Streaming video micro hitching.

KazeoHin

[H]F Junkie
Hello all.

Quick question:

On ALL of the PCs I've ever used, Streaming video, no matter how high the quality or how badass the PC, AMD or Nvidia,Windows XP to Windows 10, Seems to have little micro-hitching in streaming video.

What do I mean by "Micro-Hitching"? Well, I made that term up because no matter WHAT, I can't find an accurate description online using uncle Google or other means. Its essentially a tiny, blink-and-you-miss-it jump in the motion, or a jerk in a panning scene or a dropped frame. Slow panning scenes exhibit this issue well, but it happens and can REALLY ruin just about any scene. I noticed Netflix does this as well as YouTube, HTML5 or FLV video: does not matter. Most of the time it ain't no thang, but sometimes the persistence and apparent lack of solution just drives me NUTS.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? How can I fix it?

Nah, Thats not it. This happens much less frequently, more like once in every second. It only happens in streaming video, even streaming video captured on a GoPro (which run almost always in either 30 or 60 FPS). My own GoPro videos are fine.

But lets play ball: If it was a result of pulldown, What can I do to get rid of it?

Since you are posting this in HTPC, I will assume you have these PC's connected to Plasma or LCD TV's.

Whats the refresh rate you have set for the video output?

I bet you have it set to 60hz. Set it to 59hz and your problem will go away.

Since you are posting this in HTPC, I will assume you have these PC's connected to Plasma or LCD TV's.

Whats the refresh rate you have set for the video output?

I bet you have it set to 60hz. Set it to 59hz and your problem will go away.

Nah, I have my HTPCs set up to 59 Hz, the issue is still apparent. Plus, as I stated above, this is on EVERY PC I have ever used when watching streaming video. Downloading the videos does not get rid of the issue, either.

Like I said before, it is REALLY difficult to find anyone who has the same issue, yet its present on EVERY PC I have ever used.

If the hitching is more noticeable when the camera is panning its more often then is 3:2 pulldown as stated in previous post.

Most movies are in 24p but since most displays are at 60hz. 24 isn't evenly divisible into 60 so it uses a 3:2 pulldown to double triple frames to match the refresh rate.

There are a few ways to combat this. One is to set your display refresh rate to 24hz. That will eliminate the need of a 3:2 pulldown. One is if you're using a 120hz TV turn on the smoothing effect or soap opera affect.

If the hitching is more noticeable when the camera is panning its more often then is 3:2 pulldown as stated in previous post.

Most movies are in 24p but since most displays are at 60hz. 24 isn't evenly divisible into 60 so it uses a 3:2 pulldown to double triple frames to match the refresh rate.

There are a few ways to combat this. One is to set your display refresh rate to 24hz. That will eliminate the need of a 3:2 pulldown. One is if you're using a 120hz TV turn on the smoothing effect or soap opera affect.

I know there is the SVP option, as that can REALLY help even on 60Hz displays, but it is completely useless for streaming video. Is there an SVP style Soap effect that works at a diver level?

I know there is the SVP option, as that can REALLY help even on 60Hz displays, but it is completely useless for streaming video. Is there an SVP style Soap effect that works at a diver level?

If its a PC display the only option that I can think of and I doubt its going to make a difference is using a 120-144hz display. Chances are the 3:2 pulldown is probably being done within flash or HTML 5 so I doubt there is any real solution other then it hooking it up to a TV and letting the display process it.

If the video on the right is what you're experiencing its normal. That is what happens when 24p content is displayed on a 60hz display.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHPVDXwMxiA

I know exactly what you are talking about as I had the same problem for years. However Netflix and Amazon streamed OK for me. But any website, like ESPN or Fox, etc. had this little stutter. The best solution I found was to move to Windows 8.1 and use apps when I could to play video. Watch ESPN and Watch Disney are smooth as butter when played inside thier own app vs. using a browser. However I do use the browser to play from Freeform (formerly ABC Family), and it plays fine. Windows 8.1 made a difference for me over 7, but it seems you have problems with different OS' s so I don't know what's going on in your case.

Nah, I have my HTPCs set up to 59 Hz, the issue is still apparent. Plus, as I stated above, this is on EVERY PC I have ever used when watching streaming video. Downloading the videos does not get rid of the issue, either.

Like I said before, it is REALLY difficult to find anyone who has the same issue, yet its present on EVERY PC I have ever used.

I've not had it on any pc except my pentium anniversary, but that went away when I upgraded to Windows 10. Maybe your displays aren't so hit. I can't freaking stand judder, I would go insane.

I have no idea how any watches TV with the smoothing enabled. It makes me sea sick.

Back