Starfield

His legacy will be that of a bullshit marketing artist similar to Randy Pitchfraud at Gearbox, not as a brilliant game developer. He true genius is in selling hype.
Terminator: Future Shock was quite impressive for the time. He should have stuck to the development side of things.

His legacy will be that of a bullshit marketing artist similar to Randy Pitchfraud at Gearbox, not as a brilliant game developer. He true genius is in selling hype.
Even starfield skeptics were hyped after the Direct came out. A true snake oil salesman.

Even starfield skeptics were hyped after the Direct came out. A true snake oil salesman.
He's really good at it. I was hyped for Starfield too, based on the marketing but had enough skepticism, given Bethesda's track record of mediocrity and his history of telling sweet little lies. And sadly my scepticism was entirely founded.

I was extremely skeptical given Bethesda's track record. I was also very much aware that Bethesda was likely to design Starfield like we are still in 2005 the way all their titles are done. I only got it because of the ship builder and I got it on game pass so I wasn't really out anything to do so.

Terminator: Future Shock was quite impressive for the time. He should have stuck to the development side of things.

was Howard correct when he said that it was the first PC game to use mouse-look controls and WSAD?

was Howard correct when he said that it was the first PC game to use mouse-look controls and WSAD?
Wolfenstein 3D had mouse look in 1992. Future Shock came out in 1995. If he means being able to look up and down with the mouse (freelook), then I think it was. You could look up and down in Heretic in 1994, but not using the mouse. Since it was a Doom engine game, vertical mouse movement was tied to player movement and it couldn't be changed.

As far as WASD goes, those were not the default key bindings in Future Shock. You could remap the controls to WASD, but so could Doom in 1993. Doom had separate key bindings for strafe left and strafe right (comma and period by default), so you didn't need to hold the modifier key (Alt by default) like you did in Wolfenstein 3D.

The patch adding DLSS to the game has been released to the main build channel. It is available now on Steam. Not sure about the Xbox app.

https://bethesda.net/en/game/starfi...tarfield-update-1-8-86-notes-november-20-2023

2½ months late...but better late than never...seems like performance is much improved as well for Nvidia owners...no wonder they didn't want to release this at launch...an AMD sponsored title with much better Nvidia GPU performance would have made a mockery out of the sponsorship

2½ months late...but better late than never...seems like performance is much improved as well for Nvidia owners...no wonder they didn't want to release this at launch...an AMD sponsored title with much better Nvidia GPU performance would have made a mockery out of the sponsorship

I'd argue performance is much improved across the board. They seem to have greatly reduced (but not eliminated) how hard the game is on the CPU. My guess would be that almost all launch day performance reviews are now completely obsolete.

I'd argue performance is much improved across the board. They seem to have greatly reduced (but not eliminated) how hard the game is on the CPU. My guess would be that almost all launch day performance reviews are now completely obsolete.

Nvidia performance now surpasses AMD performance in this game...

Nvidia performance now surpasses AMD performance in this game...

That's great and all, but I think for a very large number of people it was their CPU's that were holding them back, not their GPU's, especially in busy scenes with many NPC's / enemies.

Or at least the CPU was responsible for most low framerate dips.

That - to me - is what I notice more than any GPU performance improvements.

That said, this might be because I use an overclocked 4090, but my CPU is a few gens old :p

They did supposedly improve the FSR2 implementation as well, though it doesn't look as good as DLSS still, but one of the vids I watched noted that they'd reduced some of the ghosting it was having.

All in all seems like a good improvement, it didn't just give nVidia people what they were asking for but generally made the game faster and look better. Hopefully they can clean it up further with more patches. While I'd much rather they did that, you know, during development I'll take it regardless of when we get it.

Well, after patching, I did my usual "New Atlantis stress test" spot....

Exact same settings & sig rig - framerate went up 5 FPS.

(considering the age of my graphics card, I'll take it but was hoping for more)

The 1080 is pretty long in the tooth my man, no real way around it. I just reinstalled this morning and I'm seeing a huge boost, the AMD CPU improvements seem to have helped a lot as my GPU usage is now over 85% in places like Akila.

The 1080 is pretty long in the tooth my man, no real way around it.

*shhhhh "she" can hear you!!

I've actually have a Zotac 3070 I bought of a fellow [H]member almost a year ago and STILL haven't installed it :(

- Only because my 1080 is "stuck" in the PCI-E slot and I'm scurred to force it (Apparently this is a common issue with these new-fangled "reinforced" graphics card slots)

I even called MC and asked how much it would cost for them to take the risk for me lol.... As a man with several certs & an IT background, I was so ashamed speaking to that person on the phone :(

I've actually have a Zotac 3070 I bought of a fellow [H]member almost a year ago and STILL haven't installed it :(

- Only because my 1080 is "stuck" in the PCI-E slot and I'm scurred to force it (Apparently this is a common issue with these new-fangled "reinforced" graphics card slots)

I even called MC and asked how much it would cost for them to take the risk for me lol.... As a man with several certs & an IT background, I was so ashamed speaking to that person on the phone :(

You're much more patient than I am, I would have put the gorilla grip on that thing in about 2.5 seconds flat lol

I think I've only ever pulled a PCI-E slot off of a board once and it was like 10+ years ago, the card had burned up and melted the connector. Now USB 3.0 headers, I've pulled a lot of those off.

Snoop_Damn_Man.gif

That sucks! If I was close to you, I'd offer to help...either with the removal, or a new mobo if we screwed it up haha.

That would be quite the large performance lift, my friend. I get not wanting to break anything, but there has to be a way, and it's probably something simple that just needs the right touch...

View attachment 615321

That sucks! If I was close to you, I'd offer to help...either with the removal, or a new mobo if we screwed it up haha.

That would be quite the large performance lift, my friend. I get not wanting to break anything, but there has to be a way, and it's probably something simple that just needs the right touch...

Yeah I'd help too. I've had some very stuck cards, just gotta rip the bandaid off and go for it.

New patch means start new game. Haven't noticed anything spectacular as of yet. Will test more after work.

Yeah I just started a new playthrough, this is my Sunday so I'll relax and play. The biggest thing I notice is the improved smoothness, the game feels way more fluid and less stuttery than it did before, especially around the cities.

heybeaman-hey.gif

release the clip/tab and give it a good yank.

Yeah, that's my thought also (years of Field Service if that matters). Grab a chopstick / spudger and make sure you have released the locking tab. They often seem to be unlocked, but when moved another millimeter there will be an audible click as it releases. Especially if holding against force / very tightly. Good luck!

I would say risk it and grab some Ryzen motherboard combo they have running, but a 5700X isn't a bad CPU so I can see why you might not want to upgrade.

One time I got it stuck as well, and pulling it up popped out the PCI-E tab. It didn't break, I just popped it back in place and it worked fine. More than likely something went wrong with the plastic tab. Can you not push it down?

I would say risk it and grab some Ryzen motherboard combo they have running, but a 5700X isn't a bad CPU so I can see why you might not want to upgrade.

One time I got it stuck as well, and pulling it up popped out the PCI-E tab. It didn't break, I just popped it back in place and it worked fine. More than likely something went wrong with the plastic tab. Can you not push it down?

The tab goes down and I believe it "clicks", but at least a portion of the vcard appears "stuck"....

(I've read several threads on Reddit about pushing the card down and towards the back of the case & then pulling it out etc... I dunno man, in all my years prior, my cards have always come out without any resistance. Hence my "fear/hesitancy")

No. Both because WASD wasn't the default control scheme in FutureShock (Google it) and it wasn't the first time an FPS had mouse look while running around in FPS view. Pretty sure Marathon by Bungie beat it by a year. Goes back to him being good about marketing, but it was an early example of being able to do it.

Haven't come into this thread for a while because I sort of just stopped playing after maxing out my NG+s and power levels, so don't know how the discussion is going nowadays. Didn't feel the incentive I thought I would to go back and play through an NG+ full playthrough. I'm kind of curious to see what mods will do with this game, but I'm not sure how much they can do when the game's engine and play style is so antiquated.

Looked at the Steam ratings, recent ratings are down to 55% positive and overall rating is down to 69%, which puts it in the "Mixed" rating category. I'm honestly just kind of sitting here shaking my head because I feel so many people got duped early in, then post purchase justification kicked in and they had to convinced themselves... and fast forward and they're slowly realizing. That's why I was sort of getting ticked off a long ways back. It was clearly oversold, and people lapped up that hype...

Like the clip holder is stuck, or it literally won't budge in the slot? If it's the latter, not sure what to say. I guess you... could try applying non-conductive lube? Not sure what that would be but... I have no Idea, I've literally never had a GPU stuck in a PCIE slot...

Haven't come into this thread for a while because I sort of just stopped playing after maxing out my NG+s and power levels, so don't know how the discussion is going nowadays. Didn't feel the incentive I thought I would to go back and play through an NG+ full playthrough. I'm kind of curious to see what mods will do with this game, but I'm not sure how much they can do when the game's engine and play style is so antiquated.

Looked at the Steam ratings, recent ratings are down to 55% positive and overall rating is down to 69%, which puts it in the "Mixed" rating category. I'm honestly just kind of sitting here shaking my head because I feel so many people got duped early in, then post purchase justification kicked in and they had to convinced themselves... and fast forward and they're slowly realizing. That's why I was sort of getting ticked off a long ways back. It was clearly oversold, and people lapped up that hype...

Like the clip holder is stuck, or it literally won't budge in the slot? If it's the latter, not sure what to say. I guess you... could try applying non-conductive lube? Not sure what that would be but... I have no Idea, I've literally never had a GPU stuck in a PCIE slot...
No doubt about it, Bethesda were able to fool a lot of gamers this time around with their marketing in terms of pre-orders and day one purchases, making them think Starfield would be some epic next gen game of space exploration. Will they be able to do the same thing on ES6 if they do it equally crappy job making the game? Probably, their marketing is just that good and gamers believe the hype.

No doubt about it, Bethesda were able to fool a lot of gamers this time around with their marketing in terms of pre-orders and day one purchases, making them think Starfield would be some epic next gen game of space exploration. Will they be able to do the same thing on ES6 if they do it equally crappy job making the game? Probably, their marketing is just that good and gamers believe the hype.

Elder Scrolls is different because it's a known ip...Todd Howard overhyped and under-delivered with Starfield but he deserves credit for doing his job well

Back