System out of resources?

Fix Me

Gawd
Hi guys. I wasn't sure where to post this since I'm not sure what the problem is. I have a user where I work that seems to be running out of memory at some point throughout the day and then has to reboot. She can no longer copy and paste, can't open documents, can't open task manager, etc until a reboot. However, we have figured out if she closes Outlook she can then do some things, but it's still kind of flaky until a reboot. I was able to get into Task Manager and checked her PF usage since she has to have several Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, and IE windows open at once. She has 2GB of RAM and 1.12 of the PF was in use while Outlook was closed. When Outlook was opened, it went up to 1.14. After a reboot, the baseline PF usage is around 800MB. It doesn't seem like she's running out of memory does it? I tried swapping out PC's and got the same result with the new one. I have also tried adjusting the virtual memory settings to see if it would make any difference. It didn't. Her hard drive has plenty of free space as well. Any thoughts?

Software:
Windows XP w/SP3
Cisco VPN
Office 2007 w/SP2 (same problem with Office 2003 w/SP3 too)
IE8
Pointsec (hard drive encryption)
Symantec Endpoint Protection

Hardware specs:
HP dc5800 SFF
2GB RAM
Intel C2D E8400
160GB HDD
Integrated Intel Video

My notebook got same problem.
It is only email machine. just watching coming mail or send mail.

But, very slow down 2day later. must reboot.
XP, outlook express using.
I think It's software problem.
My Window 7 machine never fail.
I recommand you shoud go Windows 7.

My notebook got same problem.
It is only email machine. just watching coming mail or send mail.

But, very slow down 2day later. must reboot.
XP, outlook express using.
I think It's software problem.
My Window 7 machine never fail.
I recommand you shoud go Windows 7.
Unfortunately, that's not an option yet. Where I work, everyone uses Windows XP (though we will go to Windows 7 eventually) and despite many similar configurations and usage, no one else has these problems.

I'm not clear what you mean by "swapping out PC's". You moved her HDD to another PC or loaded the same software ? Back to basics, tho. I trust you looked at the programs it loads at start up... msconfig.

You might be looking at a virus that is deep beyond your protection. But there is definitely something else running and hiding.

I'm not clear what you mean by "swapping out PC's". You moved her HDD to another PC or loaded the same software ? Back to basics, tho. I trust you looked at the programs it loads at start up... msconfig.

You might be looking at a virus that is deep beyond your protection. But there is definitely something else running and hiding.
Swapping out PC's mean she got a completely different one, nothing was carried over from the old one. There's no way it could be a virus/spyware as a completely different PC should have ruled that out. There's nothing different running on her PC than anyone else's, except for her HP printer since she telecommutes. I even tried uninstalling the HP software to see if that would make a difference.

I'd install another 2GBs of RAM and go from there.
Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to do.

Back