Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

That's literally the implication of what I had said. Despite its updates, Jedi: Survivor is very much like the original game but builds on the gameplay of the first installment. Doom Eternal did something very different than all its predecessors, including the original games which never had platforming elements.

I've seen everything Star Wars. I'm not sure why you bring that up aside from perhaps misunderstanding what I said.

I flipped the example by mistake...but why can't the Doom Eternal universe also have those platforming sections?...the universe is built around fast paced combat and jumping...seems like adding another element is not out of character, it's just an evolution...they are not beholden to only stick with the elements of the original games...I loved Doom Eternal and it felt like Doom gameplay to me...a nice respite from the constant twitch-iness

plus iD is the original developer so they know the franchise better than anyone so I'm sure they are not going to add something which was out of place

well the patch installed and with DLSS3 I am hitting 240-270 fps which pairs up nicely with my oled 240hz screen. ATI FSR barely made any fps difference and added artifacts when I tried to use it. Game now feels like a triple a title when I'm playing it, hoping to finish it as the low fps blips (1% lows) and hitching was bugging the hell out of me before.

Last edited:
DLSS is not doing anything for me. I am getting the same exact fps, gpu usage and power usage no matter if its disabled or on any of the four settings. I tested frame generation and its working though.

EDIT: Ok the issue was from using DSR because DLSS will not work if running the game above the desktop resolution. To be clear, my native monitor resolution is 1440p and I was running 4k in fullscreen mode in the game. If I set the desktop to 4k then I can use DLSS just fine as the game will think 4k is my native res.

Last edited:
Having played it more I have to say:

--For all the complaining some people do, it is a fun game. Not revolutionary, but fun.

--The graphics really are stellar. Anyone trying to pretend like it isn't a noticeable step up for the last one is kidding themselves. It is a "next gen" experience. So, while they for sure didn't have it in the state it should be for launch (it might be there now), there IS a big improvement and I'm sure that is part of the performance cost.

--The raytracing looks great. I've seen a lot of shitting on it I guess because it doesn't totally change the appearance of the game, but it makes a nice enhancement, if your card can take it.

--The HDR grading is great, this game is SO WORTH playing in HDR.

That's literally the implication of what I had said. Despite its updates, Jedi: Survivor is very much like the original game but builds on the gameplay of the first installment. Doom Eternal did something very different than all its predecessors, including the original games which never had platforming elements.

I've seen everything Star Wars. I'm not sure why you bring that up aside from perhaps misunderstanding what I said.
Doom II had platforming elements long before Doom Eternal did despite the lack of a jumping feature. Lets not forget all the jumping and verticality introduced in Doom 2016.

I'm really glad that Stig Asmussen is back as Creative Director for this sequel...he was a major reason for the success of the first game and I'm sure Survivor will not disappoint...never let it be said that EA no longer publishes great games

terrible news...

‘Star Wars’ Video-Game Director Stig Asmussen Leaves Electronic Arts

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order and Jedi Survivor director Stig Asmussen is leaving EA, Bloomberg has learned...Asmussen and his team at Respawn helped revitalize Star Wars video games after a rocky decade for the franchise under EA...their success helped turn Respawn into one of EA’s top studios and even led the company to pull back on a mandate to add multiplayer to other games...

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-survivor-director-leaves-ea/

terrible news...

‘Star Wars’ Video-Game Director Stig Asmussen Leaves Electronic Arts

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order and Jedi Survivor director Stig Asmussen is leaving EA, Bloomberg has learned...Asmussen and his team at Respawn helped revitalize Star Wars video games after a rocky decade for the franchise under EA...their success helped turn Respawn into one of EA’s top studios and even led the company to pull back on a mandate to add multiplayer to other games...

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-survivor-director-leaves-ea/
The first time I saw this happen… a key developer leaving a studio… was Brian Moriarty leaving Infocom.

He went to LucasArts and developed a game called Loom.

I think it can be a big deal when one person leaves, even when there are dozens if not hundreds of people on the team.

The first time I saw this happen… a key developer leaving a studio… was Brian Moriarty leaving Infocom.

He went to LucasArts and developed a game called Loom.

I think it can be a big deal when one person leaves, even when there are dozens if not hundreds of people on the team.

Sefton Hill and Jamie Walker leaving Rocksteady is the most recent one that comes to mind...the studio hasn't been the same since, with their latest Suicide Squad game getting perpetually delayed

Since I got a new PC, I tried this again. With DLSS frame gen and using RT, game does improve a lot in Koboh and I was able to run around without any hitching or frame drops. Usually hovered between 90-110 fps vs. I think it was 60-80 fps. This is a significant step up and for a game like this frame gen just seems the right thing to do. Sad that AMD keeps messing up DLSS features in games like these (and Starfield) for no good reason. DLSS tech is so good and visual fidelity at 4K is dope af.

It does have stutter, but I don't find it to be a dealbreaker at all. It would be nice if they'd made the game run smoother but it is fun and very good looking.

It does have stutter, but I don't find it to be a dealbreaker at all. It would be nice if they'd made the game run smoother but it is fun and very good looking.

I agree...the stutter is there but it didn't bother me at all...I actually noticed it more in Fallen Order...Survivor is an excellent game and improves upon Fallen Order in every way...graphics are a bit soft and grainy but that was an intentional choice...it's not meant to be as detailed as Cyberpunk or Metro Exodus

I agree...the stutter is there but it didn't bother me at all...I actually noticed it more in Fallen Order...Survivor is an excellent game and improves upon Fallen Order in every way...graphics are a bit soft and grainy but that was an intentional choice...it's not meant to be as detailed as Cyberpunk or Metro Exodus
I imagine it is worse/more noticeable if you aren't running a VRR monitor. I've noticed that Gsync can really help with stutter in games because, depending on how big the stutter is, it isn't as noticeable or may even be not at all noticeable with VRR. Even with VRR it is still something you see and occasionally notice, and I agree the game would be better without it. However I don't think it is as big a deal as it is made out to be. Don't get me wrong: The game has room for improvement and thing I wish were fixed. Like one issue seems to be if you play with video settings, DLSS stops working until you restart the game which is stupid. I will not say Respawn released a programming masterpiece here.

BUT I think the crying is overblown. The game looks good and is fun to play. That's what really matters to me. It is not the first game that I've enjoyed that had issues and probably won't be the last.

Translation: no matter what hardware you have, the game has inherent stutter.
Only a fool thought that this game would be stutter free when they never even bothered to fix the first one. And of course there's always going to be the random asshat that says it runs perfect for them. The standards get lower and lower every year.

Reactions: Dion
like this
The issue being raised by DF isn’t that the game looks terrible and is no fun to play - but that it has inherent stutter. It might be minor to some - but it is there.

It’s nice to play games like this without stutter of any kind - and any developer should set their compass in that direction.

I imagine it is worse/more noticeable if you aren't running a VRR monitor. I've noticed that Gsync can really help with stutter in games because, depending on how big the stutter is, it isn't as noticeable or may even be not at all noticeable with VRR. Even with VRR it is still something you see and occasionally notice, and I agree the game would be better without it. However I don't think it is as big a deal as it is made out to be. Don't get me wrong: The game has room for improvement and thing I wish were fixed. Like one issue seems to be if you play with video settings, DLSS stops working until you restart the game which is stupid. I will not say Respawn released a programming masterpiece here.

BUT I think the crying is overblown. The game looks good and is fun to play. That's what really matters to me. It is not the first game that I've enjoyed that had issues and probably won't be the last.

Who doesn't have a VRR monitor? At this point they have been around for something like 7+ years. I assume most people have one with some type of Free Sync.

The issue being raised by DF isn’t that the game looks terrible and is no fun to play - but that it has inherent stutter. It might be minor to some - but it is there.

It’s nice to play games like this without stutter of any kind - and any developer should set their compass in that direction.
While I agree, I don't think "unacceptably poor" is a good way to describe it. Ya it studders, ya it would be better without that, no it isn't a big deal IMO. Particularly since games not having perfectly smoother performance is not something new, nor limited to PC ports. In terms of modern console stuff, Tears of the Kingdom is an example I'd use. People praise it for its optimization and open world and all that, and deservedly so. However, it does drop to 20fps, a lot, and it IS noticeable and would be nicer if it didn't. I'm not going to rail on Nintendo for it, game is still fun even with that. Heck back in the NES days you had games that, in addition to slowing down/dropping frames, would literally have sprites disappear because the game put more on a line than the hardware could handle.

I'm not trying to say that games shouldn't strive to be without issues, just that I weigh the issues vs how the overall experience is and in the case of stutter in Survivor, it isn't bad and I certainly wouldn't call it "unacceptably poor."

Who doesn't have a VRR monitor? At this point they have been around for something like 7+ years. I assume most people have one with some type of Free Sync.
Plenty of people actually. Some people don't upgrade very often, particularly monitors since they usually will work for quite a long time. The Steam survey still shows 60% of people using a 1920x1080 display. While some of those are probably new VRR/high frame rate monitors, I bet a ton are old monitors or TVs and are 60Hz only, or even early 120Hz fixed refresh. Likewise, some people that have them may choose not to use it, instead using ULMB since they two are mutually exclusive. Even some people who get new monitors, are going to choose something cheap that doesn't do VRR. If we hop over to Dell, largest monitor supplier in the world, there's plenty of cheap (and some not so cheap) non-VRR displays on there. The popular P2422H doesn't do Freesync. Yes, you can get others in the same price range that do, but it is a popular one they sell that doesn't.

TVs are also a bigger issue since if you want VRR not only does the TV have to support it, but so do the intermediate components. Lot of older receivers out there that work perfectly well, but don't do VRR. You'd have to bypass the receiver and hook into the TV, then send audio back from the TV to the receiver which has its own issues. I'm sure some people have a setup that could do it, but don't, because of that.

Heck I had that for awhile. My computer is wired to both a monitor and my TV. My TV is an S95B, does 120Hz and VRR. However I had an X4400h receiver, no VRR, also no 120fps 4k. My choices were to wire in to the TV directly, and put up with only having 5.1 speakers working as well as strange audio glitches, or go through the receiver and have everything work smoothly, but deal with 60Hz fixed. I went through the receiver. I did end up buying a new receiver so now I have glorious 4k 120 VRR, but that was another expensive component that needed upgrading and not everyone is game for that.

VRR does not help with hardly any of the stuttering issues I see. If anything it can actually make it worse in some cases. For instance Dead Space has way more noticeable traversal stuttering when using gsync.

VRR does not help with hardly any of the stuttering issues I see. If anything it can actually make it worse in some cases. For instance Dead Space has way more noticeable traversal stuttering when using gsync.
That's odd, when we played Dead Space I really didn't notice traversal stuttering, and I figured part of the reason was using Gsync.

Got my first 4k60 monitor with a gsync module in early 2015.... there were lower resolution ones with it even earlier. So really, it's more like 9 years. Still, adoption is slow. Some are just now upgrading to 2560x1440. I was on 2560x1600 in 2008, and high refresh of 1440p in 2013.

TONS of monitors have freesync but gsync was not nearly as common over the years on more affordable monitors. And although many older freesync monitors will let you enable gsync it will not always work properly like those with official gsync compatibility or better yet a gsync module. And again VRR is not a fix for most of the types of stuttering we get in most games anyway.

Got my first 4k60 monitor with a gsync module in early 2015.... there were lower resolution ones with it even earlier. So really, it's more like 9 years. Still, adoption is slow. Some are just now upgrading to 2560x1440. I was on 2560x1600 in 2008, and high refresh of 1440p in 2013.

I think the real question is when did affordable Free Sync monitors become common. I suppose that was around 5 years ago? G Sync module monitors were a lot more costly, so I guess there are still a lot of people without VRR. Which is one of the biggest upgrades you can do for your PC if you don't have it.

DF also leaves out the fact that the worst of the stutter is on Koboh in the open map section with Pylon's etc... I saw very little stutter on the other planets or even some of the other quest areas on Koboh, there was some on Coruscant.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game despite it's issues. I do have high end hardware, so that does help for sure (13900k, 4090). It runs reasonably well on my 5800x3D, 3080Ti machine too, although the open area of Koboh runs noticeably worse on that machine.

was announced for Q1 2024 I think, so could end up in the regular driver quite ahead of schedule.

I'm only just now coming back to this and I think it looks/runs incredible now. The DLSS update seems to have improved Nvidia performance even without frame generation...although that's pretty sweet, too. I'm not far enough to comment on specific areas further into the game, but the early areas that were a jittery mess are butter smooth now. I think it has the same type of micro-hitching when transitioning between specific areas (just like the original did), but I can handle that. When I couldn't handle was the game getting choppy AF when I was just panning around, or even in cutscenes.

Doesn't the game still crash in the same place with ray tracing that it did before? I swear I thought I saw people still reporting that issue. And it's funny that they seem to be working on the next installment of this game while not even fully fixing this one never mind the first game. With the low standards of the average person though I guess they have nothing to lose. Dead space still has some issues too so it's clear EA just doesn't give a shit.

Doesn't the game still crash in the same place with ray tracing that it did before? I swear I thought I saw people still reporting that issue. And it's funny that they seem to be working on the next installment of this game while not even fully fixing this one never mind the first game. With the low standards of the average person though I guess they have nothing to lose. Dead space still has some issues too so it's clear EA just doesn't give a shit.
I mean so far I've not had it crash with RT enabled. Not sure where it is supposed to crash, but it seems to be fine thus far.

Koboh I believe is the name of the area.
Then no, it doesn't. That's the first plan you go to after the intro, and one you free roam on a lot so I've spent a fair bit of time there. It has some traversal stutter, but no crashes.

That's some nice changes again. So when I do decide to start playing the game it will actually be a finished product more or less! I wonder if they mean the animation issues that DF picked up in their latest video. If so that's significant since I do notice that sort of thing.

I'm sure I'll love it too having enjoyed the first one and being a Star Wars nerd.

Another good time with the EA app. This relatively small update took quite a while and only used a tiny fraction of my actual download speeds. The preparing, applying and finalizing took even longer. And also noticed that the app completely reset all of my settings including where I download games and all the privacy and friend settings essentially went back to defaults. In fact, I now can't even uncheck the setting that sends diagnostic information to them.

Last edited:
Back