The Lords of the Fallen

How much playtime in the game? Sounds like a Heat issue.
I had no problems when I took vacation last month. Might want to disable XMP on your Ram that might help
Right Click if on Steam to verify files then make sure you have the Latest Nvidia drivers. I had problems with Diablo 4 recently and it was NV driver related.
beggiining game

temps are ok also someone on youtube have the same drops with similiar pc

I get most of my help from Steam forums those guys know how to workaround bugs.
Just do a search in there once maybe it's a ongoing problem recently.

Reactions: hu76
like this
Hello. First pc:
13900K stock
2x16 GB DDR5 GSKILL 6800
Rtx 4090 Gigabyte Gaming
Aorus Elite Z790 AX
SSD KINGSTON 2TB
Seasonic 1300W PX ATX 3.0 PCIE 5.
win 11

I have weird stuttering and fps drops in game. Is this game issue or system?
I mean gpu usage drops from 99% to 70-80 for split second and goes back like fps.
Like 200fps and drops to 150 and again to 200.
I have 1440P ultra settings and VSYNC OFF,
DLSS quality and no FG.
Hi again @sew333. Back to weirdly troll again as a new user eh?

I updated to the latest NVIDIA driver as the game wanted me to do and even warned me about before starting it. The shader cache was deleted as a result. Usually it gets rebuild after I start the game again but not in LOTFs case apparently. Cause now I have terrible shader stutters all the time.
When I first started the game on release day, I noticed that the shaders were pre compiling correctly because of the very high CPU usage and the longer load time. The game ran butter smooth as a result. This doesnt happen anymore, it loads up pretty quickly without compiling shaders. I have deleted the UPIPELINECACHE file in AppData/Local/LOTF2 multiple times. No change. My guess is one of these patches messed something up.

I hate Unreal Engine with a passion. Always issues. Only a few games running well on this engine. Sure it looks great but other than that, its trash. I have a 4090, 13900K and DDR5 6800MHZ. Also yes, the game is on an NVME SSD, The FPS are fine. Its just the shader stutters that are pretty noticeable now. Has anyone managed to find a fix?

EDIT: Apparently the latest, or one of the latest patches broke the shader compilation step. I guess we have to wait for the devs to undo their mistake. You would notice an issue like that instantly if there was QA testing, but since we sometimes get two patches a day, QA testing falls flat.

Reactions: horse
like this
Great, I bought it a few days ago on cdkeys for $41 just to realize I don't like it at all and now can't refund it lol.

The umbral mechanic and controls are just a huge turn off for me, and not that I put a lot of time or effort into it but the first boss feels like a huge brick wall, one that I don't even care to climb over.

Man hang with it! It gets easier after that and the level design and atmosphere is top notch! You can recruit an NPC to help you with Peitra if needed. I just finished the game and absolutely loved it after a rough start.

I'm finally coming back around to this after running through my backlog. For Souls-like games, this one is pretty damned challenging right away. I finally killed Pieta after around 10-12 attempts and I'd say she's tougher than anything in the first 2/3 of Lies of P. The fairly slow speed of my swings (I'm starting as a barbarian) also seems to require a more strategic approach than most other games like this. That's coming from someone who plays the Souls titles with a giant club most of the time, too. Maybe playing a fast character is easier?

On the performance side of thing, frame generation still seems broken AF. It'll work great for 5-10 minutes, but then it'll seemingly lose sync with the game and become unusable. It's a shame because the game looks great when it's working. Performance is mostly fine just rocking DLSS quality, although smoke effects seem to mess with the frame pacing a little, kinda like games from 10-12 years ago. Even dropping DLSS to balanced/performance doesn't change that, either.

I just beat Pieta last night as well and yeah she was damn tough, that fight was not pretty at all. I played up until the next boss, the sinner? Forget his name but he was a bit easier, took me 3-4 tries. I definitely don’t have the combat down yet but things are starting to click a little.

Pieta is the toughest boss in the game if only because when you get to her you do not have the combat mastered yet and still have no upgrades and probably using the starting weapon. I took full advantage of the NPC summons. The bosses do get easier as you progress and the challenge becomes more about the levels and less about the bosses which I love. Fantastic game

Reactions: w35t
like this
Pieta is the toughest boss in the game if only because when you get to her you do not have the combat mastered yet and still have no upgrades and probably using the starting weapon. I took full advantage of the NPC summons. The bosses do get easier as you progress and the challenge becomes more about the levels and less about the bosses which I love. Fantastic game
I used the summon as well, but tbh it wasn’t much help, bro was out by the second phase pretty much every time, and that’s when the real fight starts. I had like 1hp in umbral and just barely snuck the last hit in. Felt like dumb luck after rarely being able to get her under 1/3rd health.

I do have to say the cinematics for that fight were really cool, even with the terrible face animations.

I wouldn't say Pieta is hard, I think I beat her on my 3rd attempt. Unless they changed the parry window since release, I remember it being very forgiving in this game. The hardest boss for me was Skinstealer, which was around 5-10 attempts. Atleast from my perspective at release the bosses were easy in LoTF.

I've taken down 7-8 bosses so far and Pieta has been the toughest thus far. Mainly because (like Andym22 mentioned), you're still kinda figuring things out. They've pretty much thrown cannon fodder at you up to that point. The main thing I've noticed is that the boss battles all kinda take a while. There are almost none where you can get in and out in under 3 minutes and there are lots of scenarios where you simply can't safely attack and simply have to dodge and wait for them to do specific things.

I'm not sure what to think of the game itself. I think it's pretty good, but not great. The lamp thing doesn't really add much. If anything, it makes me just want to stay in Umbra full-time just so I don't miss anything. It's less safe, but it seems like the "real" game IMO. Beyond that, I think they're trying too hard trying to be obtuse with the story and world, a la Fromsoft. Combat's mostly fine, but a little stiff and heavy. Especially for how often you're on tiny little ledges and such. After playing through Lies of P a few weeks ago, I think it's better across the board. LotF has better graphics overall, but it's also way less smooth as a result. Especially for a game that has been patched like 30 times.

I’d call Lies of P a better game across the board too, though it’s quite different.

Man that dude on the horse was a pain, but not as much as the level leading to him. I even ran out of those seed things to plant in flower beds so I had a crappy run to him each time. I know I had to miss a lot of items too. That part is kind of frustrating about this game, you don’t really have an opportunity to just clear everything and explore. Can you kill that red fuck that shows up when you’re in umbral for too long? I just noped the hell out of there every time.

I’d call Lies of P a better game across the board too, though it’s quite different.

Man that dude on the horse was a pain, but not as much as the level leading to him. I even ran out of those seed things to plant in flower beds so I had a crappy run to him each time. I know I had to miss a lot of items too. That part is kind of frustrating about this game, you don’t really have an opportunity to just clear everything and explore. Can you kill that red fuck that shows up when you’re in umbral for too long? I just noped the hell out of there every time.

That's where I am right now - I just got to the knight on the horse. I bought a pile of seeds earlier (they're only 1000 souls each from one of the main vendors), so I have a save spot right next to him. That level is pretty massive and there's a lot to see and do. It isn't terrible when going slow, but (like you mention), the red dude rolls up if you stay in Umbral too long. I've attempted to fight him a little, but he takes like 75% of my health in 1 shot and my vitality is a 30. I kinda figure that's a sign not to mess with him. I can still see a couple ladders that I have no idea how to reach, so I'm hoping there's more to the level after the mounted dude. Otherwise, I guess I'll try to dig up an online map or something. I killed another boss mid-level (guy in a stone shell that looks like a mask) that must've taken me like 15 minutes.

like this
That horse guy is easy once you summon the right NPc I used a Tank npc summon just before took about 15 tries. The level after that is a swampy maze. Wait until you get to the burning village :p

That horse guy is easy once you summon the right NPc I used a Tank npc summon just before took about 15 tries. The level after that is a swampy maze. Wait until you get to the burning village :p

I'm gonna attempt to win the game sans summons if I can. I'm not completely opposed to the idea if I have to, but I'm at least trying to avoid it. This isn't a game I really care about that much, so I will if I hit a brick wall. I don't see myself revisiting it or trying to get great at it or anything.

Finally beat the Ruiner, that sure was fun. I’ve seen people call this game artificially difficult and I can certainly see why. This was a great example, being stuck on a narrow bridge with fire aoe going on everywhere.

Also, fake items you pick up that trigger an enemy attack which one shots you if you’re at 80% health? Wtf? Is there a way to tell or avoid that beyond remembering which ones?

I installed new nvidia drivers and the same fps drops and stuttering. Any ideas why that happens? Only in this game

Finally beat the Ruiner, that sure was fun. I’ve seen people call this game artificially difficult and I can certainly see why. This was a great example, being stuck on a narrow bridge with fire aoe going on everywhere.

Also, fake items you pick up that trigger an enemy attack which one shots you if you’re at 80% health? Wtf? Is there a way to tell or avoid that beyond remembering which ones?

Mimic's gonna mimic!

Mimic's gonna mimic!
Well, you can smack a chest and and fight the mimic. In this case you just get chunked for picking up an item, no chance to defend yourself unless I’m missing something.

I installed new nvidia drivers and the same fps drops and stuttering. Any ideas why that happens? Only in this game

I think that's just the way this game runs. The only way I can ever get a truly smooth experience is to turn on frame generation. Otherwise panning around in 1/2 the game isn't particularly smooth, even well over 60fps. At least with the details cranked. Frame gen causes artifacting and eventually it bogs down and drops down to 30fps, though...but it's good while it lasts.

like this
I think that's just the way this game runs. The only way I can ever get a truly smooth experience is to turn on frame generation. Otherwise panning around in 1/2 the game isn't particularly smooth, even well over 60fps. At least with the details cranked. Frame gen causes artifacting and eventually it bogs down and drops down to 30fps, though...but it's good while it lasts.
I don’t have the frame gen option and I read that it was removed in a patch due to instability?

One of the devs in the Steam forums also suggested adding "-notexturestreaming" as well. That doesn't fix the issue, but it at least keeps things running smoother for longer. One my setup framegen will start acting screwy after about 10-20 minutes out of the gate. With that additional launch property, it won't bog down until like 45+ minutes pass instead.
Personally, I'm willing to deal with it just because of how panning around looks without it. It just isn't smooth without framegen, no matter what my FPS supposedly are.

like this
I’ve only been playing on my laptop so far but yeah the frame rate is all over the place, particularly around fog and rain, super annoying, but playable.

The further I get, the more I think this will be a 1 and done for me. I'm just not having that much fun with it. The lamp feels like a gimmick that they just won't let go of. Especially in boss fights, which seem overly reliant on lamp shenanigans. It doesn't suck or anything, but it's the most disappointing Souls-like I've played in a while. The fact that Lies of P was so good kinda amplifies that.

The further I get, the more I think this will be a 1 and done for me. I'm just not having that much fun with it. The lamp feels like a gimmick that they just won't let go of. Especially in boss fights, which seem overly reliant on lamp shenanigans. It doesn't suck or anything, but it's the most disappointing Souls-like I've played in a while. The fact that Lies of P was so good kinda amplifies that.
Couldn't agree more. Lies of P is probably goty for me, the combat is just too good, so fluid. It also runs incredibly well and looks fantastic, plus the art and enemy design, story, just everything, I have nothing but praise for that title and can't wait for more. Hell, I even appreciate the linearity of it.

Getting through levels and bosses in LotF does not feel rewarding to me, it's just a complete slog, which is unfortunate as there's some pretty cool art design and I really like how overall dark it is. Also, the combat definitely has some jank to it, I can't tell you how many times I've dodged in wrong directions that differ from the joystick direction, which often yeets me off the map. I like it and am planning to push through, but I don't love it, so one and done is likely.

Last edited:
And now this spurned progeny fight? What the actual fuck is this? Are you seriously supposed to run around up top and smack his hands whenever he decides to throw em? And that’s how you beat him? Is this one trying to force you to use some form of ranged attack or what? This must be what it feels like to be a Souls boss getting cheesed.

Edit: Yeah this is probably where I call it quits. This fight is beyond stupid and I don’t expect things to improve.

Last edited:
I'm still plodding along in the areas just past the Ruiner. I'm actually okay with these areas (they're challenging in the right ways), but am struggling to find the motivation to even play this game. I think I'm at the point where I'm just going to summon help with wild abandon and try to put this game behind me. It checks all the right boxes on paper, but it's just not an enjoyable experience. The technical issues don't help, either.

I've made it through the burning village and through the Progeny (yeah, you do have to hit his hands, kinda like the old God of War bosses, lol) and am nearly done with the mines. Seems like they're easing up on everything being a lamp gimmick and they're now just throwing previous bosses at you left and right. It's mostly optional, but I'm not one to skip killing anything. I've thrown honor out the door and am laming everything out with poison. 2-3 poison grenades and running around until their health stops ticking down is my strategy for killing anything dangerous. Poison seems to take a % from enemies, so it hurts big enemies way more than smaller ones. My opinion still stands that it's a one-and-done game, but I'm at least glad the lamp shenanigans are mostly over. I stay in Umbra like 95% of the time out of convenience. I'll pop back out to get some health back (and ward off the red reaper guy) but that's pretty much it.

EDIT: I think I hit the point (like in most Souls games) where things get substantially easier. I've upgraded my weapon all the way to +10 and I've got enough stats to wear the heaviest gear and still roll/jump normally. I've been clearing the last few areas and bosses in 1-2 trips. I also finally got that damned key that lets me explore all of those other parts of the tower.

Last edited:
As I continue to progress through these later sections, I'd dare say that the game is getting better. Some of it is that I'm just straight up more powerful and less likely to die on shenanigans, but I do think the later areas are simply better, too. For a while I was kinda forcing myself to play, but I've actually enjoyed the last few sections. I more or less always cruise around in Umbra just to save me the hassle of missing shit, and I have so much health and flasks that it rarely matters.

Somewhat related, I appreciate the way the game handles strength weapons and heavy armor. In most Souls games heavy stuff hits harder and armor allows you to get hit more, but that's kinda it. In this game, it gives you the ability to armor through hits and to full-on stun/interrupt bosses if you hit them with a big shot. I'm going the route of a brute (I have yet to cast a single spell or use any similar items), and I like the way the game handles that. It's something that straight up isn't viable for the first 1/3 of the game, so that's probably one other reason I didn't like the early portions of the game.

Whew, finally done with this game. Seems like there's a bunch of shit I didn't do or know about, but I don't have any desire to play it again to find out. The game does definitely improve in the later sections, although the final level might as well just be called "you vs. fire." The bosses for the last 1/2 of the game = easier than the early ones. In some cases by a wide margin. I found myself taking out quite a few of them on the first try with no real idea what their moveset was. Just get close, dodge around, and swing with R2. The fights in the first 1/2 of the game are long and drawn out because you do no damage. In the last 1/2 I was taking 15-20% per hit in a lot of cases. Anyway, the game is passable, but still among the weakest Souls-like titles I've played. It isn't as bad as the Surge, but it's definitely no Lies of P, either.

like this
I just got to the final level, got maybe halfway through it and got stuck, just not sure where to go and yeah, ridiculous amount of fire. I have to say I’m definitely enjoying the game a lot more than I did early on. It’s pretty good and there are some great ideas here but I agree that Lies of P is overall just a much better experience. My general complaints are that the maps are a bit too complex, I’ve had to look up where to go next multiple times, which lead to lots of backtracking. Also many of the bosses are just straight gimmicks, spurned progeny and the crow are by far my least favorite. I went with a strength build and am using great hammers, I’d like to try radiance or inferno but I’m not sure I like the game enough to go for multiple playthroughs using different builds.

I ended up going straight-up strength, too. In my case, I went with the Sword of Skin and Tooth, which mimicks a lot of my favorite Dark Souls big swords. Not clue about maximizing stats necessarily, but I stopped when I got 50 in strength and vitality. At that point I just slowly filled in the other stats except agility, since that weapon doesn't really need it. I was able to rock a full suite of the heaviest/best armor without fat rolling, so that was good enough for me. I was looking forward to a crazy hammer you get near the end, but apparently I didn't do something important earlier and so I never fought the dude who drops it. I mostly found where I was supposed to go just by being a relentless explorer, but I have no idea what happened to certain characters along the way. They definitely went the Dark Souls 1 route of making you do things in a very specific order to get certain things to play out. I have zero desire to play it again to see any of it, though. I don't think I've ever uninstalled a game faster, lol. Literally as soon as the credits rolled and the NG+ message popped up, I exited and uninstalled the game right then and there. I'm just over it. I don't even know if there's anything they can do to make me come back to it, either. Maybe just make the whole damned game Umbra and get rid of the red reaper?

The Wayfarer Hammer, that’s what I finished the game with. I started with the Dark Crusader so used Paladin Isaac’s sword until I got the Faithful Bludgeon. I took both hammers to +10 which was probably a waste, it didn’t seem much better than the bludgeon, plus the bludgeon looked awesome with that gorilla skeleton armor (forget the name).

Ended at level 106 and got the Radiance ending. I have to say, Adyr must be the lamest final boss I’ve ever encountered. Most bosses in this game are just gimicky nonsense, which really is unfortunate. I ended up liking the game a lot more than I thought I would initially though. They really knocked the environments and art style out of the park. I may give ng+ a go as I really want to try out some spells and different weapons, but as soon as something else catches my eye I’ll probably put it down for good.

$35 for this game seems fair. If nothing else, it's long and there's a lot to do. It doesn't make the game any better or technically sound, but it's an easier pill to swallow than $60.

Did they ever finalize support for DLSS frame-gen? That was one of the only ways I was able to get a smooth gameplay experience, but it was unsupported and pretty buggy.

Back