motherboard.

My temps seem to be alot lower then alot of people. I had 25c core temps at idle and 35 load at stock speeds. When OCed to 3ghz I get about 45c at load. Games are alot cooler. This is with stock cooler.
Games do run faster imo. Loading is improved, and a gain of 20-30 fps is not bad. OC just improves the gain.

my first post addresses this...just overclocking the chip led to a over 10% bump in gaming performance.
My old comp was a p4 660 @ 4.25ghz 1gig of pc6400 ocz gold and an x850xt pe and my framerates more than doubled is some games. i know that stepping up from an x850 xt pe to an x1950xtx accounts for much gains. Just google a review of the chip and you will find tons of benchies comparing amd top cpus and the new intels, trust me you'll be imnpressed. These are great gaming cpus, as well as terrific multitasking. I crunch alot of video in premiere, the difference in performance from the p4 660 @ 4.25 is astounding.
btw my old p4 was nuclear reactor of heat, not mention got my roomates pissed at me for the electric bill.

I took a look at a few reviews out there. Pretty impressive.
Although i am hesitant to build a system with any dual core right now with quad core starting to hit the market. I guess i will just let my buddy decide. It is his money after all.

I've become rather interested in a system now too. Maybe i'll sell off some of my hardware and get a system together.

dtess17 said:
I took a look at a few reviews out there. Pretty impressive.
Although i am hesitant to build a system with any dual core right now with quad core starting to hit the market. I guess i will just let my buddy decide. It is his money after all.

I've become rather interested in a system now too. Maybe i'll sell off some of my hardware and get a system together.

E6600 @stock speed performs similar to FX-62 at stock speeds.

With a Ninja Cooler mine runs at 56C under load in the summer and current rooms temps of 68F, that's down to 50C. So room or ambient temp is very important.

Games are very Video card Dependant but unless your computer is just an overpriced XBox or PS3, C2D still faster at normal resolutions. Then it kicks ass with everything else.

Quad core will prove very valuable to hard core multitaskers and folks with software that can take advantage of it. Personally, I'd rather have two Woodys than One Kentsfield.

Donnie27 said:
E6600 @stock speed performs similar to FX-62 at stock speeds.

With a Ninja Cooler mine runs at 56C under load in the summer and current rooms temps of 68F, that's down to 50C. So room or ambient temp is very important.

Games are very Video card Dependant but unless your computer is just an overpriced XBox or PS3, C2D still faster at normal resolutions. Then it kicks ass with everything else.

Quad core will prove very valuable to hard core multitaskers and folks with software that can take advantage of it. Personally, I'd rather have two Woodys than One Kentsfield.

quite useful thank you.

So 2.4 is very similar to the FX 62. Is there anything close to a E6600 at say 3.0 or 3.2?

Also i know he will likely want this thing overclocked. I know i'll need to get him a good mobo. SLI is a must. I think this puts me into the 680i chipset?

Anything that stands out as a must purchase? Assuming we want this chip to go as high as possible?

dtess17 said:
quite useful thank you.

So 2.4 is very similar to the FX 62. Is there anything close to a E6600 at say 3.0 or 3.2?

If it turns out anything like mine, you'll get it to 3 to 3.3GHz. I've seen a lot of folks at 3GHz but I've gotten use to a Quiet 2.4GHz. Just slightly more noise and chipset heat at 3GHz wasn't worth it to me. I have mine un-overclocked mostly for that reason and when I first heard of folks doing this, I laughed at them;) Every so often I will overclock it for a few days.

I also tried an AMD type overclock where I only overclocked it to 2.7GHz (300MHz FSB) LOL! You'd be surprised how well it scales.

My processor runs so cool and fast... It's a dream come true...

I have my E6300 running 3ghz at basically stock voltage... 1.24volts... It only hits 52C at full load on orthos for 6 hour straight... Perform so fast my video card is screaming yes please... I know I can get this higher but memory is holding me back... :(

well looks like my buddy is going to have me build a system based on the 6400. He was pretty excited about this chip.

I'm putting some thought into buying one myself also.

Next big thing i think i need is a mobo to take this chip as far as possible. Suggestions?

Back