Sztaki Desktop Grid

• Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88227

This project is ending on May 31st. We need to hit it hard to get above XS and hold the 1st place position for the remainder of the year.

Everything I have is attached. The problem is just getting tasks......

They score so god damn low on the tasks too. Like 2 points a task. Jesus fuck.

I'll see about connecting after the sprint... or whenever it seems to be locked up. Then again, if the tasks are few, I can do it now.

I think apt has the sprint on lock. Unless XS has some crazy bunker somehow lol

Between my 3x 4P rigs I've got 5 tasks total. 5. Single threads tasks.

Definitely feel that folks could switch over - especially our CPU heavyweights.

Is this the project that needs to be in a virtual machine, so it can pull down tons of tasks? Edit: And a fudged CPU count?

I had this enabled for ages with a 100 resource share. Next resource share down was 10, so Sztaki was set 10 times higher than anything else. Only managed 2100 points. :panda:

Edit: I setup a virtual VM of LUBUNTU, and installed BOINC. I followed the instructions here to fake the BOINC install to 100cpus: https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Client_configuration

Hopefully they'll release some more tasks. This was probably all a waste of time.

VirtualBox_Lubuntu-BOINC_27_04_2018_20_18_25.png

Last edited:
<cc_config>
<options>
<ncpus>N</ncpus>
</options>
</cc_config>

Just change N to the number you want it to claim. Keep in mind though if you do get lucky and pull a ton of work, the VM will try to run that many instances at once with only the number of threads you have given the VM. I recommend this config

<cc_config>
<options>
<ncpus>48</ncpus>
<start_delay>30</start_delay>
</options>
</cc_config>

That way from a fresh startup of BOINC, you get 30 seconds to suspend it before it loads up all the work. This will give you time to correct any necessary settings before the host is unusable...

Gilthanis
Smart. I'll change it to that. I'm not too hopeful we'll see more work units based on the message on the homescreen for Sztaki, but I'll leave the VM up for a while.

Yeah... it isn't going to happen, but I have my rigs begging for work anyways for the mega milestones. I don't have any realistic expectations of hitting the 500k goal now. however, I learned the hard way with manipulating core count...it can be painful at times...lol. Now I put that delay on all my Windows boxes. It also helps on some Linux rigs. There used to be (not sure if still there) a bug where the OS (not sure if affecting specific versions or not) would load BOINC before the videocard drivers. Thus BOINC couldn't detect the GPU's. Putting in the delay gave the OS time to do its thing before starting the client.

Sztaki is in the state (extreme work shortage) where having plenty of rigs, or VMs, will massively outperform a few rigs with high core counts. The trick when a project reaches this state is to run an update script which is exactly what XS did to get where they are.

Given the work shortage Windows is preferable to Linux. The tasks run slower in Windows and so, ironically, they are awarded more points for the additional cpu effort involved. A completed Windows task may get 7 credits against 2 for Linux.

The batch file script for Windows is:

for /l %%x in (1, 1, 100000) do (echo %%x
"c:\Program Files\Boinc\boinccmd.exe" --project http://szdg.lpds.sztaki.hu/szdg/ update
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 140 > nul)

This prompts an update requesting work every 140 seconds 100,000 times

The equivalent command for Linux is:

watch -n 140 boinccmd --project http://szdg.lpds.sztaki.hu/szdg/ update

Regardless of the project priority you set, this approach only works well if you leave room in your cache to receive new work.

I'm glad you called this one out Skillz. I was just starting to get concerned that Sztaki would make it to 2 million FB credits before the project ends.

As a bit of a bonus for anyone interested, this project is a significant generator of SPARC tokens. I nabbed 2k tokens last week for only 14k boinc credits.

Last edited:
Is it even possible to setup VMs in CLI only Linux?

Is it even possible to setup VMs in CLI only Linux?

After a quick google I don't think so without at least firing up a GUI to establish a network connection. My only recent experience with CLI only Linux was when playing with AWS instances.

Well I couldn't figure it out either so I got a GUI setup on one and I'm sitting here installing a VM on it. Only got a 120GB SSD though so I'm not gonna be able to launch a lot of them.

Well I booted my computer today and my Ubuntu virtual machine that I setup specifically for Sztaki tasks wouldn't boot. And to really rub it in my Desktop BOINC Manager downloaded a Sztaki task, so I'm missing out on a bunch of these WUs.

Pushing hard on this. got 5th place overall yesterday. I am working to bring on 9 more virtual machines today.

I am gonna get that script loaded up on all the machines. It definitely pulls work, at least on my workstation.

I have multiple parallel clients but just get few assignments ... not hurtig but also not progressing much

Yeah...and when I say pulls work... I mean a task every couple days. LOL

I think if we really push on this in the last few days we could take ars spot and this would really really piss off XS. they are working both to keep ars ahead of us and to push the team behind us

Ok - script is up. Also noticing that (miniature thread jack) our #1 spot on Rosetta is under serious fire. I got my machines on it for the moment, including the 2P.

Back to the topic at hand: Ticking off Xs. Perfect. :D

I think they actually thought they had a chance at first in the Sprint. Tsk. Tsk.

Edit: Ok, REALLY back to the thread topic.

Script is on all of my machines - i assume that a polling interval of anything less will not be of much help?

I've gone from a few points a day to 400 using the script on one 1 windows computer. Things have come up, and I haven't got it on a VM yet.

Ok - script is up. Also noticing that (miniature thread jack) our #1 spot on Rosetta is under serious fire. I got my machines on it for the moment, including the 2P.

Back to the topic at hand: Ticking off Xs. Perfect. :D

I think they actually thought they had a chance at first in the Sprint. Tsk. Tsk.

Edit: Ok, REALLY back to the thread topic.

Script is on all of my machines - i assume that a polling interval of anything less will not be of much help?

Yeah i would leave it. once you check for update it gives you a backoff period anyways , and simply hitting it again will just produce a "requested too recently " or something similar

I now have a total of 15 windows 10 "systems" running this right now and that is pretty much my max as its topping out my ram at 2GB per VM. All of them are returning valid work so we will see what my scores are like in the next few days.

So we gained roughly 4k points on Ars yesterday but looks like they have a second guy working it now. only behind like 14k points with 3 or 4 days left depending on when they stop giving work units. If we really push this we can take that spot and that would be sweet. On the back side we only lost 2.5k or so to Meister so they shouldn't be able to overtake

Start a thread in GenMay asking for help.

Post the batch and script to get units and a small guide.

Ill congribute to it later tonight when I get back to my hotel for the night.

Good idea, i was thinking not enough of our team is reached on this in the strategy forum.

Hmmmm.

I'll load up the 2P.

If I scrounge for it, I think I can get it loaded with 64GB ram. With 32 cores (HT), it could do enough VMs to hopefully catch some WUs.

Last edited:
Hmmmm.

I'll load up the 2P.

If I scrounge for it, I think I can get it loaded with 64GB ram. With 32 cores (HT), it could do enough VMs to hopefully catch some WUs.

Yes please! Most of my VM's that i setup yesterday are already over 200pts so the more the merrier.
I personally think windows is the way to go on this and only 1 core / thread per VM as if it picks up a couple work units it will work through them by the time it gets more downloaded. Just don't do my mistake of installing boinc first and then cloning the VM. get one all made with boinc downloaded on it but not installed and everything else all set , then clone the shit out of it and go back and install boinc and then power them up one at a time. Also make sure to reset the Mac / network when cloning.

***also add the batch file on the machine before cloning so it will be ready to go.
I also think you should rename the computer before installing boinc. I had a few that i was sure i reset the mac address / network on but they had issues and renaming them fixed it.

Last edited:
motqalden There isn't a way for you to stamp out an image and share it, is there?

I haven't done VM stuff in ages, but i do know how to do VB.

Edit - Windows. That ain't gonna happen. LOL

motqalden There isn't a way for you to stamp out an image and share it, is there?

I haven't done VM stuff in ages, but i do know how to do VB.

Edit - Windows. That ain't gonna happen. LOL

Sorry I was just using VM as generic name. I have all these running in virtual box. I imagine you could you linux if you wanted. I am just using windows 10 as it was easier for me

Alright i made a thread in Genmay so if you guys could go like it / comment that would be good. These bastards have really upped their output today and i am really eager to stick it too them!

I know this is a bit off topic, but if you are going to make the VM's, Go ahead and attach GoofyxGrid NCI on each of them for additional points. The project is non-CPU intensive and will not interfere with the other work.

I know this is a bit off topic, but if you are going to make the VM's, Go ahead and attach GoofyxGrid NCI on each of them for additional points. The project is non-CPU intensive and will not interfere with the other work.

alright i will give that a try. Ok done. Boy i really need to finish getting my BAM setup on all these... what a pain doing it manually

Last edited:
I would say add WUProp, but sebastien is a bit of a dick about goofy and may block them if there isn't non-goofy work running at all times as well... So, until they are used for consistent non-goofy work, don't bother with it...lol

how do you know when its done a wu? they are all sitting at 100% but showing in progress on the site. I want a fricken monkey badge. Nope i want all the monkey badges!

Back