Starfield

To me the assessment is one of balancing risk vs reward. The risk is if you buy a pre-order, and the game turns out to be shitty, you lose some money. The second risk is that you incentivize poor behavior in the industry. The reward is... Well.. What is the reward? We are talking digital sales. There are no units to run out of. If you see something you like on day one, you can still buy it on day one, and play it just like you could if you pre-ordered.

So even a small risk - when balanced against zero reward - seems like a too large risk.

If you had pre-ordered Cyberpunk 2077, you might have wished you had waited.

My ex pre-ordered CP2077 but I decided not to as I found too many red flags with it. Same with a lot of other big disappointment games though the years. My last pre-order was FF16 and I ended up absolutely loving the game. I picked up BG3 when it first hit EA and it’s been a very worthwhile purchase.

I can't imagine a high end Zen2 chip can't maintain a good 60-90fps, which ought to be good enough for anyone. I'd be more concerned about GPU on most modern single player titles.
True, but granted we're in the dark until we get some benchmarks. If it's heavily cpu limited, then zen 2 to zen 3 should get that extra 10fps. Not huge but he say's he can't afford to go below 60 so every lil bit should help. But if he upgrades the gpu to a 4070/ti he's going to be holding it back a bit with that zen 2. I've got a 3600 and i feel ok giving it a whirl once a sale goes on within the next month or so. But he was saying he wanted the most at 1440 with his 3060ti at med settings. I figured a zen 3 upgrade would be a good place to start. Not to mention the 5800 3d will for sure give him a huge uplift on the minimums in the game. The rest of the 5000 series probably not as much but anyway, We'll know for sure this weekend.

Really? So many things go into making a good game, and you are concerned with this? :p

View attachment 594657

Honestly, whether or not a game has raytracing is not even on my top 1000 list of "things I am interested in in a game" :p

Yeah, and ray tracing likely wouldn't matter that much. I think games will always do half baked implementation until the next gen of consoles. So far it looks good enough, though I won't complain about better graphics. But Dead Island 2 shows us that a game can still look amazing in terms of reflections and whatnot without ray tracing.

Yeah, and ray tracing likely wouldn't matter that much. I think games will always do half baked implementation until the next gen of consoles. So far it looks good enough, though I won't complain about better graphics. But Dead Island 2 shows us that a game can still look amazing in terms of reflections and whatnot without ray tracing.

Sometimes faking it looks better.

When they fake reflections they can easily make things look sharp, and they look great for the most part Even though it may be less realistic because it's not correctly reflecting the right angle and all that stuff you don't really notice unless you look closer and realize the angles are off, it's not showing the real stuff behind you, etc.

Ray tracing can reflect the real stuff at the real angles and be "more realistic" but the reflections typically have very low detail due to performance limitations. It works fine on some surfaces, but can stick out like a sore thumb on things that are supposed to have super clean detailed reflections like glass. Which can be more distracting than just using fake non ray traced reflections.

DLSS 3.5 will help that a lot of course. But yeah, I'm not playing this game because of the graphics.

So the game has no raytracing? That just means we can expect supreme performance.
Thats exactly how I feel. I want it to run great with good framerates. Don't get me wrong I do like raytracing, but not as much as I like a smooth game with good framerate.

The Digital Foundry comments were for the PC or Xbox?

Sounds reassuring. FPS is one thing, but frame-time issues, or other minor hitches or stutters, can drive me around the bend - especially if my frames actually are high.

Steam preload is up.

starf_preload.png

Has anyone preloaded a game on steam recently, is their decoding process faster now?
I'm on 600mbps I wonder if it would be faster to skip preloading.

Has anyone preloaded a game on steam recently, is their decoding process faster now?
My download says expected finish Sept 6th.

I always wondered why the Steam client doesn't just distributre game data as torrents on the backend. It would completely alleviate these kinds of high demand service slowdowns.

Looking forward to playing it, but in no rush. Will let it air out a bit once released - as it will probably need a good 4+ months to get past the slew of patch cycles it will need to address all the release bugs and added fixes. This is Bethesda, and as a major release, I'm pretty sure it won't be 100% solid for a while. Also hoping they add VR functionality - but that may be even further out. On the bright side, the price may also go down a bit around the xmas season to drive sales. I'm just not interested in beta testing it. :)

I keep on talking about ‘sense of community’ when buying a big game because I want to partake in the day one discussion - but are any of you in the path of Idalia? You might not be playing on day one. I’m on the West Coast.

I keep on talking about ‘sense of community’ when buying a big game because I want to partake in the day one discussion - but are any of you in the path of Idalia? You might not be playing on day one. I’m on the West Coast.
Was in the path but not anymore. I am in citrus county.

the recommended system requirements are not that high so this doesn't seem like a hardware intensive game...the lack of RT probably helps in that regard- similar to Atomic Heart which ran really well at launch as they decided to remove RT at the last minute (hopefully it gets added with a patch later)

the Creation Engine 2 seems like a decent upgrade in terms of visuals even without RT

It's 117GB on Game Pass. Unpacked it's over 140GB.
The decryption process is dependent on the speed of the drive you installed it on, not your internet connection, and the sustained speed will depend on how many files are smaller in size. I get anywhere between 500 and 3,000 MB/s (4,000-24,000 Mbps) installed on my SN850X, depending on the game.

AMD code times.

Came just to find this, I was wondering if the "premium" $100 code had early access. I've very specifically avoided any content about this game for most of this year, I want to have no expectations going in.

I can’t believe how conflicted I am about this release.

On the one hand, I want to play. On the other, my first ever girlfriend, having up and left me, completely out of the blue, without even saying anything, has forced me to examine my life - have I been exerting too much energy on my hobby; did she sense that, even though I tried to hide it… yeah, maybe.

It just feels wrong to be gaming when I’m hurting so much. I feel like I need to finish writing my novel instead of exerting energy on such a frivolous pass time.

I’ll bet that you guys who have kids have a built-in radar detector that sounds when you’re spending too much time frivolously on yourself?

I love gaming - but I think I carried too much of that passion with me from my single life when I met my lady. I had no experience with women and I really fucked it up, not being attentive near the end, taking her for granted. Five unimaginably wonderful years - gone.

Nah, my wife and I will starve ourselves if we get into a long gaming session (somehow when we play survival games we forget to eat) lol. Single player games Ill play and she will usually sit nearby and read a book, often commenting on my poor in game choices haha. You only live once, Eat the cheeseburger, go for a job, play the video game. Do what makes you happy

I can’t believe how conflicted I am about this release.

On the one hand, I want to play. On the other, my first ever girlfriend, having up and left me, completely out of the blue, without even saying anything, has forced me to examine my life - have I been exerting too much energy on my hobby; did she sense that, even though I tried to hide it… yeah, maybe.

It just feels wrong to be gaming when I’m hurting so much. I feel like I need to finish writing my novel instead of exerting energy on such a frivolous pass time.

I’ll bet that you guys who have kids have a built-in radar detector that sounds when you’re spending too much time frivolously on yourself?

I love gaming - but I think I carried too much of that passion with me from my single life when I met my lady. I had no experience with women and I really fucked it up, not being attentive near the end, taking her for granted. Five unimaginably wonderful years - gone.
Dude, sac up.

Do what makes you happy. Go on dating apps and find other chicks that game. Then ya'll can game together. Win win.

Back